Join Early Retirement Today

Got my first senior citizen discount
Old 05-01-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Got my first senior citizen discount

I go with the bride to the supermarket, pick up some cake and pie thats on sale. the cashier tells the bride $7.98, my bride says"my father is paying", i hand the girl 10 bucks, she gives me my change. i look at the receipt because i think im supposed to get 2.02 back. at the bottom of the receipt is says senior citizen discount - 5%. IN bold letters it says savings $. 39 cents., we had a huge laugh over her referring to me as her father, made my day. i told the bride we always going to shop here on mondays, she said no we arent we shop we we want something, im not waiting for monday to save 37 cents, i corrected her that it was 39 . then i gave her a big smooch and i carried home the bag. now i wonder how much and when senior citizen discount day at the movies are.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:57 PM   #2

Love it.

I just found out I'll save a smidge on our planned Catalina Island trip later this summer. The ferry has a discount for 55+. Yay!
Old 05-01-2017, 08:30 PM   #3
gone traveling

I can't stand SR discounts. It's the young who need $ more than SRs & these discounts in effect take from them. I shun AARP.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Got 15% off the breakfast bill at Denny's this morning. Gotta love that AARP card!
Old 05-01-2017, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Love it.

I just found out I'll save a smidge on our planned Catalina Island trip later this summer. The ferry has a discount for 55+. Yay!

I just got my first major senior discount today! DH & I are in St. Thomas (USVI). We decided after 4 weeks in the USVI & BVI, we needed to join a local gym. Researched the options and learned that University of the Virgin Islands has a pretty nice facility that anyone over 55 can join for only $25/month with no initial fees. The other health clubs were at least $75/month. Signed up today and had a great workout! Maybe we won't have to give up Painkillers while we're here. [emoji484]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I can't stand SR discounts. It's the young who need $ more than SRs & these discounts in effect take from them. I shun AARP.
You threw a wet towel on my somewhat happy event. I appreciate your input. It was enlightening to see another point of view. I took .39 cents from a starving child.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:34 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I take a class at the community center. I can save $20 on the class fee once I turn 55. Looking forward to it
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:55 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
I never got any as a young starving man child, so gosh darn it, I'm getting it now.

All those young folks will get it as well when they get older, so they are not missing anything.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:48 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Mr. A. occasionally calls me his "bride," because he knows I hate it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:53 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
-1 You're making me rethink taking SS and Medicare now!

But my first senior discount was a Deer Valley Ski Resort. Saved $20 on a lift ticket. At $120 a day no one there (young or old) needs the money.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:14 AM   #11

A really nice way of saying "Thank you for contributing to society for so long."

When I hit 70, I discovered that I could get a season pass at a ski resort for the cost of just a few days regular lift tickets, and there are some places that let you ski free at that age. Not surprisingly, I see plenty of people my age on the slopes.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:43 AM   #12
gone traveling

Quote:
That might make sense if we were talking about a zero-sum game. We're not.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 05:52 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
That might make sense if we were talking about a zero-sum game. We're not.
Right.

And maybe we can get back on track on what should be a fun thread discussion (?)

I'll take my senior discount! I get .30 off at Dunks on a cuppa!!
Old 05-02-2017, 05:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Mr. A. occasionally calls me his "bride," because he knows I hate it.
+1 I cringe every time I hear it.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:05 AM   #15
gone traveling

I enjoy my discounted movie tickets.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:23 AM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

I always ask the for the discount at golf courses. Some out of state courses (like some in Indiana/Michigan) give discounts at 55.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Just decline to take the discount - I doubt they'll force you to take it. To each their own
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
I always ask the for the discount at golf courses. Some out of state courses (like some in Indiana/Michigan) give discounts at 55.
It varies around here...some courses offer it at 50, some at 55, and some at 60. My first ever senior discount was at age 51 on a golf course.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:51 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I can't argue with that. But, if we turn down the discounts, that still does nothing for a younger person.

May I suggest the next time it happens take the discount and give the money to some parent so he/she can buy their kid an ice cream cone. Or put it towards a donation to a college scholarship program, etc. etc. etc.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:59 AM   #20

If you don't like senior discount, don't ask for it. Simple.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote