Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Good week in the markets
Old 04-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good week in the markets

Well after a week of doom and gloom threads this was certainly a good week to be in the markets for those of us still accumulating, and those already retired!

You all have a good weekend!

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

Easy come, easy go. Monday they well be down again. Enjoy the rollercoaster ride my friend.
mexmeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexmeme View Post
Easy come, easy go. Monday they well be down again. Enjoy the rollercoaster ride my friend.
I only enjoy the ride going up.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I only enjoy the ride going up.
It's even more fun when there's a giddy ride up just before the weekend! Then we have all weekend to enjoy and to hope (however unrealistically) for even more next week.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #5

What am I smelling optimism in this thread?! You mean the world isnt ending? Bah
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
What am I smelling optimism in this thread?! You mean the world isnt ending?
Nah. Just a market head fake...
Old 04-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #7

Quote:
What am I smelling optimism in this thread?! You mean the world isnt ending? Bah
: watch this space next week.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Overstock sale on aluminum foil?
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Citigroup (C, Fortune 500) reported a steep quarterly loss and took around $13 billion in writedowns, at least half of which were related to subprime-related exposure. Citi also said it will cut about 9,000 jobs. However, the company's quarterly revenue was higher than analysts were expecting, and shares jumped 4.5%.

Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They say "What goes up, must come down". Could the opposite be true, as well?

I guess one alternative to markets heading up (as well as down) now and then, is for the Dow to plunge to 0 and then stay firmly at 0 day after day, week after week, year after year, for the infinite future. Now THAT would make CNBC more boring than it already is!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #11

Well, we have tested the lows a couple of times this year right...looks like the "credit crisis" has been solved and now on to the "energy and food inflation crisis"... Maybe the market is pricing in an oil bubble...I put a large portion of my annual investment allocation to work in the first quarter...
Old 04-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Nah. Just a market head fake...
Way to kill the mood!
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Citigroup (C, Fortune 500) reported a steep quarterly loss and took around $13 billion in writedowns, at least half of which were related to subprime-related exposure. Citi also said it will cut about 9,000 jobs. However, the company's quarterly revenue was higher than analysts were expecting, and shares jumped 4.5%.
They're going to cut jobs, cut costs and raise standards. It's obviously what people with money burning holes in their pockets were wanting to hear. This may be what the doctor ordered, but I would be worried that it's more a case of a morning after prayer: "Oh, God, please let me get through this and I swear I'll never act like an idiot ever again." All too often that sort of religion goes away after the scary times pass.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
All too often that sort of religion goes away after the scary times pass.
Definitely. The good thing is that it takes a while for people to forget. Let's see: early 90s debacle, then 1998/2001 bubble pop, now 2008. Looks like it takes 6 to 10 years for people to forget and start doing dumb things again. I'd say that whoever is still in one piece by the end of the year will be set up for a good run. But make a note to buy a pile of puts starting in 2014 or so...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 08:31 PM   #15

2012 is end, that is when the mayan calendar ends and it's the name of a Rush album
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #16

Quote:
"Oh, God, please let me get through this and I swear I'll never act like an idiot ever again."
Funny, there are still zero dp and interest-only mortgages out there...
Real Estate Blog - Zero-Down Payment Loans

according to this guy.. that's rilly rilly good news!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 03:56 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Definitely. The good thing is that it takes a while for people to forget. Let's see: early 90s debacle, then 1998/2001 bubble pop, now 2008. Looks like it takes 6 to 10 years for people to forget and start doing dumb things again. I'd say that whoever is still in one piece by the end of the year will be set up for a good run. But make a note to buy a pile of puts starting in 2014 or so...
Having been a MegaCorp employee for more than 30 years, I don't know if it's so much they forget as there are new people in charge every 6 to 10 years anxious to do dumb things for their first time. The people who were in charge and would know better, departed in shame after the last debacle --- although their golden parachutes made the shame more than worthwhile.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:53 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Having been a MegaCorp employee for more than 30 years, I don't know if it's so much they forget as there are new people in charge every 6 to 10 years anxious to do dumb things for their first time. The people who were in charge and would know better, departed in shame after the last debacle --- although their golden parachutes made the shame more than worthwhile.

I think the 7 year itch applies to investment as much as mortgages.

Personally, I was rooting for a stock sale back in Dec and Jan. By Feb I was getting a bit tired of having buyer regret. So it was nice to see they take the 20% sale signs down this week
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
They're going to cut jobs, cut costs and raise standards. It's obviously what people with money burning holes in their pockets were wanting to hear. This may be what the doctor ordered, but I would be worried that it's more a case of a morning after prayer: "Oh, God, please let me get through this and I swear I'll never act like an idiot ever again." All too often that sort of religion goes away after the scary times pass.
You are probably right. It's just that I didn't see any good news that would boost the stock almost 5% in one day. Now maybe if it read like this:

Citigroup (C, Fortune 500) reported a steep quarterly gain and took in around $13 billion in new business, at least half of which were related to solid accounts. Citi also said it will add about 9,000 jobs. However, the company's quarterly revenue was even higher than analysts were expecting, and shares jumped 4.5%.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
2012 is end.....it's the name of a Rush album
Actually it's Rush 2112, so maybe we have an extra 100 years, LOL
Dude is offline   Reply With Quote