Glad I'm not a millennial

Each to his own, I suppose. How about I'll call you "old turnip-top"* and you'll get half the "badge." :D

LOL, I always considered the term old fart as a badge of honor.

*reference to Lewis Carroll's Phantasmagoria

(Note: I hate the way some people use fecal terminology - farts, poops, etc. - to refer to older people).

This is why I prefer to say I was born during the post WWII Baby Boom, rather than saying I'm a "boomer". To me that is a fecal term and a pretty gross way to refer to a whole generation.

Hmmm....I never thought of it that way. "Boomer," to me, is a ballistic-missile-equipped submarine (what a strange way to refer to 20 years' worth of births).

Still, I dislike all generational labels, stereotypes of any sort, and euphemisms related to age.

saying I'm a "boomer". To me that is a fecal term .

Wait, "Boomer" is a fecal term?
And here I thought with an older brother that I'd gotten to hear every single possible term that could be used to describe body function.
Who knew?
That will make me snicker like a teenager the next time I hear the term on tv and associate it with, you know... ;)

Some while back (after checking urbandictionary.com once too often) I concluded that there may not be a single English word, over 2 letters long, that does not - either in the U.S. or the UK - embody a slang term for male genitals, female genitals, sex, or poop.

Amethyst

And here I thought with an older brother that I'd gotten to hear every single possible term that could be used to describe body function.
Who knew?
That will make me snicker like a teenager the next time I hear the term on tv and associate it with, you know... ;)

Nor to a bunch of younger ones, ragging on Oldpeople. Until you have walked in older people's shoes, you have no right to make assumptions about them. And there is no way to walk in older people's shoes (metaphorically speaking - not their actual shoes!) other than by growing old yourself.

(Note: I hate the way some people use fecal terminology - farts, poops, etc. - to refer to older people).

I view people who should know better who complain about younger generations as old farts, period. As a boomer, I have walked a mile in and with older people's shoes, and as I stated above, have been embarrassed by my own generation for about half my life (flower power/the me generation/disco/self-help movement/perhaps the biggest chill in the history of mankind/yuppies/power ties/shoulder pads/big hair...and now...bucket lists...egad). OTOH, I personally have the greatest respect for members of the silent generation, and would never think of using fecal terminology to refer to them.

Those who criticize younger generations are incapable of embracing change--one of the worst things you can do as you age.

Aw heck. I like disco.

And my hair is/was naturally "big." It is that Irish curliness, doncha know. It is a little thinner now that it's turned gray, but still dominates any description of me ("the lady with the hair").
:blush:
I have been embarrassed by my own generation for about half my life (flower power/the me generation/disco/self-help movement/perhaps the biggest chill in the history of mankind/yuppies/power ties/shoulder pads/big hair...and now...bucket lists...egad). .

Last edited:
Each to his own, I suppose. How about I'll call you "old turnip-top"* and you'll get half the "badge." :D

*reference to Lewis Carroll's Phantasmagoria

Thats fine, I am not very thin skinned in my old age, so call me whatever:D.

Aw heck. I like disco.
:blush:

Me too. I never said I didn't embarrass myself. :)

Perhaps instead of avoiding seeing the value in what new generations bring to the table, it would be more valuable to look at what growing older could bring:

Embracing the Japanese Approach to Aging – Next Avenue

In Japan, the transition to retirement from a period focused on work and family often includes a re-evaluation of life's purpose. And older Japanese adults seem to rely on a different compass to assess their identity and social roles, says Yoshiko Matsumoto, a linguistics professor at Stanford University and the author of Faces of Aging: The Lived Experiences of the Elderly in Japan.

"Older people in Japan do seek to be useful," Matsumoto says. "But they base their idea of being useful on their life purpose, or 'ikigai.' It guides why they do what they do each day, from exercise to social engagement to productive contributions and engagement with their families and society."

As Louise Hay says, "each age is perfect."

well let me tell you about MY generation... uphill, both directions, through a blizzard, in the dark...that's how we got to and from school.

:dance:

Nowadays, the Denali's and mini-vans are parked at the bus-stop 1/2 a block away from their home, heat blaring, gas guzzling away.

But you didn't take into account that the Denali's and minivans drove uphill, both ways, through a blizzard, in the dark, and the driver was barefoot. :-D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Dunno about "boomer", but "boom-boom" is a fecal term. That's what Edith Bunker used to called it.

Dunno about "boomer", but "boom-boom" is a fecal term. That's what Edith Bunker used to called it.

In All in the Family, "boom boom" was the nickname for Mildred Turner, a buxom waitress who worked at Kelsey's/Archie's bar for a while. I believe Edith once called her that, too.

Well, since you don't mind being called after something smelly and full of germs, how about Old Petri Dish? Old Unwashed Jockstrap? Old Doggie Chew Toy?

Somehow, someone who objects to being nicknamed after intestinal gas and fecal material just doesn't strike me as being within the realm of "thin-skinned." :LOL:

Thats fine, I am not very thin skinned in my old age, so call me whatever:D.

Well, of all the comments on this thread, the only one I see as worth responding to is the mistaken credit to The Who for Young Man Blues. It's a Mose Allison song.

Somehow, someone who objects to being nicknamed after intestinal gas and fecal material just doesn't strike me as being within the realm of "thin-skinned." :LOL:

I'm not sure I understand that logic, but if you feel you are indeed thick skinned, I do not object:LOL:.

Who knew?

Sarah - you crack me up!

a. I actually have a picture of my sweet mother as a little girl, barefoot, walking to school.
b. You can double-entendre any sentence by saying "that's what she said" in response. try it. Rimshots are good too.
c. Gen Xers are the ones who should be complaining--the boomers kept working in the good jobs and the Xers ended up underemployed living in their parents' basement.

Glad I'm not a millennial. I'd be so, so tired of all these codgers who just don't get it!

Dudes, why would I want to retire and travel when I can VR the whole thing right now from my living room.

Clueless losers!

Fun aside, are they around codgers enough to get tired of them? Even when I lived in South Florida, where Old People abound, I didn't come into contact with codgers all that much. Young people hung out with young people, and codgers had their own enclaves.

The codgers were clearly another species. For one thing, they all looked exactly alike to my young eyes - short, stocky, and gray all over - except the females had a bit more hair, and usually wore pastel colors. You'd see codgers promenading ponderously along sidewalks on gigantic high-wheeled tricycles with sun awnings. Or they'd congregate in open-air shopping strips, waiting for the drugstore to open so they could grab sale items. Or you'd have to dodge a codger backing his or her enormous car out of a parking space without looking.

But aside from that, we really had very little to do with each other.

Glad I'm not a millennial. I'd be so, so tired of all these codgers who just don't get it!

Clueless losers!

Hmm...

25 years * 52 weeks * 60 work hours = 78,000 work hours

40 years * 52 weeks * 40 work hours = 83,200 work hours

Difference: 5,200 work hours (or ~2.5 "work years")

IMO lazy managers can only judge the perceived performance of their subordinates by how long they are staying at work as apposed to living life outside the office. Truly good management judges performance by results and what gets truly accomplished each week and the quality of that work. Unless you are talking factory work, they are often unrelated. Lots of white collar workers who work 50-60 hour weeks do so to either look good on the surface with little to show for it underneath, or they have to stay longer to keep up with smarter more efficient folks who can do better work in half the time. This is the major falsehood with Corp America today. One way to get out from under this trap if you're a more efficient, higher productive employee is to be self employed and sell your work as a consultant where you get paid for what you deliver, not by. how many hours your ass it clocked in a chair by some idiot.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

IMO lazy managers can only judge the perceived performance of their subordinates by how long they are staying at work as apposed to living life outside the office. Truly good management judges performance by results and what gets truly accomplished each week and the quality of that work. Unless you are talking factory work, they are often unrelated. Lots of white collar workers who work 50-60 hour weeks do so to either look good on the surface with little to show for it underneath, or they have to stay longer to keep up with smarter more efficient folks who can do better work in half the time. This is the major falsehood with Corp America today. One way to get out from under this trap if you're a more efficient, higher productive employee is to be self employed and sell your work as a consultant where you get paid for what you deliver, not by. how many hours your ass it clocked in a chair by some idiot.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
+1000
One of the great things I found about being a self employed microprocessor software consultant (since 1981, until 2 yrs ago, now I am a lazy bum) was that was exactly that. Nobody knew if I was writing their code at the local coffee shop, or in my bathrobe in the middle of the night. They only saw if it worked. I often worked with people who sat in cubicles all day, I would never wish that on even an enemy.
And indeed one even told me that they worked late and came in on Saturdays when a project completion was overdue just to make management happy, knowing it wouldn't change how much actually got accomplished.

On the other hand, it is amazing how much people can accomplish when they have to concentrate on getting it done, rather than looking like they are getting it done.

But.... glad it is not my problem anymore :)

Ironically, some of my breakthrough ideas came overnight from my subconscious. So I would appear to be extremely productive at work. I always chose my own hours and even served as a role model to my employees to get out by 5PM. Morale went up and so did productivity!

Back
Top Bottom