Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 06:12 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm so grateful to have FIREd on 12/15/2017. As a former state employee who oversaw federal funds received by our agency - it was always a circus answering all of the questions from the Governors Office and other stakeholders on what the effects would be on our agency. Usually, quite minimal - BUT you always had to expect the unexpected.

I
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2018, 06:24 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ha, ha, ha, and I sent in my passport for renewal last week. But it looks like it is safe.

STATE DEPARTMENT

Many State Department operations will continue in a shutdown. Passport and visa processing, which are largely self-funded by consumer fees, will not shut down. The agency's main headquarters in Washington, in consultation with the nearly 300 embassies, consulates and other diplomatic missions around the world, will draw up lists of nonessential employees who will be furloughed.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The media keeps trying to make me care. Another 'end of life as we know it' screed.

Right now the only thing I care about is the Jags/Pats game on Sunday. Priorities folks.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
Well, the government is shut down. It will be interesting to see the effects. if it continues very long I expect all of us will be impacted in some way...probably much more negatively than we could have imagined.
Having seen a few shutdowns before, I never noticed a difference. Traffic was a bit lighter, so that was plus.

I did notice the Government spent a few more hours closing unmanned places like boat launches and highway rest areas.

In the end, it's a plus for anyone that gets the free days off.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 01-20-2018, 06:49 AM   #65
Dryer sheet wannabe

As a federal employee one rub that it's me is that I am paid using what is called "3 year money" meaning you get it in chunks and can dispurse it over a three year period. During the last shutdown and presumably this one, I will be unaffected and report to work as usual and be paid as such in two weeks. One silver lining for those feds that don't save properly and are affected is that this past Thursday was payday so effects really wouldn't be noticed for at least two weeks.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:50 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Having seen a few shutdowns before, I never noticed a difference.
In general, what my local mayor does affects me more than anything the Feds have ever done. This'll all be over by Tuesday.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:23 AM   #67

Am I starting to notice a lack of empathy on the whole shutdown business? I guess when it happens or threatens to happen year to year the fear begins to wear off. Maybe they'll have to come up with another way to scare us (taxpayers) into squeezing more money out of us.
BTW I have absolutely no sympathy for wasteful gov't spending. CUT THE SPENDING! darn it!
Old 01-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Am I starting to notice a lack of empathy on the whole shutdown business? I guess when it happens or threatens to happen year to year the fear begins to wear off
Well, last week the media was pushing 'end of life as we know it' over a normal snowstorm here in New England. One local news anchor wondered aloud how many people would die from the snow (10 inches).

So yeah, the fear has worn off. Long ago.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI_RElater View Post
No, they aren’t guaranteed any back pay...
even those who are in “essential “ status don’t get paid immediately, but only when a final budget is enacted.

in the past, the lawmakers enacted a bill that ** did ** pay those who were furloughed but that is a case by case situation and there certainly is no guarantee that it will happen this time. further, despite the fact that you are furloughed, you are not allowed to get a job to tide you over, nor can you take a vacation... you are basically on-call subject to being recalled at any time. if you don’t return when they do call, that can be grounds for action including dismissal. paperwork to that effect is given to all employees subject to furlough
What you are saying is that they get back pay. Which is what I said.
I did not mention immediately.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

For me, not lack of empathy, but tired the issues used as political footballs in the powers that be in Washinton.

One step forward, two steps back, three steps sideways. Got better things to do than watch the powers that be jerkiny everyone around.

I do feel for those caught in the middle and have their situations in limo while the blame game goes on.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Not all get sent home. During the 1995-96 4-week shutdown, I was considered "essential" and went to work. I even got paid, but would have loved a 4-week "vacation" like many others got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
So if a government employee gets sent home during the shutdown without pay, but later gets paid for that time, isn't that a paid vacation?
Seems like it's better than a layoff when someone is working in private industry. Been there!
Old 01-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Taking your points (bolded above, in order)
- Agree that the nincompoops ARE the problem
- If they will be paid any way, why not just have them all report to work? Having them all stay home is part of the political theater
- Can' t argue with that too much. But I guess that means they are "non-essential". In which case, why do we need them?

Still reading, but want to comment on your last stmt...

non-essential means can this be put off a bit.... does it affect health and safety.... as an example, the HR people are non-essential, but you will not get a paycheck without them.... many more examples, but you know this anyhow...
Old 01-20-2018, 08:27 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free bird View Post
Does anyone know anyone who missed a pay check from a govt shutdown? Has anyone ever seen any evidence that Wall st has ever been effected by a shutdown?
I don't know anyone, personally, who missed a paycheck from a government shutdown, but as evidenced by some of the other posts here, it has happened. I just got lucky both times.

As for the stock market, I did keep some data from the 2013 shutdown, so some of these numbers might be useful. They sent us home on 10/1, and we came back on 10/16. My rate of return on investments, for the year, was at around 15.1% as of 9/30. On 10/4 it was 15%. Dropped a bit to 12.5% on 10/9. 16.7% as of 10/17. And I went on to finish 2013 up 23.1%.

So, looking at it from a stock market perspective, it seemed like a good thing. Still, it hurt a lot of people.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:30 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
The news report said that congress, however, would continue to receive timely paychecks.....
Oh please. It wouldn't make any difference if they didn't get paid.

Members of Congress Are Mostly Millionaires

I doubt any of our congresscritters are there because they need the paycheck.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:34 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

As someone else pointed out, the last shutdown seemed to be made harsher by intent... he said a number of places will stay open that were not open last time, but the employees will not be getting a paycheck.... this hinted that they will eventually get one for the work they do..

There are people who will be told to stay home.. no idea, but I would bet they will be paid...

[mod edit]

I think they will do a shorter term CR in a day or two and just keep doing this for awhile... but then again, I have a bad track record with gvmt predictions....
Old 01-20-2018, 08:38 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Still reading, but want to comment on your last stmt...

non-essential means can this be put off a bit.... does it affect health and safety.... as an example, the HR people are non-essential, but you will not get a paycheck without them.... many more examples, but you know this anyhow...
I agree, for the most part. I guess I was in a snarky mood.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I agree, for the most part. I guess I was in a snarky mood.
I know.... you had the emoji there.... but some might think you are serious....
Old 01-20-2018, 09:10 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

I have skin in the shutdown game, but only heart in the football stuff.

After Monday, I'll have a personalized view of the shutdown. Either I will be furloughed, and forced to use my PTO, or I will be "essential".

I'll be ok sitting here on the ledge.
Some I work with are not prepared.

Life will go on, unless the big one hits earth soon.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

Since the IRS is shut down, maybe they won't catch my 2015 excess Roth contribution! There's always an upside to a situation.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:36 AM   #80
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
A lot of government work is performed by contractors, They don't get paid if they are sent home unless their employers cover them. WHile Federal workers who are sent home have been paid in the past there is no guarantee - this time could be different.
As it should be. Why should you get paid for sitting home. They should apply for unemployment benefits like anybody else if it goes on long enough.
Closed Thread