Got CSR? Pony Up Another Benjamin!

Thank you. I did a compare as well, and after considering all the costs and only those benefits that affect us, concluded that the Sapphire Reserve was a better deal. It may the same for some and not for others. As W2R pointed out, it is travel focused. As geeky_grrl showed, the $300 annual travel credit is part of the calculation.

Yep, everyone will have a different purpose for the card. Those who were on the fence with benefits and card at $450 may be tipped over to other options. Just wanted to mentioned the CSP as it may be a good deal for those who travel less frequently.

And food for thought, maybe a combination of CSP (for travel rewards and redemption) along with another credit card for travel credits and lounge access? As cost goes up, just worth taking a step back and looking at options. Safe travels!

Using what you shared, it seems you are paying more to keep the CSR than the value you are getting.

As you mentioned, with CSR you would have point value of $765 in travel ($17K spend * 3 pnts * 1.5 redemption bonus). The annual fee cost is now $550 + $75 for additional authorized user. So card nets you $140 with 1 additional authorized user, or $215 with only single user.

By contrast, with CSP you would have a point value of $425 in travel ($17K spend * 2 pnts *1.25 redemption bonus. The annual fee cost is $95, no charge for additional authorized user. So the card nets you $330.

So just looking at charge and use for travel redemption CSP would have a larger benefit, $190/yr (figuring 2 authorized user) vs CSR. Not sure what other benefits you use, so perhaps those justify the $190 "cost" for keeping the CSR. Happy travels.

I think what you did not account for is the $300 travel credit from CSR. So, the annual fee is effectively $250 in the future for me. I just renewed in December with $450 still. I do not know if CSP has travel credit or not.

I think what you did not account for is the $300 travel credit from CSR. So, the annual fee is effectively $250 in the future for me. I just renewed in December with $450 still. I do not know if CSP has travel credit or not.

As I mentioned in the last line of my response:

Not sure what other benefits you use, so perhaps those justify the $190 "cost" for keeping the CSR. Happy travels.

So if you are using the travel credits, you then come out ahead of the game and offset that difference by about a Benjamin.

So if you are using the travel credits, you then come out ahead of the game and offset that difference by about a Benjamin.

The $300 travel credit should always be used. If you’re not using the travel credit, then you should definitely get a different card. This drops the annual fee to $250, $155 more than the CSF. That $155 is easy to get back with higher accrual and redemption rates, plus other benefits.

Keep in mind that getting the travel credit doesn’t require travel specific purchases. For example, you’ll get reimbursed for parking and transportation costs. It’s not that hard to use the travel credit within a year.

I’ll keep the CSR for another year. It also looks like I’ll start using Lyft instead of Uber. It’s a bummer that Lyft isn’t international, since that’s where I mostly use ride sharing.

Also, why have an authorized user? You only need one card in order to get most of the benefits. The only case I can think of is for lounge access and as a couple, both of you travel a lot individually. Maybe there are other reasons?

Back
Top Bottom