Join Early Retirement Today

Glad I have cash and stable value
Old 02-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad I have cash and stable value

Only one month from ER and I'm remarkably sanguine about this correction thanks to having 7 years of spending in stable value and cash.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #2

A correction was long overdue in my opinion. Corrections are not a bad thing .
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Only one month from ER and I'm remarkably sanguine about this correction thanks to having 7 years of spending in stable value and cash.
+1

Along with an AA that one can sleep with at night, it makes it easier to ride these things out.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
I have more years than that in cash and TSP G Fund, although rubbing it in while people are losing money is a little distasteful somehow. I would imagine that you feel the same.

I know this conservative AA is one that I can stick with no matter what, since it was well tested in 2008-2009. I probably didn't make as much from 2010-2013 as I could have.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
Administrator

I sleep pretty well regardless . This still looks to me like run of the mill volatility, nothing to write home about. If anything, holding cash right now is unsettling, because it's not obvious when and how to invest it.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I sleep pretty well regardless . This still looks to me like run of the mill volatility, nothing to write home about. If anything, holding cash right now is unsettling, because it's not obvious when and how to invest it.
+1. How soon some forget how well we did last year. If you were mostly cash going back a year or more, you're way worse off than most any balanced AA. YMMV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.1 KB, 21 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #7

... and there are 11 more months to go before the year ends. At the end of the year, most are predicting that the equity will be up. My opinion is, it will be up albeit in single digit range.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't interpret the OP as recommending a high cash AA or even saying they moved into cash.... I think they were just reinforcing that regardless of your AA strategy, as you approach retirement it is comforting to have enough in cash/sv to withstand the volatility.

And i say... Amen.

(of course you could argue the original title was designed to get everyone riled up!)
Old 02-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have more years than that in cash and TSP G Fund, although rubbing it in while people are losing money is a little distasteful somehow. I would imagine that you feel the same.

I know this conservative AA is one that I can stick with no matter what, since it was well tested in 2008-2009. I probably didn't make as much from 2010-2013 as I could have.
Well my 60/40 AA means that I'm losing money overall.....I've just got 7 years of myopia.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:27 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis2 View Post
(of course you could argue the original title was designed to get everyone riled up!)
...which is always what happens when the market has a drop. The "I told you so" crowd come out of the woodwork like cockroaches with the lights off.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:30 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
+1. How soon some forget how well we did last year. If you were mostly cash going back a year or more, you're way worse off than most any balanced AA. YMMV
I am one of these. Sadly, I 'knew' the market was going to crash and shorted the S&P all year (2013) with a portion of my investments and held a lot of cash because i was fearful of the 'big one' right before i retired. I was wrong. Sure I am finally getting back a bit of what I left on the table but at significant opportunity (educational) expense. Soon I will re-enter the market at more reasonable levels, into a ETF strategy developed with knowledge from this board. Painful lesson, but not too late to recover.

Thanks to all of you who have imparted your knowledge to the uneducated.
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:35 PM   #12

Been investing since 1974, just another day in the market. Soon the talking heads will find some way to link the Bronco's loss yesterday to the sell-off today. Does reversion to the mean, ring a bell anyone ? Yes, those in marginal situations might want to be concerned but in the over all scheme of things, it's no big deal what the market is doing. After last year's run, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a bit of profit taking.
Old 02-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

First year FIRE for me.

Im 70/25/5.

This doesn't even make me flinch.....

Cheers everyone!
shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post
First year FIRE for me.

Im 70/25/5.

Cheers everyone!
I hope there's a pension to compliment this AA
Old 02-03-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Because we will have high spending the next 3 years kids (2 kids in college) and will be withdrawing a relatively higher percentage of our portfolio (and then our spending will basically halve at that point) we set aside part of our 55/45 portfolio shortly after the beginning of the year (before the drop) and put it in cash or near cash so that we would be less vulnerable to a large drop in the next 2 years. I don't have any reason to think this "correction" will be such a large drop, but I definitely do feel better with having done the set aside.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:38 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post

Why is that? (Don't think I'm looking a concern horse in the mouth.)

Firecalc gives me 96%

Vanguard gave me 100% success with my AA.
shasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 02:41 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shasta View Post
First year FIRE for me.

Im 70/25/5.

Cheers everyone
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfirev5 View Post
foxfire: Why would your risk tolerance be appropriate/suitable for anyone else, especially a total stranger (presumably)?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Soon the talking heads will find some way to link the Bronco's loss yesterday to the sell-off today.
They actually did a few days ago - the old Super Bowl "indicator"
Super Bowl Indicator: Why a Broncos win will be better for stocks | Breakout - Yahoo Finance

"...the Super Bowl theory, which unequivocally has shown that when an NFC team wins, the S&P 500 has rallied an average of 10% in the ensuing 11 months and was positive 80% of the time, which is more than double the 4% gains that follow an AFC victory"

"...Specifically, following the Bronco’s last four Super Bowl losses, the market averaged gains of only two percent"
Old 02-03-2014, 04:00 PM   #19

I know we're supposed to avoid market timing, but I couldn't resist and threw a few $K into QQQ at COB today. We'll see if I seem brilliant or idiotic in a few days.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #20
gone traveling

This isn't even a correction yet and most would consider a correction healthy anyway. These can be buying opportunities for those with cash.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote