Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-30-2020, 07:44 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Only three investment firms offer a no-hack guarantee. I'd use one, or more, of them.

ETA: Fidelity, Schwab, and Vanguard.
MRG - Can you tell me more about what no-hack guarantee means please?
pn3069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have both Schwab and Fidelity and are pleased with both. If you plan on using them for managing a trust on your passing, check their fees.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 09:43 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Satisfied Fidelity customer here.
chassis: Do you know off hand what the Fidelity fees are, is it based on % of what's invested, or flat fee based? I guess average is about .85 to 1 % of investments?
Thanks
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:38 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocmmz View Post
chassis: Do you know off hand what the Fidelity fees are, is it based on % of what's invested, or flat fee based? I guess average is about .85 to 1 % of investments?
Thanks
Not sure if I understand your question, but here is an answer:
1) There are no standing account fees that are charged by Fidelity for just having an account.
2) You pay whatever the investment fund fees are when you hold that investment. Fidelity has some "zero fee" index funds, that have no cost to you.
3) If you utilize Fidelity Financial Advisor paid services, it will be whatever that advisory service fee is. That is typically an AUM (Assets Under Mgmt) type fee where you pay some percentage of the total account, as in the 0.85-1.0% fee you listed above.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 10:53 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Been with Fido 15+ years. Pleased as punch.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:27 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

i've been with fido for about 40 years. smartest thing i ever did. started accounts for my kids when they started working. have had very few complaints with them.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 11:30 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnocmmz View Post
Thanks
Well, there are fees and there are fees. Fido and Schwab will be very similar.

#1 Fees are the "expense ratios" of mutual funds. These range from zero in a few cases to very high (2%) in funds that are only sold to suckers. IIRC the average expense ratio for economical international funds runs around 0.5% (aka fifty basis points). I would consider that to be a nearly a ceiling.

#2 Fees are charged by Investment Advisors who actually run your money. These vary all over the map. Most, I think, would like to have assets under management (AUM) of a million $ or more. AUM fees at that level might be as high as 1.5% but that is rape and pillage territory. 1% should be very do-able, with discounts for larger AUM numbers.

#3 Fees are charged by Financial Advisors who provide advice on the whole scope of your financial life including running the money. True FAs don't seem to be much more expensive than mere Investment Advisors. Three years ago I ran a competition for FAs to consult and run $4M for a nonprofit. Bids came in everywhere from 1% from an insurance company that we wouldn't have selected anyway, down to 40bps from Vanguard. We wanted more personal service than VG is set up to offer, and ended up with a small independent FA at IIRC 59bps.

I think both Fido and Schwab offer Investment advice for AUM fees, but more importantly, both act as custodians for literally thousands of Investment and Financial advisors and are more than willing to make referrals.