Join Early Retirement Today

Government's New Plan for Retirees Includes Pink Slime, Horse Meat, & Horse Hockey
Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Government's New Plan for Retirees Includes Pink Slime, Horse Meat, & Horse Hockey

I'm looking for the recipe for a Pink Slime cocktail. I'm guessing it will have vodka or gin as the main ingredient.

Does Alpo include pink slime?

Quote:
First, there is no question that older Americans on fixed income are having a hard time finding the money to buy steak or live, as they say, “high on the hog”, where you find the better cuts of meat. Now it turns out that the US Department of Agriculture has approved a ‘pink slime’ additive to ground beef. Pink slime which is a major ingredient of dog food is not beef but a salvage product rendered from fat waste trimmings and intestines still full of you know what. This rendered slime is treated with ammonia to kill the bacteria one finds in fecal matter, and 70 percent of ground beef at supermarkets contain it. It’s the new hamburger helper direct from the US Department of Agriculture. We checked some cookbooks including those of Julia Child, Emeril Lagasse, Martha Stewart, Lydia, Rachael Ray, etc., and have yet to find one recipe calling for “pouring in a cup of ammonia while adding two cups of pink slime”……..

The Government's New Plan for Retirees Includes Pink Slime, Horse Meat, and Horse Hockey Investments

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

And I was about to have dinner...
Old 03-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Pink slime is truly disgusting. Are you kidding me when saying it is already in supermarket ground beef now?

But on the subject of horse meat, though I have not had it, I do not see why it is a big deal. One can eat cows, bulls, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, buffaloes, deer, elk, reindeer, etc..., but not horses?

So, instead of sending old horses to glue factories, they keep some better parts for the dinner table. Is it any worse than killing other farm and wild animals? Unless one is a strict vegetarian, I don't see how one can make a big deal out of this. Pet animals like dogs and cats are of course different.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
So, instead of sending old horses to glue factories, they keep some better parts for the dinner table. Is it any worse than killing other farm and wild animals? Unless one is a strict vegetarian, I don't see how one can make a big deal out of this. Pet animals like dogs and cats are of course different.
Are you not aware that many folks have pet horses?
Old 03-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Well, I am sure some people have other listed animals as pets too. I thought they all look cute.

In addition, there are studies time and time again telling us that pigs on the average are more intelligent than dogs and cats! That does not keep people from wanting their bacon.

A quick look on the Web found the claim that pigs rank #4 in animal intelligence behind chimpanzees, dolphins, and elephants.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 03-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, I am sure some people have other listed animals as pets too. I thought they all look cute.
Fried, broiled, or sauteed?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Eh, how about steak tartare?

About another poster talking about "beating up a dead horse" to tenderize it in another thread, I have read somewhere that it is exactly what people do: pounding a steak tartare as preparation.

By the way, for the record, I do not eat raw meat, not even sushi!

Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Not to worry. Pink slime is also in food served to school kids. Equal treatment. No age discrimination here.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Wonder if we have been conditioned to like it since an early age.

Hey, everything is an acquired taste, no?

I wasn't born already liking to drink beer or any alcoholic beverage.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
fat waste trimmings and intestines
What's not to like?

audrey cooks: Braised Pork Belly and Baby Pig Intestines : Foods Recipe, Cooking, Malaysian.

Chitterlings, Chitlins, Chitterlings History, Chitterlings Recipe, Chitlins Recipe

Quote:
Let us consider what chitlins are - they are hog intestines or guts. Some people turn up their noses at the mention of chitlins; other leave the house while they are cooking, driven away by their odor. However, the volume sold for New Year's dinners, with Christmas and Thanksgiving not far behind, attests to chitlins popularity in the United States.

Animal innards have long been treasured foods around the world. Scotland's national dish is haggis (sheep's stomach stuffed with the animal's minced heart, liver, and lungs). Throughout Europe, tripe (cow or ox stomach) is popular, and French chefs in upscale restaurants serve dishes based on cow's brains and kidneys.
And many sausage casings are made from intestine, the 'natural' casing.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's always good to check Snopes snopes.com: Mechanically Separated Chicken

Looks like the intestines (with contents) part is a myth. There's a difference between MSB (prohibited since 2004) and BLBT (allowed, even without labeling).

I've always assumed that sausage and hot dogs are made out of parts that I wouldn't eat individually, and I eat sausage frequently. But, I'm disappointed that we don't require better labeling for ground beef.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
It's always good to check Snopes snopes.com: Mechanically Separated Chicken

Looks like the intestines (with contents) part is a myth. There's a difference between MSB (prohibited since 2004) and BLBT (allowed, even without labeling).

I've always assumed that sausage and hot dogs are made out of parts that I wouldn't eat individually, and I eat sausage frequently. But, I'm disappointed that we don't require better labeling for ground beef.
Actually, I had just pulled a book off my shelf and re-read a few parts of it ' The Big Book of Big Secrets', and there is a chapter on 'mystery meats'. Hot dogs are pretty tame. While they can contain 'meat by-products' (lips, tongues, stomach, heart), they have to be called 'wieners with variety meats' (or equivalent) and those parts must be listed in the ingredients. So most hot dog brands choose to avoid having to put 'pig snouts' on the label, figuring that would turn off a lot of people, and hurt sales. Two-three % salt though, and LOTS of fat.

Any meat-type product with the word 'loaf' in the description and w/o the word 'meat' can contain a lot of filler (olive loaf, picnic loaf, pimento loaf). SPAM is what we would call 'real meat', but with lots of fat and some sugar. 'Potted meat food product' and Chorizo Sausage (which I love!), well, you might not want to know.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:08 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And many sausage casings are made from intestine, the 'natural' casing.

-ERD50
Haggis is delicious, as is sausage, . . .

People don't want to be reminded what they're eating. They want to enjoy a steak and not have to think about the bloody animal carcass it came from or the mold that they pay extra for in the really good "dry aged" cuts.

Quote:
The process of dry-aging usually also promotes growth of certain fungal (mold) species on the external surface of the meat. This doesn't cause spoilage, but actually forms an external "crust" on the meat's surface, which is trimmed off when the meat is prepared for cooking. These fungal species complement the natural enzymes in the beef by helping to tenderize and increase the flavor of the meat. The genus Thamnidia, in particular, is known to produce collagenolytic enzymes which greatly contribute to the tenderness and flavor of dry-aged meat.
I have only two questions for food 1) will it harm me 2) is it tasty

As long as the answer to the first question is "No" then the second one is all that really matters.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I asked an employee in the meat department of Costco in Oregon the other day about 'beef slime'. He told me that all of the meat for the store comes from their own processing facility and that they do not use 'beef slime' (which he said grossed him out) in their hamburger whether it be fresh or frozen in patties.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:18 AM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The slime has been in fast food burgers for a while. I think they use up to 30% slime (dollar menu anyone). Some enterprising guy came up with the ammonia treatment to raise the PH above what e coli and other bugs could survive. They then put this stuff in a centrifuge to remove the fat. The trimmings used to make this stuff include floor scraps in the processing plant that was once only used for dog food. Bon appetit!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:20 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Horse hockey? How do they keep the ice skates on those hooves...?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Come to think of it, when we talk about fecal matters, anyone here thinks of that when he eats raw oysters? As far as I know, nobody gives these oyters an enema before consuming them. Nope, I do not do raw oysters, though I do eat shellfish.

I do eat shrimps that have not been deveined, but these are at least cooked. Yep, YMMV.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:42 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Oooo! I just ate some raw oysters! Yum! Yep - if you're eating the whole critter, you're eating everything.

DH and I are super picky about ground beef ever since the mad cow scare. We don't eat it in restaurants or buy it unless it is from a special grass-fed herd or some such. So I don't think we have to worry about pink slime - gross!

What does pink slime have to do with retirees? Looks like anyone eating fast food burgers is exposed to it.

Audrey
Old 03-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I asked an employee in the meat department of Costco in Oregon the other day about 'beef slime'. He told me that all of the meat for the store comes from their own processing facility and that they do not use 'beef slime' (which he said grossed him out) in their hamburger whether it be fresh or frozen in patties.
And you thought he would say something different?
I also talked to a butcher (well, a guy in the meat department) of my local store. He showed my how to tell the ground beef that comes from the "central plant" and the stuff they make right there. The stuff in the "tubes" comes from somewhere else entirely. In the case of Kroger, the styrofoam tray stuff with a colored label comes from the "central plant" and the packages with a black-and-white label are ground up right in the store's meat department. I didn't ask about the slime.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:22 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Well....I needed to cut back on my hamburger consumption. This report should do the trick. Anyone have a recommendation on a good veggie burger brand?