Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

"Granny Pod" Is this the answer to the LTC issue?
Old 07-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

"Granny Pod" Is this the answer to the LTC issue?

I can't figure out whether this is a great idea or a terrible one...

The ‘Granny Pod’ Alternative | Care2 Causes

Thoughts?
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll guess that most people could install the technology inside their homes. If necessary, add a first floor bedroom.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's a good idea. Why the heck not? If municipalities want to assure the zoning variances aren't being abused they can set up some sort of re-validation procedure, and even a fee to cover it.

Folks with a huge house and lots of money wouldn't benefit much--they can find room within the existing 4000 sq ft for Granny or build an addition. It's the folks in a 1700 sq ft spec house with kids still at home that could really use such a thing.

It looks fairly high-end, probably to get the concept off the ground. It could be done in a more affordable fashion and also designed to "plug in" directly to an existing structure so nobody has to go out in the cold or rain to pay a visit.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #4

Actually the floor camera idea could be adapted to existing homes as well. Although I have had an idea that has not been implemented, put microphones around the house hooked up to a computer with voice recognition software, that upon saying perhaps Mayday Mayday, calls 911 and connects the mike and a speaker to the phone. One could also combine this with motion detectors in the bathrooms, so that if there is no motion in the bathrooms for X hours help is summoned. The other monitors will just get better over time as well, such as the blood pressure cuff, why not take one of the wrist ones, put wi-fi in it, and a beeper as well (to find if it wanders off)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Damn, where was this when my kids were teenagers? I coulda popped them into one and locked the door til they were 18.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I think this is a great idea for an elder who still has the cognition to state a preference and the mobility to enjoy their privacy. It's not much different than the spare bedroom & guest bathroom.

The monitoring tech has been around for quite some time. A local company is doing a good business for those who prefer to live independently but who agree that they need frequent monitoring: iHealthHome System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Damn, where was this when my kids were teenagers? I coulda popped them into one and locked the door til they were 18.
Gotta be careful about providing lodging that's better than a dorm room or their first apartment...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think this is a great idea for an elder who still has the cognition to state a preference and the mobility to enjoy their privacy. It's not much different than the spare bedroom & guest bathroom.
Hmm....while you and I might view it that way, beauty is in the eye of the elder generation of curmudgeons beholder.

I still can hear my dear old grandmother (passed on last year) going on about how my sister made her an offer several years ago to come and live with her, and how she could live in the basement with her own guest area.

[insert voiceover of 84 year old extremely pissed Sicilian woman] The basement! The NERVE of her! I don't deserve to be put in a BASEMENT!

I don't even want to hazard what her reaction would be to a shipping container retrofitted to living quarters. In the backyard.

The worst is that she had no sense of humor. So even trying to joke about something like a Granny Pod for her would only result in her quoting you with all sincerity for the rest of her life, at the most random, embarrassing possible times.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:57 AM   #8

Like most things it can be used to the advantage AND/OR disadvantage.
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:26 AM   #9

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
Like most things it can be used to the advantage AND/OR disadvantage.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:32 AM   #10

I'm sure it will be a viable option for some people. But it looks like (installed) adding another room would be a similar expense and a lot less likely to run afoul of zoning issues.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Not tacky looking as I expected. The problem is that you would need a lot of space to install one of these. Maybe we will start seeing modular old folks communities populated with these units all monitored by caregivers in the sky.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I think the cost is a bit to high... $2000 per month for 288 sq ft?

I do not see enough equipment that would make it worth that much money....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

The physical attributes of the proposed living quarters look fine to me.

BUT - - there is another, bigger problem ostensibly being addressed here and I don't like the outcome at all. The assumption that one should just descend upon one's children and expect lifetime elder care from them as some kind of right is not fine, with me. Of course this depends on one's family customs and dynamics, so YMMV and that is perfectly OK with me. I'm just not enthused about doing something like that to my daughter, and will do all that I can to independently pay for my own care.

Perhaps these pods could be part of an assisted living facility, with (paid) caregivers moving from pod to pod as needed during the day.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Administrator

Just lock up granny in pod out back, that'll keep her from wandering off. Not sure what kind of emoticon to use here...

I wonder how granny pods fare in wind storms.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #15

Ms G and I stayed in a container home once, the owners called it temporary, no zoning violation.

container home.JPG
Old 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just lock up granny in pod out back, that'll keep her from wandering off. Not sure what kind of emoticon to use here...
My Dad's care facility uses RFID bracelets that alarm the exit doors. Certified Alzheimer's "memory care units" may use locked doors, although I bet that gets to be a problem during fires or fire drills.

You can also buy cheap GPS transmitters in shoes or bracelet/necklace jewelry. The service fee includes a certain number of monthly "Find my Mom!" calls to their tracking facility.

The fees are actually quite reasonable due to volume production... because they're also popular for pets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I wonder how granny pods fare in wind storms.
I think L. Frank Baum covered that during the tornado in "The Wizard of Oz"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Fit the person to the home, however it is done.

We live in a senior community complex with four step living possiblilites. Currently in a regular house "Villa"(step one). Were I alone, I would be happier living in a senior apartment, with others of my age for social contact. (step two). When necessary, a move to assisted living, (step three). If and when necessary, the nursing home, (step four). Also a full featured rehab center, and an Alzheimer separate nursing home addition.

There are hundreds of similar complexes throughout the nation. It allows senior retirees to build and continue social contacts in the later years.

Our complex is named Liberty Village... Google "simply the finest" for an overview.

The granny house sounds very attractive, but in a complex many of the features are duplicated...
Pull cords in every room connected to response service in the complex, lever handled doors (easier for arthritis sufferers) no door sills, carpeted floors, slide out cupboards, waist level electrical outlets, extra wide doors, raised bathroom toilets, walk in showers with hand holds, and seats.

Sorry if this is off topic, but thought it may be interesting as an alternative for couples, and a transition for when anything happens... health problems, death of a partner, temporary disability.

The two thousand dollars a month mentioned in an earlier post, would provide a modern studio apartment, with all expenses except phone paid, two major meals a day, use of library, beauty shop, common rooms, card and game room, restaurant, transportation for doctors, shopping and social events, light housekeeping, and planned activities for those who want more.

It's not for everyone, but we enjoy our home, and feel a degree of safety about our future, should anything disrupt our perfect retirement.

The issue is Long Term Care. This is one alternative.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

The monitoring tech has been around for quite some time. A local company is doing a good business for those who prefer to live independently but who agree that they need frequent monitoring: iHealthHome System

Thanks for the link. Good stuff.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #19

Interesting concept. I kind of wish I'd know about this 6-7 years ago when we were first addressing this need.

We ended up building a "companion unit" granny flat in our back yard. The in-laws did not want to be in our house "imposing" on us. They want privacy and independence. But FIL has had mobility and cognitive issues for a decade and MIL (in her mid 80's) needs more and more assistance caring for him as she gets older. She was injuring herself trying to care for him. Like many folks who grew up in the depression - she is unwilling to consider a nursing home because of the medicaid spend down rules. There is no long term insurance. They don't have a huge net worth - but what they have gives her a sense of security. Family has been encouraging her to consider the care facility solution but she won't have it.

For us building the granny flat was a good solution - and it will provide income (rent) when they no longer need it. That rent was not a driver when we were building 5 years ago- but it's making our retirement income stream look a bit rosier when we quit our j*bs in the next few years.

My husband is an architect - and incorporated many of the features described with the granny pod - ADA bathroom w/ roll in shower. Grab bars and other accessible/mobility features. It works very well for their needs - but decent finishes make it less "hospital". (Example: shower is a wet room - but tiled in a very nice travertine... nicer than our current master bath.)

It's nice to talk about putting an aging parent in the spare bedroom - but the aging parent might have different ideas about whether that's a good solution. Rational/logic does not always apply.

Here's a pic of the unit when it was close to done. (Still needed patio railing, etc..) It's smaller than it looks - just under 700sf.

rodi is offline   Reply With Quote