Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Good Site to Track a "Theoretical" Portfolio
Old 12-01-2020, 06:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good Site to Track a "Theoretical" Portfolio

We've used Vanguard's Personal Advisor Services for a couple of years now. Overall, we've been satisfied, but I've been doing a lot of reading (some books and the Bogleheads site) and I'm at the point where I want to "test" my thinking against our advisor's guidance.

Rather than making any hasty decisions, what I'm thinking I'd do is set up my own "theoretical" portfolio and track it for a couple of months against the my real portfolio overseen by Vanguard.

Is there a site where I can do this?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m sure others will come up with some fancier suggestions, but you can use google sheets to type in symbols and pull in live prices easily. So you can create a portfolio and track it that way. That’s how I track my holdings. As customizable as you want.
Retireby45ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 07:13 PM   #3

Thanks, but I know I would make a mess of that approach.

I spent most of my career in megacorps -- but in the Legal Dept. I can do Powerpoint, but went groveling to my admin for help if I needed to open an Excel doc.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:29 PM   #4

google howthemarketworks!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #5

You could use SigFig to track your Vanguard portfolio then set up a manual portfolio for your "theoretical" one.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:31 PM   #6

I think that https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com will do what you want.
Out-to-Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:21 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Within the Vanguard display of your stocks, at the bottom you can add external accounts.

You can give the external account any name you want, and you can insert any symbol. There is no need to actually let it access a real account.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:08 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
We've used Vanguard's Personal Advisor Services for a couple of years now. Overall, we've been satisfied, but I've been doing a lot of reading (some books and the Bogleheads site) and I'm at the point where I want to "test" my thinking against our advisor's guidance.

Rather than making any hasty decisions, what I'm thinking I'd do is set up my own "theoretical" portfolio and track it for a couple of months against the my real portfolio overseen by Vanguard.

Morningstar.com is where I do this kind of tracking. Sign up for a free account and be on your way. The level of detail you can get in the results is worth the time.

A young friend had an account managed by an FA. I entered exact amounts of the 10 funds he was in, and created an alternate 3-fund portfolio of Vanguard funds in the same allocation. Since 6/2018 the original FA managed design return is 13.13% (without the AUM fee) annualized, while my 3-fund is 12.24%. That is with no rebalancing. The difference between the 2 portfolios in their balances is probably the AUM fee.

Edit; You'll be able to enter your original portfolio and the theoretical portfolio as of the date you started with PAS.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Morningstar.com is where I do this kind of tracking.
+1
mrfeh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:27 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfeh View Post
+1
+2
Old 12-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Morningstar.com is where I do this kind of tracking.
+3
Old 12-02-2020, 11:05 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post

I'm curious what they have you doing with your money, percentages in what funds?
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:53 PM   #13

Thanks everyone. SigFig and Morningstar both look like good options.

@Time2: While I haven't been dissatisfied with Vanguard's PAS, I haven't been delighted with it either. After spending time here and on the Bogleheads site, I feel like I could do just as well on my own and drop their fee.

I am looking on adopting the 3-fund strategy advocated by many on Bogleheads. My theoretical portfolio will be made up of three Vanguard funds (Vanguard Total Stock Market Index fund (VTSAX), Vanguard Total Int'l Stock Index fund (VTIAX), and Vanguard Total Bond Market Index fund (VBTLX)). I will also set aside some cash in a money market fund.

I'll compare the actual portfolio performance against my theoretical portfolio performance over the next couple of months. If I'm satisfied with the results, I'll drop the PAS and implement the 3-fund strategy.