Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Where will the price of gold by in 5 years?
Over the next 5 years gold will out perform the SP500 by 10% or more 18 32.14%
Over the next 5 years gold will be with plus or minus 10% of the SP500 16 28.57%
Over the next 5 years gold will under perform the SP500 by 10% or more 22 39.29%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Gold
Old 04-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Gold

There have been several discussion recently on gold.* Just wondering what how the forum felt about it going forward?
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Gold
Old 04-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Can we have one more option? How about:

"There is no fundamental way to value gold, so I have no clue, and I avoid investing in things about which I have no clue."
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 08:46 PM   #3

I'm enjoying this brief moment of looking smart by having a significant stake in Vanguard's precious metals fund. It won't last ...

Though I will always keep some portion of our portfolio in precious metals. Fiat currencies have a mixed record ... not crazy ... just history.

While I will be somewhat surprised if we see $2K gold, it is certainly not impossible.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:12 PM   #4

I thought the topic said "God"... now that would have been an interesting poll...
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb
There have been several discussion recently on gold. Just wondering what how the forum felt about it going forward?
I'm not invested in gold (apart from anything picked up in a Total Stock Market Index) but I think it will probably continue to rise over the next year or so. After that, whether it will decrease or level off, I have no opinion as of yet. For now I'll probably stay on the sidelines and learn.

Interesting I just saw this article on CNN a short while ago:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/06/pf/g...ting/index.htm
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #6

A lot of gold bugs here.... Can't say I see any long-term value in a thing like gold, at the moment......
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Can we have one more option? How about:

"There is no fundamental way to value gold, so I have no clue, and I avoid investing in things about which I have no clue."
No, you can't! That is way to logical of an answer and the price of gold is not based on logic
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:15 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You boys should know that I have gone from being a peckerwood to being a rich peckerwood in the last few years, by doing just what is not supposed to be done by intelligent people.

Number 1 big winner- energy. #2- Japan #3-gold. My plan is and always will be to fade hubris. I am not real smart, but I am real misanthropic, which just may work better anyway.

I would like to have the balls to let it all ride, but I am prudent enough to take most or all my original stake off. I think gold or energy could go way higher, but they could also have big setbacks. I do not think that the bull in either market is anywhere near over. Sure they are talked about now, but where is the hubris? Still at the Fed, in NASDAQ, etc.

My life will be sweet if the damn QQQQ will just stop going up.

Ha
Old 04-07-2006, 04:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I would have checked the "I have no friggin' idea." option.

Audrey
Old 04-07-2006, 05:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm not there yet, but I am starting to think seriously about buying some long dated puts on gold when the bull has run some more. The gold market has every indication of being in a bubble, complete with every moron throwing their lunch money into the metal.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:08 AM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
I'm not there yet, but I am starting to think seriously about buying some long dated puts on gold when the bull has run some more.* The gold market has every indication of being in a bubble, complete with every moron throwing their lunch money into the metal.
I guess I am one of those morons, but as I know virtually no one else who owns gold, silver, or precious metals stocks, I am not sure where you are finding all your "lunch money gold bugs." In fact, most people still seem to be stuck in your mindset that gold's increase is an aberation that cannot continue. We are far, far from being in a bubble.

Focu$ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 08:20 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focu$ed
I guess I am one of those morons, but as I know virtually no one else who owns gold, silver, or precious metals stocks, I am not sure where you are finding all your "lunch money gold bugs." In fact, most people still seem to be stuck in your mindset that gold's increase is an aberation that cannot continue. We are far, far from being in a bubble.

Heheh, listen to the radio shows that Goldline International does, and you will see what I am talking about.

- George Orwell

Old 04-07-2006, 08:29 AM   #13
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Heheh, listen to the radio shows that Goldline International does, and you will see what I am talking about.
Well of course if it is a show specifically about gold, which I assume by the name it is, then people who believe gold is returning to favor after 20+ years of being a depressed asset class, will be the ones listening and buying. If the show was called Googleline International, you would have all Google enthusiasts,no?
Old 04-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Goldline International is the same company that runs those "Make Big $ Working From Home Stuffing Envelopes" ads, right?

Old 04-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well of course if it is a show specifically about gold, which I assume by the name it is, then people who believe gold is returning to favor after 20+ years of being a depressed asset class, will be the ones listening and buying. If the show was called Googleline International, you would have all Google enthusiasts,no?*
My specific criticism is that they people calling into the show are the same clueless retail fad-chasers who piled into dotcoms in late 1999, tried to start flipping RE in 2005, etc. They don't really understand what they are buying or how it is priced, but they have seen strong recent performance and want in, just like all the mutual fund investors who keep buying the "flavor of the month" fund. I also am amazed at the sophisticated mix of appealing to both fear AND greed that is used to pitch gold on the show. Its like the host used to be a life insurance salesman or something. Listen to the show and you might understand why I regard the gold market with suspicion.

- George Orwell

Old 04-07-2006, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
My specific criticism is that they people calling into the show are the same clueless retail fad-chasers who piled into dotcoms in late 1999, tried to start flipping RE in 2005, etc.
Yeah, the gold rush right now seems highly reminiscent of the tech-rush and the real estate-rush get-rich-quick-and-easy mentality.

We know the tech-bubble popped. The jury is still out on real estate, but it seems like the bubble growth days are over at least.

I have seen those cheesy sales pitches for real estate in the past couple years and thought to myself - man, this must be a bubble when you have this kinda stuff going on ... but then of course, I watched as the bubble continued for a couple more years to my chagrin ...

My hunch is that the correction for gold is a year or two away, but that it's coming. I think the most I'll take out of this period is the understanding that a small allocation in precious metals is not a bad thing to add to my asset allocation eventually.
Lusitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #17
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
My specific criticism is that they people calling into the show are the same clueless retail fad-chasers who piled into dotcoms in late 1999, tried to start flipping RE in 2005, etc.* They don't really understand what they are buying or how it is priced, but they have seen strong recent performance and want in, just like all the mutual fund investors who keep buying the "flavor of the month" fund.* I also am amazed at the sophisticated mix of appealing to both fear AND greed that is used to pitch gold on the show.* Its like the host used to be a life insurance salesman or something.* Listen to the show and you might understand why I regard the gold market with suspicion.
OKay, now I completely understand your concern. I believe in buying something based on an understanding of WHY it should go up, not just BECAUSE it is going up. And I hate to see anyone get sucked into spending money on something just because the person on the other end is a good talker. Sigh. Of course if you got into real estate early, I guess you did make money, by sheer luck perhaps. And in this case the people should luck out as well, because I really do understand the reasons the metals and commodities are going up, and I have an unshakeable faith that they are going higher, energy and gold and silver in particular. I have spent six years learning more about economics, monetary history, market cycles etc. until I arrived at my current convictions. And I have put my money where my convictions are and done very, very well. But even though it frustrates me that others don't "get it" I do understand why people are wary. But I believe that many people who are scorning gold and other commodities today will be buying them a year or two from now when prices are much higher, wishing they had gotten in at lower prices.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:00 AM   #18

prices are NOT going up, the value of the Paper Currency is going down, there has been far too much printed.

The Chinese do not trust paper, read a history of their country, far too often have they been left with worthless paper, that is why they buy Gold, Real Estate, Jade.

Asian Indians prefer Silver, they wear it as Jewellry, if they have to flee from trouble, they take their assets with them.

The signs are clear, Bubble Heads will try to mask them, Inflation is ahead, high rates are coming, Bush is on his way out, Bernanke and the next guy will take the hit.

Asset Allocation, eevn if you are not totally wrong, you still are protected.

Long , Mortgage Rates, Short, Bonds.(less than 5 years).
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...I really do understand the reasons the metals and commodities are going up, and I have an unshakeable faith that they are going higher, .... I have spent six years learning more about economics, monetary history, market cycles etc. until I arrived at my current convictions. And I have put my money where my convictions are and done very, very well. But even though it frustrates me that others don't "get it" I do understand why people are wary. But I believe that many people who are scorning gold and other commodities today will be buying them a year or two from now when prices are much higher, wishing they had gotten in at lower prices.
Focu$ed,

I both admire and fear for anyone with "unshakable faith" and who has "put...money where my convictions are...". No doubt you have done well and you should be congratulated for being in the right place at the right time.

That said, I can't help noting that if you change the two phrases I highlighted in bold in your quote above to "tech stocks", you will have rolled back the clock to 1999. But since you are convinced it's different this time, I wish you only the best in your pursuit of wealth in the commodities and metals markets.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I do understand why people are wary. But I believe that many people who are scorning gold and other commodities today will be buying them a year or two from now when prices are much higher, wishing they had gotten in at lower prices.
I'm glad to see that everyone's putting their weapons back in their holsters. *I think you guys are debating two different market forces.

There's a huge difference between being an experienced tech-stock buyer who's quietly making an ER portfolio in the industry, and then being overwhelmed by every schmuck with dollars to throw at a dot-com. *

No one's arguing against gold going up. *Technically the dollar is going down, but the result is the same. *No one is attacking your analysis, Focu$ed, and frankly gold owners should welcome the criticism that keeps gold climbing the wall of worry-- not that they have to care as long as they're keeping an eye on their circle of competence.

What Brewer & others are pointing out is that this nice quiet steady rising investment is about to be overwhelmed by the same craze that the NASDAQ had to contend with a few years ago. *Your sage fundamental analysis is about to be derailed by irrational exhuberance & investor hysteria. *You'll profit mightily, but good luck with deciding when gold & other precious metals are "fairly priced". *"Fair" is a concept that's about to be ditched in favor of "It's really different this time!"

In such an environment, I'm quite happy to step to the side and let 'em rip. *There won't be any regrets at letting this one go by, just as I didn't mind getting off the NASDAQ ride when it went over 4000. *(I watched an ER'd relative short the NASDAQ in 1997-- he margin-called himself right back into full-time employment.) *I've been doing fine with small-cap stocks & international investments that also profit from a declining dollar, but without the degree of crazed lust beginning to be seen in the precious metals sector. *And unlike you guys, I choose not to buff up our portfolio with employment cash flow. *I feel we have plenty of volatility where we are now and there's no need to eke out that last diversified bit of the efficient frontier... *

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote