Government's New Plan for Retirees Includes Pink Slime, Horse Meat, & Horse Hockey

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
Government's New Plan for Retirees Includes Pink Slime, Horse Meat, & Horse Hockey

I'm looking for the recipe for a Pink Slime cocktail. I'm guessing it will have vodka or gin as the main ingredient.

Does Alpo include pink slime?

First, there is no question that older Americans on fixed income are having a hard time finding the money to buy steak or live, as they say, “high on the hog”, where you find the better cuts of meat. Now it turns out that the US Department of Agriculture has approved a ‘pink slime’ additive to ground beef. Pink slime which is a major ingredient of dog food is not beef but a salvage product rendered from fat waste trimmings and intestines still full of you know what. This rendered slime is treated with ammonia to kill the bacteria one finds in fecal matter, and 70 percent of ground beef at supermarkets contain it. It’s the new hamburger helper direct from the US Department of Agriculture. We checked some cookbooks including those of Julia Child, Emeril Lagasse, Martha Stewart, Lydia, Rachael Ray, etc., and have yet to find one recipe calling for “pouring in a cup of ammonia while adding two cups of pink slime”……..

The Government's New Plan for Retirees Includes Pink Slime, Horse Meat, and Horse Hockey Investments

Pink slime is truly disgusting. Are you kidding me when saying it is already in supermarket ground beef now?

But on the subject of horse meat, though I have not had it, I do not see why it is a big deal. One can eat cows, bulls, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, buffaloes, deer, elk, reindeer, etc..., but not horses?

So, instead of sending old horses to glue factories, they keep some better parts for the dinner table. Is it any worse than killing other farm and wild animals? Unless one is a strict vegetarian, I don't see how one can make a big deal out of this. Pet animals like dogs and cats are of course different.

So, instead of sending old horses to glue factories, they keep some better parts for the dinner table. Is it any worse than killing other farm and wild animals? Unless one is a strict vegetarian, I don't see how one can make a big deal out of this. Pet animals like dogs and cats are of course different.
Are you not aware that many folks have pet horses?

Well, I am sure some people have other listed animals as pets too. I thought they all look cute.

In addition, there are studies time and time again telling us that pigs on the average are more intelligent than dogs and cats! That does not keep people from wanting their bacon. :nonono:

A quick look on the Web found the claim that pigs rank #4 in animal intelligence behind chimpanzees, dolphins, and elephants.

Last edited:
Eh, how about steak tartare? ;)

About another poster talking about "beating up a dead horse" to tenderize it in another thread, I have read somewhere that it is exactly what people do: pounding a steak tartare as preparation. :cool:

By the way, for the record, I do not eat raw meat, not even sushi!

Not to worry. Pink slime is also in food served to school kids. Equal treatment. No age discrimination here.

Wonder if we have been conditioned to like it since an early age.

Hey, everything is an acquired taste, no?

I wasn't born already liking to drink beer or any alcoholic beverage.

fat waste trimmings and intestines

What's not to like?

audrey cooks: Braised Pork Belly and Baby Pig Intestines : Foods Recipe, Cooking, Malaysian.

Chitterlings, Chitlins, Chitterlings History, Chitterlings Recipe, Chitlins Recipe

Let us consider what chitlins are - they are hog intestines or guts. Some people turn up their noses at the mention of chitlins; other leave the house while they are cooking, driven away by their odor. However, the volume sold for New Year's dinners, with Christmas and Thanksgiving not far behind, attests to chitlins popularity in the United States.

Animal innards have long been treasured foods around the world. Scotland's national dish is haggis (sheep's stomach stuffed with the animal's minced heart, liver, and lungs). Throughout Europe, tripe (cow or ox stomach) is popular, and French chefs in upscale restaurants serve dishes based on cow's brains and kidneys.

And many sausage casings are made from intestine, the 'natural' casing.

-ERD50

It's always good to check Snopes snopes.com: Mechanically Separated Chicken

Looks like the intestines (with contents) part is a myth. There's a difference between MSB (prohibited since 2004) and BLBT (allowed, even without labeling).

I've always assumed that sausage and hot dogs are made out of parts that I wouldn't eat individually, and I eat sausage frequently. But, I'm disappointed that we don't require better labeling for ground beef.

It's always good to check Snopes snopes.com: Mechanically Separated Chicken

Looks like the intestines (with contents) part is a myth. There's a difference between MSB (prohibited since 2004) and BLBT (allowed, even without labeling).

I've always assumed that sausage and hot dogs are made out of parts that I wouldn't eat individually, and I eat sausage frequently. But, I'm disappointed that we don't require better labeling for ground beef.

Actually, I had just pulled a book off my shelf and re-read a few parts of it ' The Big Book of Big Secrets', and there is a chapter on 'mystery meats'. Hot dogs are pretty tame. While they can contain 'meat by-products' (lips, tongues, stomach, heart), they have to be called 'wieners with variety meats' (or equivalent) and those parts must be listed in the ingredients. So most hot dog brands choose to avoid having to put 'pig snouts' on the label, figuring that would turn off a lot of people, and hurt sales. Two-three % salt though, and LOTS of fat.

Any meat-type product with the word 'loaf' in the description and w/o the word 'meat' can contain a lot of filler (olive loaf, picnic loaf, pimento loaf). SPAM is what we would call 'real meat', but with lots of fat and some sugar. 'Potted meat food product' and Chorizo Sausage (which I love!), well, you might not want to know.

-ERD50

And many sausage casings are made from intestine, the 'natural' casing.

-ERD50

Haggis is delicious, as is sausage, . . .

People don't want to be reminded what they're eating. They want to enjoy a steak and not have to think about the bloody animal carcass it came from or the mold that they pay extra for in the really good "dry aged" cuts.

The process of dry-aging usually also promotes growth of certain fungal (mold) species on the external surface of the meat. This doesn't cause spoilage, but actually forms an external "crust" on the meat's surface, which is trimmed off when the meat is prepared for cooking. These fungal species complement the natural enzymes in the beef by helping to tenderize and increase the flavor of the meat. The genus Thamnidia, in particular, is known to produce collagenolytic enzymes which greatly contribute to the tenderness and flavor of dry-aged meat.

I have only two questions for food 1) will it harm me 2) is it tasty

As long as the answer to the first question is "No" then the second one is all that really matters.

Last edited:
I asked an employee in the meat department of Costco in Oregon the other day about 'beef slime'. He told me that all of the meat for the store comes from their own processing facility and that they do not use 'beef slime' (which he said grossed him out) in their hamburger whether it be fresh or frozen in patties.

The slime has been in fast food burgers for a while. I think they use up to 30% slime (dollar menu anyone). Some enterprising guy came up with the ammonia treatment to raise the PH above what e coli and other bugs could survive. They then put this stuff in a centrifuge to remove the fat. The trimmings used to make this stuff include floor scraps in the processing plant that was once only used for dog food. Bon appetit!

Come to think of it, when we talk about fecal matters, anyone here thinks of that when he eats raw oysters? As far as I know, nobody gives these oyters an enema before consuming them. Nope, I do not do raw oysters, though I do eat shellfish.

I do eat shrimps that have not been deveined, but these are at least cooked. Yep, YMMV.

Oooo! I just ate some raw oysters! Yum! Yep - if you're eating the whole critter, you're eating everything.

DH and I are super picky about ground beef ever since the mad cow scare. We don't eat it in restaurants or buy it unless it is from a special grass-fed herd or some such. So I don't think we have to worry about pink slime - gross!

What does pink slime have to do with retirees? Looks like anyone eating fast food burgers is exposed to it.

Audrey

I asked an employee in the meat department of Costco in Oregon the other day about 'beef slime'. He told me that all of the meat for the store comes from their own processing facility and that they do not use 'beef slime' (which he said grossed him out) in their hamburger whether it be fresh or frozen in patties.
And you thought he would say something different? :)
I also talked to a butcher (well, a guy in the meat department) of my local store. He showed my how to tell the ground beef that comes from the "central plant" and the stuff they make right there. The stuff in the "tubes" comes from somewhere else entirely. In the case of Kroger, the styrofoam tray stuff with a colored label comes from the "central plant" and the packages with a black-and-white label are ground up right in the store's meat department. I didn't ask about the slime.

Well....I needed to cut back on my hamburger consumption. This report should do the trick. Anyone have a recommendation on a good veggie burger brand?:(

I had horse in Paris years ago although I didn't know it until after the meal. Now I just view this news as another reason to minimize red meat consumption. However, I'll start tomorrow as I'm ready to put a couple of T-bones on the grill.

Oooo! I just ate some raw oysters! Yum! Yep - if you're eating the whole critter, you're eating everything.

...So I don't think we have to worry about pink slime - gross!

Eh, the entire oyster is gray slime! ;)

Anyway, I was just joking in trying to point out that what we want to eat and what we consider gross is very subjective.

I do not eat raw oysters because I do not think I would like it, not because I think it would be harmful or gross. I do not eat a cold slice of pizza, or cold fried chicken for the same reason. So, I was making the point that a simple mention of "fecal matter" makes people cringe, but yet, they would willingly consume it on occasions.

My daughter and my son do not eat shrimp. More than that, my son cannot stand the smell of shrimp, and cannot be present at the table when my wife and I eat shrimp. It would gag him, as we would do if we saw someone swallowed coach roaches, or earthworms, or something like that.

We fed our children the same thing we ate when they were growing up. How they changed in their early teens was beyond me.

Last edited:
And you thought he would say something different? :)
I also talked to a butcher (well, a guy in the meat department) of my local store. He showed my how to tell the ground beef that comes from the "central plant" and the stuff they make right there. The stuff in the "tubes" comes from somewhere else entirely. In the case of Kroger, the styrofoam tray stuff with a colored label comes from the "central plant" and the packages with a black-and-white label are ground up right in the store's meat department. I didn't ask about the slime.

Costco owns their meat processing plant.

"ABC News asked around and reported that Costco, Whole Foods, and Kroger do not carry meat that includes "pink slime," though this report says some of Kroger's meat does. Costco's vice president of quality assurance was quite explicit about rejecting the product, telling ABC that "Anything that we sell at Costco we want to explain its origins, and I personally don't know how to explain trim treated with ammonia in our ground beef." "

It looks like we can't count on Fred Meyer ground beef being 'pink slime' free unless it is labeled organic.

No slime for me!

img_1174641_0_456180447971baf69d59039a1d70b717.jpg

I tried a veggie burger today(Boca brand) and was surprised with the good taste. Tasted like a flame broiled burger, maybe a tad on the dry side. But not bad. I added a little Worcestershire sauce and garlic pepper as I cooked it, a slice of cheese and condiments to a garlic toasted bun and I was good to go. Oh yes, baked some sweet potato fries and had a pretty tasty lunch. I tried a veggie burger many years ago, but just couldn't go them. Either my taste buds have changed or they have improved.

I'm sure I will have a good old fashion artery clogging burger every not and then. But this is not a bad substitute.

Back
Top Bottom