Join Early Retirement Today

Great Depression comparison
Old 09-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Great Depression comparison

If you were to compare the market today with the market during the great depression, how much lower do you think the market would have to go to be equal to that time? Cletis

PS. I have to quit thinking so much!
cletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ain't even close!
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If enough people start believing it, we're doomed to repeat it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

From a perspective of DJIA drop (and there was a lot more to Great Depression than that) the market went from 381 on Sep 3 1929 to close at 41 the following July. That's an 89% decline from it's peak.

Right now the DJIA is fiddling around 11k, and I forget the alltime high last year of 14k and change.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 03:46 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, the DOW would have to drop another 75%, and I assume the S&P would need to do the same. I'm seriously doubting that will happen. If nothing else, there are many checks and balances in place now that are specifically designed to stop another GD from happening.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #6

is today's economy too big for the depression to happen again, or the world too dangerous?

chart from stockcharts.com

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

While we are busy scaring ourselves perhaps we should be looking at portfolio results for a balanced portfolio during the great depression. Use a tool like FIRECalc and look at the spreadsheet results. It was bad but wasn't that bad assuming you had good safe bets in the bond portion of the portfolio like 5yr Treasuries. Remember there was big time deflation so that any money you had went up in value.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cletis View Post
If you were to compare the market today with the market during the great depression, how much lower do you think the market would have to go to be equal to that time? Cletis

PS. I have to quit thinking so much!
Don't give CNBC any ideas.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:49 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

OK, using the numbers provided above,

(41/381) x 14,000 = 1507

So, the Dow would have to drop to around 1507.

Not gonna happen this week!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:13 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I don't think there is anyone around who personally recalls the Great Depression (unless Jarhead* is still lurking out there somewhere ). But some of us were around in 1987 for Black Monday when the Dow dropped 22.6%, five times yesterday's loss. That's equivalent to dropping 2,580 points in a single day.

Hard to imagine, but those of us who stayed in the market survived nicely.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yep, the next couple of days after that were pretty darn good for anyone holding brave cash...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Yep, the next couple of days after that were pretty darn good for anyone holding brave cash...
And profited mightily, too.

Those were our pre-Quicken days and I've long ago lost track of the cost basis but I've often wondered if Black Monday was the foundation of our ER.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

But don't forget, yesterday was the Largest Point Drop since 9/11. In the entire great depression, the Dow only went down 340 points, but yesterday it went down 504 points. So it's worse.

Boy, news people are dumb.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:35 PM   #14

great depression didn't begin until 1932, not the market crash. until then it was a recession. 1932 was when the bank failures started
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:46 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

American Experience | The Crash of 1929 | PBS

I have no comment except to refer to the balloon sentiment at WaMu, "Don't worry, be happy " I'm not selling.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
But some of us were around in 1987 for Black Monday when the Dow dropped 22.6%, five times yesterday's loss. That's equivalent to dropping 2,580 points in a single day.

I remember being huddled around a "Quotron" terminal in the investment library of MegaCorp hitting the quote button repeatedly for the DOW and not believing what we saw. I was thinking '1929' that day for sure.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:25 PM   #17

The majority of people are still working. In the depression not the case
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Exactly. Most Americans also have much more buffer of disposable income in our lives than people did back then... it would take a lot more to put your average middle class family in a soup line than in the 1920s because of how much they spent putting bread on the table vs. today.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #19

Interesting article in WSJ
MarketBeat : Shareholders Run, Much Like Depositors Once Did

"Richard Bernstein, chief U.S. investment strategist at Merrill Lynch, said each of the crises has been dealt with as a “one-off” instead of looking at the systemic problem in the credit crisis. And until the concerns with credit and the lasting impact of strained capital is appropriately handled, the backbone of the entire global economy is in jeopardy.
'What people still are missing is that every growth story of the last five to ten years has been based on credit. China, commodities, real estate, hedge funds, everything was a capital-intense endeavor. Global growth was the symptom of the credit bubble,' he said."
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #20

How many bread lines have you seen lately? Using the word "depression" right now is probably pretty offensive to anyone who actually lived thru it.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote