Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-18-2008, 01:16 PM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Raygun I completely get your point, but see this thread:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ice-38767.html

from one of the more live-below-your-meansers on this board, whose priorities I would say from earlier posts are admirable.

Now, back to the Great Depression
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raygun99 View Post
Good point for people who need to keep milk for children or medications cool. Those without electricity have already lost the food in their refrigerators and iceboxes. We would be better off providing dry goods and fresh water vs. trying to maintain perishable goods in these situations such as MRES vs. carrying tons of ICE -- Just a matter of logical resources after 7 days of storm outages. Those with life threatening needs should be evacuated to a better location for the duration. It’s a real mess and I don’t think our priorities are always well thought out.
I thought most hospitals had backup systems. A good use of the National Guard would be to keep those generators running at the water treatment, phone, and emergency centers like hospitals

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:29 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

lets see if i can tie a few threads here: last i checked, europe isn't in the tropics. ice is more than substenance, more than helpful to perishable meds & foods. it is morality, less cold comfort and more warmth. a few cubes of luxury when your world has been torn asunder and your glass spilled half empty. not unlike a little soup and a piece of bread off a line when your roof has been torn from over your head and you've lost your financial footing.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 03:15 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
Not to be a school marm, but...

White space and paragraphs, please! It's makes things so much easier to read.

I've almost done this before but I know it can come across as picky and b!tchy. Please don't take it that way. Just friendly critique.
How about using complete sentences that include both a subject and a verb?
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:10 PM   #45

Quote:
Not to be a school marm, but...

I've almost done this before but I know it can come across as picky and b!tchy. Please don't take it that way. Just friendly critique.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
How about using complete sentences that include both a subject and a verb?
"enough!" is a complete sentence. so i suppose then that "'enough!' is a complete sentence." is a complete sentence within a complete sentence. that could go on for quite some time so don't get me started.

some words are understood though not expressed. example: use white space. "use" is understood and even there what is understood is you should use white space. but just like enough! is enough (understood to mean: "that's enough of this."), white space is also enough.

if you wanted a legit bitch, ya should've attacked the it's of "it's makes things so much easier to read."

signed, yours truly, thecaplesspickyproofreadingbitch

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 09-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum View Post
"enough!" is a complete sentence. so i suppose then that "'enough!' is a complete sentence." is a complete sentence within a complete sentence. that could go on for quite some time so don't get me started.

some words are understood though not expressed. example: use white space. "use" is understood and even there what is understood is you should use white space. but just like enough! is enough (understood to mean: "that's enough of this."), white space is also enough.

if you wanted a legit bitch, ya should've attacked the it's of "it's makes things so much easier to read."
Hey, now he can go after how difficult it is to read posts with no capital letters.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:26 PM   #47

oh give me a break & quit threadjacking. i can't afford them while the great depression churns. they are very valuable ya know & i suspect if i keep my caps dry i'll make a killing when you all run out of yours. fortunately, since coming out of early retirement & preparing for my next career as a caps trader, i found time to learn from my harbrace college handbook about sentence structure even while waiting without any icecubes on a breadline for a handout of some porridge.

Old 09-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #48

Yep you're one of those capital hoarders. Bet your house is 4 feet deep in them and you only have a small trail to get from room to room. No wonder that place hasn't sold.
Old 09-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #49

lololol. actually the last person thru the inherited house did complain about the tenant's boxes. but frankly, my dear, at this point of the crash, i don't give a damn.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Hey, now he can go after how difficult it is to read posts with no capital letters.
Obviously, you've decided to to ignore my point. That is, if someone is going to criticize others for not using perfect grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc., that person should have perfect perfect mastery of the English language. I am guilty of not using paragraphs, but this forum has always been informal and should stay that way.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #51

Quote:
Obviously, you've decided to to ignore my point.
Nope. Obviously you've misinterpreted who the "he" is in my post.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
-
I sent Gardnr a private and sincere thank you for pointing that out. I agree. That particular long paragraph was difficult to read. Do we need a poll on this?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:44 PM   #53

No.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:46 PM   #54

Quote:
Obviously, you've decided to to ignore my point. That is, if someone is going to criticize others for not using perfect grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc., that person should have perfect perfect mastery of the English language. I am guilty of not using paragraphs, but this forum has always been informal and should stay that way.
Quote:
Nope. Obviously you've misinterpreted who the "he" is in my post.
and i was only making a point of the point. that does it. that's the last time i make a point of somebody else's it's.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No.
That's a relief.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 05:47 PM   #56

Quote:
and i was only making a point of the point. that does it. that's the last time i point a finger at somebody else's it's.
Yep, it's pointless.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:56 PM   #57

Quote:
Yep, it's pointless.
or is it?

nurse diesel's pointy it's

Old 09-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #58

Quote:
oh give me a break & quit threadjacking. i can't afford them while the great depression churns. they are very valuable ya know & i suspect if i keep my caps dry i'll make a killing when you all run out of yours. fortunately, since coming out of early retirement & preparing for my next career as a caps trader, i found time to learn from my harbrace college handbook about sentence structure even while waiting without any icecubes on a breadline for a handout of some porridge.
I've always been impressed with the absence of capital letters in your posts. Your individuality truly stands out. You should be commended for scholarly dedication to your studies for safely hoarding your copy of Harbrace College Handbook from English 101 for so many decades. Most people wouldn't have taken their studies so seriously and would have sold it back to their college bookstore.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:59 PM   #59
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I just want to know who's going to have to wear the to to.

Frankly if I see a big fat honking paragraph thats half a page long, I skip along to the next post. I dont think it has a thing to do with Mr. Language Person stuff, its just too hard to pick the points out of a stream of consciousness.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I just want to know who's going to have to wear the to to.

Frankly if I see a big fat honking paragraph thats half a page long, I skip along to the next post. I dont think it has a thing to do with Mr. Language Person stuff, its just too hard to pick the points out of a stream of consciousness.
You've raised a very valid point. Obviously, if you don't read what I've written, I've failed as a communicator. Thanks for the insight! Perhaps I need to consider the use of paragraphs and white space.