Govt shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still reading, but want to comment on your last stmt...

non-essential means can this be put off a bit.... does it affect health and safety.... as an example, the HR people are non-essential, but you will not get a paycheck without them.... many more examples, but you know this anyhow...

I agree, for the most part. I guess I was in a snarky mood.

:D I have skin in the shutdown game, but only heart in the football stuff.

After Monday, I'll have a personalized view of the shutdown. Either I will be furloughed, and forced to use my PTO, or I will be "essential".

I'll be ok sitting here on the ledge.
Some I work with are not prepared.

Life will go on, unless the big one hits earth soon.

Since the IRS is shut down, maybe they won't catch my 2015 excess Roth contribution! There's always an upside to a situation.

A lot of government work is performed by contractors, They don't get paid if they are sent home unless their employers cover them. WHile Federal workers who are sent home have been paid in the past there is no guarantee - this time could be different.

As it should be. Why should you get paid for sitting home. They should apply for unemployment benefits like anybody else if it goes on long enough.

Sadly, the budget isn't now. It was Oct. 1. Thirteen appropriation bills, none of which were passed, all rolled into a continuing resolution and even that is almost four months overdue.

And yet, that still has nothing to do with DACA.....

As a fiscal conservative, I agree with the sentiment. [Moderators: feel free to cut if I am venturing into dangerous territory].

However, strictly for educational purposes, not political ones: The three biggest spending areas are: Defense (22%), Medicare/Health Care (27%), or Social Security/Pensions (26%).

If we agree that these are untouchable (and the last 2, being mandatory programs, pretty much are) then we are looking at cutting the remaining 28%. There must be cut-worthy programs there, but how much difference would cuts in those programs make to the overall budget? I don't mean: which programs do you not personally like; but how much difference would it make to the budget deficit, if one or another of them went away?

https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/US_fed_spending_pie_chart

A.
BTW I have absolutely no sympathy for wasteful gov't spending. CUT THE SPENDING! darn it!

As a fiscal conservative, I agree with the sentiment. [Moderators: feel free to cut if I am venturing into dangerous territory].

However, strictly for educational purposes, not political ones: The three biggest spending areas are: Defense (22%), Medicare/Health Care (27%), or Social Security/Pensions (26%).

If we agree that these are untouchable (and the last 2, being mandatory programs, pretty much are) then we are looking at cutting the remaining 28%. There must be cut-worthy programs there, but how much difference would cuts in those programs make to the overall budget? I don't mean: which programs do you not personally like; but how much difference would it make to the budget deficit, if one or another of them went away?

https://www.usgovernmentspending.com/US_fed_spending_pie_chart

But this whole thing has nothing to do with determining (long term at least) any fiscal changes or spending cuts/priorities.

Since neither party will step up and do their job with respect to a budget, this is just short term funding so they CAN do their jobs.... Good luck with that. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom