Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Great CD rate being offered by USAlliance FCU
Old 07-30-2015, 04:20 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great CD rate being offered by USAlliance FCU

USAlliance Federal Credit Union is offering a 25 month CD with a rate of 2.27%APY for new members only. It is NCUA insured Easy to join and can be done online. Maximum CD of 100K. It appears to be the best rate around for this mid-term length. EWP is harsh at 12 month penalty. Offer is good until Aug 3rd.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #2

No one has commented on this offer, so I'm not sure if there was any interest, but in communicating with this CU, they let me know that this offer has been extended for a unknown limited time. In addition, I found out their savings account rate is 3% on the 1st $500. Hey, every little bit counts.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:50 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

I may check it out. NFCU has an Easy Saver CD at 3%, but the max is $3k and only one per member.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-04-2015, 11:36 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm getting a little over 2% APR (current rates) on 30 month IRA CD's at several of my local banks here in Texas, with no $$$ limits, FDIC insured to 250k and no early withdrawal penalties. All the rates suck these days but it's still not worth it to me to change for less than a 1/4 point and no FDIC insurance.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

Car-Guy, I agree a 1/4% isn't worth moving especially with no EWP but regarding FDIC, this is a credit union so they use NCUA which is the government equivalent of FDIC specifically for credit unions.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
Car-Guy, I agree a 1/4% isn't worth moving especially with no EWP but regarding FDIC, this is a credit union so they use NCUA which is the government equivalent of FDIC specifically for credit unions.
I would not be concerned with NCUA insurance but I would not like the 100k CU deposit limits.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 01:25 PM   #7

US Alliance has re-offered this. I would like to get another CD but cannot unless someone joins the CU to get this CD and uses me as a referral. If anyone is interested in get this CD, can you please PM me so that I can give you my member Id so you can use me as a referral. Thanks
Old 10-01-2015, 04:10 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

MJ, I don't see a 25 month CD for 2.27%. Am I missing something on their site?

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

You may find this CD of interest:

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog...-addon-cd.html

It's 3 years and 3.04%.
adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I'm getting a little over 2% APR (current rates) on 30 month IRA CD's at several of my local banks here in Texas, with no $$$ limits, FDIC insured to 250k and no early withdrawal penalties. All the rates suck these days but it's still not worth it to me to change for less than a 1/4 point and no FDIC insurance.
Car-Guy,
If you don't mind me asking ... what banks in Texas are you finding over 2% with no limits or early withdrawal penalties?
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrift View Post
You may find this CD of interest:

https://www.depositaccounts.com/blog...-addon-cd.html

It's 3 years and 3.04%.
Thanks! Not only is it high rate for 3 years, but it has an add-on feature that lets you add funds up to the 100k limit any time you want. Sweet.

- George Orwell

Old 10-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
MJ, I don't see a 25 month CD for 2.27%. Am I missing something on their site?
Apparently, it is gone. They have them periodically for a short time. I will check out the other offering posted for 3 year at 3.04%
Old 10-02-2015, 07:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks! Not only is it high rate for 3 years, but it has an add-on feature that lets you add funds up to the 100k limit any time you want. Sweet.
That is a great rate for a 3 yr CD. Has anyone used this credit union before and can vouch for them?

From reading the comments it appears one can pay $10 to become a member of FAN financial literacy program and that qualifies you to become a member of the credit union. Anyone done this?
Earl E Retyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl E Retyre View Post
That is a great rate for a 3 yr CD. Has anyone used this credit union before and can vouch for them?

From reading the comments it appears one can pay $10 to become a member of FAN financial literacy program and that qualifies you to become a member of the credit union. Anyone done this?
I am doing exactly that, and will let you know when my application moves past "pending." Bet they are getting flooded with money.

- George Orwell

Old 10-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #15

Quote:
I am doing exactly that, and will let you know when my application moves past "pending." Bet they are getting flooded with money.
I am interested in this CD too. Will look into it more today. I would have to join.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:56 AM   #16

I checked the list of companies and organization and I unfortunately couldn't find any I could use to become a member. As a retired person for many years, anyone have some helpful hints on getting around this?
Old 10-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ View Post
I checked the list of companies and organization and I unfortunately couldn't find any I could use to become a member. As a retired person for many years, anyone have some helpful hints on getting around this?
You can join the FAN (Financial Assistance Network) group that Brewer and Earl E mentioned for only $10. FAN is a non-profit membership organization committed to financial education (according to their membership application. I do see some local activities that they sponsor so I would be comfortable to join.
Old 10-02-2015, 09:24 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

I agree that if you pay $10 and join FAN you are eligible for membership to the CU. Has anyone figured out how to join FAN without printing out an application and snail mailing it in? I mean, really? Apparently members can renew online, but new members cannot join online?
By the time I become a member the offer will likely be gone...
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead View Post
I agree that if you pay $10 and join FAN you are eligible for membership to the CU. Has anyone figured out how to join FAN without printing out an application and snail mailing it in? I mean, really? Apparently members can renew online, but new members cannot join online?
By the time I become a member the offer will likely be gone...
You tell them your eligibility to join is through FAN and then they give you an option of joining both FAN and NWFU at the same time.

- George Orwell

Old 10-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Brewer!
I'm pending now as well.
I have another question: If the maximum balance is $100,000, can you fund it with $100,000 and the dividends will go over the maximum balance, or is $100,000 the maximum balance that the account can ever be and at this point all dividends will be paid to the (required) savings account and thus not compounded?

Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've never opened a CD before.
When you walk in the shadow of insanity, the presence of another mind that thinks and acts as yours does is something close to a blessed event. -Robert Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
panhead is offline   Reply With Quote