Got stimulus debit card, how do I get paper check?

Bongleur

Full time employment: Posting here.
Stupid government. Who wants to be forced to open a bank account with some no-name bank, that charges $2 per atm withdrawal, and won't let you take out the whole $1200 at once?

How do I get the government to issue a paper check instead?
what a PIA.

Maybe if you write to your Senators or Representative?

Alternatively, you can use the website eipcard.com to transfer the funds to your existing bank account at no charge.

I heard from someone who received them that they were able to take to their bank and they depositors the cash into their account. Wasn’t a big deal and no fees.

I heard from someone who received them that they were able to take to their bank and they depositors the cash into their account. Wasn’t a big deal and no fees.

^ This.

I was at the bank the other day and the guy at the window next to me brought his card in and asked the teller to put the money in his account. The only hitch was that she needed to know the exact amount that was on the card and the guy had to go back home to make sure of the amount and go back.

It didn't seem like there was any issue on the bank's end to pull the money off and deposit it for him.

Write your congress person right now!

Open an account on their website. You can then do ACH transfers to your checking account of up to 1000 per transaction with no fee. So you can do one for a thousand and one for 200. Two days later it hits your account and you cut up the debit card. No fees at all.

Maybe if you write to your Senators or Representative?

Alternatively, you can use the website eipcard.com to transfer the funds to your existing bank account at no charge.

Did that right away, but I'd like action before I die:LOL:

Can't find any such transfer info on that site.

Not a bank account. All you have to do is register for online access.

The printed verbiage on the paper to which the card is attached is definitely about opening a financial account.

The printed verbiage on the paper to which the card is attached is definitely about opening a financial account.

Don't know what to tell you. If you can't get past that hairball then go pay atm fees to get cash. Life is all about choices.

Did that right away, but I'd like action before I die:LOL:

Can't find any such transfer info on that site.

From their FAQs page:

Can I transfer the funds from my EIP Card to my bank account?

Yes, you can easily transfer the funds from your EIP Card to an existing bank account online at EIPCard.com or using the Money Network Mobile App. You will need the Routing and Account number for your bank account.

To transfer funds:
1. Call 1.800.240.8100 (TTY: 1.800.241.9100) to activate your Card.
2. Register for online or mobile app access by going to EIPCard.com or the Money Network Mobile App and click on “Register”. Follow the steps to create your User ID and Password. Be sure to have your EIP Card handy.
3. Select Move Money Out and follow the steps to set up your ACH transfer. Transfers should post to your bank account in 1-2 business days.

ACH Transfer to Domestic Bank Limits Apply: $2,500 per transaction | $2,500 per day | $5,000 per month. Please see your Cardholder Agreement online at EIPCard.com for more information.

This says the limit per transaction is $2500, but I did see the $1000 number on a Bogleheads thread. I don't know if they have changed it, or maybe the Bogleheads guys were wrong.

If you're not willing to activate the card and create a username and password on their site, then maybe going into your own bank and asking them for help would be a better option for you.

From their FAQs page:

This says the limit per transaction is $2500, but I did see the $1000 number on a Bogleheads thread. I don't know if they have changed it, or maybe the Bogleheads guys were wrong.

If you're not willing to activate the card and create a username and password on their site, then maybe going into your own bank and asking them for help would be a better option for you.

I activated the card and did an ACH transfer for the full amount (little over $2000) Friday night. It posted into my account this morning. No fees.

Life is all about choices.

I choose to make a fuss when the Government tries to force me into an unwanted financial relationship in order to claim an Entitlement.

Next thing, I'll find myself paying a Poll Tax and taking a literacy test.

I choose to make a fuss when the Government tries to force me into an unwanted financial relationship in order to claim an Entitlement.

Next thing, I'll find myself paying a Poll Tax and taking a literacy test.

I heard a rumor that the next stimulus distribution will be executed by adding money to these debit cards.

Curious if all the debit card receivers file paper returns or what?
We e-file each year and received our stimulus payment via direct deposit very early on.

We e-file each year and received our stimulus payment via direct deposit very early on.

We e-filed last year but had to pay, so the IRS didn't have an account to deposit the money. My son received a refund last year and the IRS deposited his stimulus funds to the account they deposited the refund. So I think it has more to do with having an account in the system that the IRS can use to deposit stimulus funds to available.

Be happy you got a stimulus payment. All we got is a big tax bill that will be withdrawn from our account July 15, 2020.

Be happy you got a stimulus payment. All we got is a big tax bill that will be withdrawn from our account July 15, 2020.

I am happy. My understanding is that if you are lazy and didn't file your 2019 tax return then the IRS used your 2018 return to determine your stimulus payment. If the your 2018 return gives you more than you deserve (based on your 2019 return) you don't have to refund the money. So, lazy procrastination is a good thing (in this case).

The IRS says the debit cards went to taxpayers who had their returns processed in Andover, MA or Austin, TX and for whom they do not have direct deposit info. They don't list Andover as a mailing address for 1040s, so I'm guessing that returns processed there are all e-filings. Austin does take paper returns from Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Texas.

There was no problem for us to do an ACH transfer to our regular checking account.

If Bongleur wants to mail me the card they got and some of their personal identification credentials, then I would be happy to ACH transfer the money into my checking account.

Basically, stop ranting and get your money now. You are wasting time complaining for no really good reason. Besides, to get a paper check from the Federal government requires you to give them more information that you apparently are holding close to your chest.

I guess thought that since my comment is 5 days after the OP's first post, all the money must already be in their checking account by now.

Last edited:
I am happy. My understanding is that if you are lazy and didn't file your 2019 tax return then the IRS used your 2018 return to determine your stimulus payment. If the your 2018 return gives you more than you deserve (based on your 2019 return) you don't have to refund the money. So, lazy procrastination is a good thing (in this case).
Close. The checks were an advance payment of a credit to be applied to your 2020 income taxes. So it is your 2020 AGI that ultimately will determine the size of the credit to which you'll be entitled. However, if based on either 2018 or 2019 AGI you got a check, but you would be entitled to less based on 2020 AGI, you won't have to pay the excess back.

Close. The checks were an advance payment of a credit to be applied to your 2020 income taxes. So it is your 2020 AGI that ultimately will determine the size of the credit to which you'll be entitled. However, if based on either 2018 or 2019 AGI you got a check, but you would be entitled to less based on 2020 AGI, you won't have to pay the excess back.

So, if someone is subject to RMDs and received less than $1200 because of ‘19 income levels, and opts to not take a distribution this year, with the resulting lower AGI they will still get some more stimulus money?

Back
Top Bottom