Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2018, 09:43 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
O.P.
At your age I was "All In" all the time. (95/5)
Roll on Brother!

That describes me as well. Until my early 50’s was always 90+ % in equities. Not fun, but rode out three significant market downturns over that period. Worked out fine for me.
SpinDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2019, 09:55 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not rebalancing right now. I'm heavy in stocks and selling now would be a mistake. I'm all in and increased my percentage of Salary into stocks by another 5%. I have another few years to work before my goal date and could work longer if needed. When the markets recover, even if it takes a year or so, I will consider a rebalancing to more bonds and equities since by then I will be much closer to retirement.
Old 01-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Have some additional cash than expected from Q4 distributions.

But already over my equity percentage for the target AA so not sure, may put it in a CD for a year or two.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 04:47 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m slowly moving towards a more aggressive AA. Previously, used mostly target date funds to get me to roughly age in bonds. Now, plan to use target date funds in tax advantaged accounts based on my expected retirement date (2030 to 2035), which is more aggressive than age in bonds. I plan to move my taxable assets to rental real estate.
segfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 05:48 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did about 25% of rebalancing into stocks on Dec 21 and plan to do the remainder of the mutual stock purchases in Jan/Feb on market swings down (or not on dips, if we continue to go back up). I was about 6.5% under allocated.

We'll see how that timing works.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:00 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

The market moves in the 4th quarter made a big difference in my 2019 rebalancing. The only two changes will be in bonds, the stocks have taken care of themselves (no class above or below its band).

That was easy!

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #67

Being we have no pensions and I am 62 and husband is 64 and still working, but will retire in 1-2 years- and I will have to pay for my health insurance until I am age 65 at that point- I am re-balancing at the end of this week when I can find the time- probably go down to 30% or even 25% stock mutual funds/etf's and the rest bond mutual funds (and some I-Bonds) and cash. Hubby's 401k is in a stable value fund except for 5% in Employer stock. I rolled over my 401k into a Treasury Money Market fund when I left my job in Sept. and I left it there.
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:09 PM   #68

When the market was reaching new highs over late 2017 and early 2018 I was taking money out a bit...got my AA down to about 20% (I have rental properties that make up about 40% of my AA). Then, as things started to drop late in 2018 I started slowly buying back in...and now I'm up to about 32% equities. I will not go any higher than 40%, as I just FIRE'd and that's all I'm comfortable with.

5 years ago I met with a CFP and he said I should stay at about 60-70% equities or I'd not keep up with inflation. I told him I'd just w**k a couple more years, save more, and then I wouldn't have to be that heavily invested....so that's what I did. It was worth it to me to not feel a pit in my stomach when the market drops 20-30% like it has recently...and I'm now glad I did that.

It will come back up...it always does...just may take quite some time as usual .
Old 01-02-2019, 03:01 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffman52 View Post
I'm not rebalancing right now. I'm heavy in stocks and selling now would be a mistake. I'm all in and increased my percentage of Salary into stocks by another 5%. I have another few years to work before my goal date and could work longer if needed. When the markets recover, even if it takes a year or so, I will consider a rebalancing to more bonds and equities since by then I will be much closer to retirement.
?? If you are heavy into stocks, why would rebalancing have you selling stocks? Seems like it would have you buying stocks.

What you mention late in your paragraph is choosing a new, more conservative, asset allocation. That is not rebalancing. Once you have selected and adjusted assets to a target AA, then you rebalance after it drifts from that target AA.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:33 PM   #70
Confused about dryer sheets

Scared

I dont know all the abbreviations that you all use and don’t dare make those kind of investments. Been saving all my life and not many good investments just hope i make it .
farky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:23 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
Being we have no pensions and I am 62 and husband is 64 and still working, but will retire in 1-2 years- and I will have to pay for my health insurance until I am age 65 at that point- I am re-balancing at the end of this week when I can find the time- probably go down to 30% or even 25% stock mutual funds/etf's and the rest bond mutual funds (and some I-Bonds) and cash. Hubby's 401k is in a stable value fund except for 5% in Employer stock. I rolled over my 401k into a Treasury Money Market fund when I left my job in Sept. and I left it there.
I'm not sure that now is the right time to rebalance from equities into bond funds and cash...you'll be making the losses permanent...better to do the rebalancing when your mutual funds are up...?
HI Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:25 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by farky View Post
I dont know all the abbreviations that you all use and don’t dare make those kind of investments. Been saving all my life and not many good investments just hope i make it .
Welcome! Abbreviations used commonly on this site can be found here:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...rum-34884.html
HI Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Going all in? ...Nope. I’m in a OMY, O +.5MY stage right now (18 months is the current target). Now at 60/40 AA and focusing on building up 3 yrs of cash to over expenses, as well as still just getting that 401K employer match. I think that Bear will finally hit (S&P ~2350) officially after the earning season for the Holidays (which I expect to be good), plus after the Super Bowl. Folks party (and spend $) for the Super Bowl like its 1999. I love NFL playoffs and this is the best weekend of the year! Plus, many haven't done their taxes yet to see just how much they actually saved from the change in tax brackets. That will provide a little confidence boost. I think it will be short-lived though and will putter out by early spring. 3 years (avg) to rebound from the Bear. So I'll be retiring on a climb out of that Bear. If not, I'll retire anyway . Go Seahawks!
JackJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:09 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

For grins I checked our current assets. Rentals still figure large: using the tax man's "True Cash Value" and decreasing that value by 25% to give a cash in fist after tax number we have 33% of our investable wealth in rentals. Loans and property contracts make up 24.8%. Back in mid October I moved about 5% of our money out of California municipal bonds and into the bank, so we now have 23% in plain old cash and CDs.That leaves us with 1.33% in remaining California bonds and 17.8% in stocks. Guess that's why we could be down in the market but still have the net worth grow.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:56 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstillson View Post
I am eyeing Celgene again because 2020 earnings are supposed to be around $12.50 a share and it is trading for $58

It does have some problems in in late 2022 with patents but could still easily be in the PE6 range by then after hitting PE3.5 in 2020.

I mean this compares to some other stocks in the market who celebrate at PE40
You pull the trigger?
jimnjana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:01 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Just the usual DCA'ing into index funds, for us. (I accidentally typed "index fuds" at first, for those familiar with the acronym...)
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:31 AM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
You pull the trigger?
Sort of. I bought some and sold it a couple of times for a few dollars but I was out of it when they got bought out.

I really didn't think that big of a deal was going to be made...it is a pretty huge amount of money.

Oh well, you can't win them all.
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure we have enough of a Bear to go all in even if one believes that is is a good idea (I don't).

As of today the Bear seems to be playing hide-n-seek with us. It shows itself, growls and snorts, takes a few swipes, draws some blood, but then retreats back into the bushes where it seems to be watching us.

What is it planning? Are we just a possible threat? Or are we prey? If we are just a threat, the bear may be happy to track us, scare us and then go on its way after we have retreated back down the trail a bit. If we are prey, it will come for as big a chunk of us as it can get.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:59 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

That is the dilemma right? Go in big here at ~23,000 and feel nice when the market returns to 26000

OR

feel really bad if things just fall off a cliff and the market drops to 10,000
gstillson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by big-papa View Post
Wasn't going to sell it regardless. Have been diverting capital gains/dividends elsewhere for a while now. Over time it's become a pretty small percentage of my portfolio where it's neither helping nor harming. A fleeting opportunity arose to dump all of it but in the current environment it only lasted a day and I missed it. So in the portfolio it stays awaiting either another opportunity to sell at a loss and replace it with something I do like or, failing that, wait till I retire and withdraw from it just like everything else.
I'm with Reno-Jay on this one. Any percentage of a gain is better than any loss. Pretty basic, but sometimes we can get a bit too cute in our fine-tuning.

Maybe not always true with the non-tax hard cliffs for government benefits like ACA, etc.

Ha