Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2007, 07:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
clinton had one year of a surplus and the national debt still increased every single year he was in office. ...it's not a lie, but the truth is stretched very thin
Did he inhale or not !

Strictly speaking it's true. Per the unified budget that now includes the social security trust fund they put more money away that year than they took out. And since they will be cutting SS and Medicare payments at some stage in the future you can ignore that pesky talk about unfunded liabilities.

ERD:

You have it all figured out. We going to now raise your taxes to fund some more investment.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2007, 07:59 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster View Post

ERD:

You have it all figured out. We going to now raise your taxes to fund some more investment.
Just cut the 'spending' as much as you raise the 'investment' and it will be tax neutral. No tax increase needed.

Of course, I'd need to be inhaling something to believe that our politicians would actually do such a rational thing .

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 08:56 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Of course, I'd need to be inhaling something to believe that our politicians would actually do such a rational thing .
-ERD50
Its not a case about being rational, the politicians are not going to mess
with a large block of voters. So they are going to have to try to do this
via the back door. ie increase taxes on SS, change how the COLA is
calculated, etc. Most of the voters aren't rational either.
TJ
p.s. Boy I hate it when I feel I have to defend politicians
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote