Join Early Retirement Today

Got stimulus debit card, how do I get paper check?
Old 06-01-2020, 05:16 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Got stimulus debit card, how do I get paper check?

Stupid government. Who wants to be forced to open a bank account with some no-name bank, that charges $2 per atm withdrawal, and won't let you take out the whole $1200 at once?

How do I get the government to issue a paper check instead?
what a PIA.

Bongleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2020, 06:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe if you write to your Senators or Representative?

Alternatively, you can use the website eipcard.com to transfer the funds to your existing bank account at no charge.

cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I heard from someone who received them that they were able to take to their bank and they depositors the cash into their account. Wasn’t a big deal and no fees.
Retireby45ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:43 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retireby45ish View Post
I heard from someone who received them that they were able to take to their bank and they depositors the cash into their account. Wasn’t a big deal and no fees.

^ This.

I was at the bank the other day and the guy at the window next to me brought his card in and asked the teller to put the money in his account. The only hitch was that she needed to know the exact amount that was on the card and the guy had to go back home to make sure of the amount and go back.

It didn't seem like there was any issue on the bank's end to pull the money off and deposit it for him.
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:00 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Write your congress person right now!
Old 06-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #6

I wish I got $1200 to complain about.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Open an account on their website. You can then do ACH transfers to your checking account of up to 1000 per transaction with no fee. So you can do one for a thousand and one for 200. Two days later it hits your account and you cut up the debit card. No fees at all.
"See their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other.
See, I'm not a monster... I'm just ahead of the curve."

- The Joker
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:45 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Open an account
That's a hard no.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongleur View Post
That's a hard no.
Not a bank account. All you have to do is register for online access.
"See their morals, their code, it's a bad joke. Dropped at the first sign of trouble. They're only as good as the world allows them to be. I'll show you. When the chips are down, these civilized people, they'll eat each other.

- The Joker
Old 06-01-2020, 11:38 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Maybe if you write to your Senators or Representative?

Alternatively, you can use the website eipcard.com to transfer the funds to your existing bank account at no charge.
Did that right away, but I'd like action before I die

Can't find any such transfer info on that site.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:42 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Not a bank account. All you have to do is register for online access.
The printed verbiage on the paper to which the card is attached is definitely about opening a financial account.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:49 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The printed verbiage on the paper to which the card is attached is definitely about opening a financial account.
Don't know what to tell you. If you can't get past that hairball then go pay atm fees to get cash. Life is all about choices.

- The Joker
Old 06-02-2020, 09:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Did that right away, but I'd like action before I die

Can't find any such transfer info on that site.
From their FAQs page:

Quote:
Can I transfer the funds from my EIP Card to my bank account?

Yes, you can easily transfer the funds from your EIP Card to an existing bank account online at EIPCard.com or using the Money Network Mobile App. You will need the Routing and Account number for your bank account.

To transfer funds:
1. Call 1.800.240.8100 (TTY: 1.800.241.9100) to activate your Card.
2. Register for online or mobile app access by going to EIPCard.com or the Money Network Mobile App and click on “Register”. Follow the steps to create your User ID and Password. Be sure to have your EIP Card handy.
3. Select Move Money Out and follow the steps to set up your ACH transfer. Transfers should post to your bank account in 1-2 business days.

ACH Transfer to Domestic Bank Limits Apply: $2,500 per transaction | $2,500 per day | $5,000 per month. Please see your Cardholder Agreement online at EIPCard.com for more information.
This says the limit per transaction is $2500, but I did see the $1000 number on a Bogleheads thread. I don't know if they have changed it, or maybe the Bogleheads guys were wrong.

If you're not willing to activate the card and create a username and password on their site, then maybe going into your own bank and asking them for help would be a better option for you.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
From their FAQs page:

This says the limit per transaction is $2500, but I did see the $1000 number on a Bogleheads thread. I don't know if they have changed it, or maybe the Bogleheads guys were wrong.

If you're not willing to activate the card and create a username and password on their site, then maybe going into your own bank and asking them for help would be a better option for you.

I activated the card and did an ACH transfer for the full amount (little over $2000) Friday night. It posted into my account this morning. No fees.
INTJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 07:28 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Life is all about choices.
I choose to make a fuss when the Government tries to force me into an unwanted financial relationship in order to claim an Entitlement.

Next thing, I'll find myself paying a Poll Tax and taking a literacy test.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I choose to make a fuss when the Government tries to force me into an unwanted financial relationship in order to claim an Entitlement.

Next thing, I'll find myself paying a Poll Tax and taking a literacy test.

I heard a rumor that the next stimulus distribution will be executed by adding money to these debit cards.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:23 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

Curious if all the debit card receivers file paper returns or what?
We e-file each year and received our stimulus payment via direct deposit very early on.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miarocks View Post
Curious if all the debit card receivers file paper returns or what?
We e-file each year and received our stimulus payment via direct deposit very early on.
We e-filed last year but had to pay, so the IRS didn't have an account to deposit the money. My son received a refund last year and the IRS deposited his stimulus funds to the account they deposited the refund. So I think it has more to do with having an account in the system that the IRS can use to deposit stimulus funds to available.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #19

Be happy you got a stimulus payment. All we got is a big tax bill that will be withdrawn from our account July 15, 2020.
Freedom56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:02 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom56 View Post
Be happy you got a stimulus payment. All we got is a big tax bill that will be withdrawn from our account July 15, 2020.
I am happy. My understanding is that if you are lazy and didn't file your 2019 tax return then the IRS used your 2018 return to determine your stimulus payment. If the your 2018 return gives you more than you deserve (based on your 2019 return) you don't have to refund the money. So, lazy procrastination is a good thing (in this case).