Join Early Retirement Today

Google launches Google Finance
Old 03-21-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Google launches Google Finance

Google launched a competing portal to MSN/Yahoo finance in the past day or so. I believe its still in Beta, but the usual google cool-ness is in there. They brought their Google Maps technology to stock charting, so you can drag the chart and it also labels when news hit on the chart so you can see the impact that the news had on the stock price. I'm sure there are more features, but those are all I've played with so far.

Just wanted to pass along to anyone interested:

http://finance.google.com/
Olav23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Google launches Google Finance
Old 03-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Everything at google stays in beta forever. That way they can pull the product if they wish with limited ramifications and major problems cant come back to haunt them... "HEY...we said this was a BETA service!"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have kinda been mad at Yahoo Finance since they pulled their Money Manager product. I'll poke around at the Google finance site. Thanks for the link.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:45 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Ugh... A spam sandwich... I hate that...
Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yahoo still rules

they have real charts with real technical analysis, not the kiddie charts that google has
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

It's bad enough that Google can track my searches and target marketing to me. I certainly don't want them tracking any of my finances.
Big Google Brother is watching you.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 02:23 PM   #7

Looks like Morningstar data, and looking at wmcvx it looks like the fund charts are strictly NAV, not total return. Nothing much new that I saw.

Dan
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
Yahoo still rules

they have real charts with real technical analysis, not the kiddie charts that google has
If and when I want to check to see what's happening in the markets, I use Yahoo, also.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 07:01 AM   #9

the google summary looks pretty good with the basic chart and the financials on the same page and the ratios like ROE is pretty nice, but Yahoo still rules overall.

maybe if MS buys them out they will keep the nice core and change the UI just enough to make it really good.

Google is king of taking other people's content and displaying it on their website.it worked the last few years since everyone was making money, but now people may start blocking Google from displaying their information or suing them. always happens when the economy slows down. people start counting every penny
Old 02-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by A854321 View Post
It's bad enough that Google can track my searches and target marketing to me. I certainly don't want them tracking any of my finances.
Big Google Brother is watching you.
So, you don't use ANY software to track your investments? I hate to mention it, but even if you don't, your brokerage is tracking you.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:23 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
If and when I want to check to see what's happening in the markets, I use Yahoo, also.
Did y'all notice that the Google charts also use the same mechanism as their mapping software does. You can left-click (and hold), but drag it left/right to instantly see more data.
And Google's charts come up right away where you can mouse-over any of the days to get the specific information for it (like you can do after you click on the Yahoo chart itself ... after choosing the stock). This saves you one step, but hey I'm lazy.

In any case, to each his own.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:42 PM   #12

i haven't traded for a while, but Yahoo used to have the order books on it's free site so you can see the open bid and asks. no more

going to have to find who else has it since i have a new pot of money i can play with that i don't have to be responsible for