Join Early Retirement Today

Great quote from Ken Fisher
Old 09-26-2019, 11:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Great quote from Ken Fisher

Not sure which forum this belongs in , but I really like it!

Spend time defining who you are. You get to decide who you are after you retire. When you were working, your company, position & coworkers limited your self-definition. View retirement an opportunity to think through who you want to be.

FREE866 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I disagree. I defined myself when I was working also by treating people with respect, making ethical and prudent decisions and listening when it was needed. Have not swayed off those principles

Old 09-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
I disagree. I defined myself when I was working also by treating people with respect, making ethical and prudent decisions and listening when it was needed. Have not swayed off those principles

That's a fair take, but I read it more as the opportunity to spend your time doing things that define who you are. Doing things that have meaning to you. Most jobs/career don't offer that. Didn't for me anyway.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I put it another way: Since I was six years old, someone has told me when to awaken, when to sleep, when I can eat, when I can go to the facility, and often what clothes I could/should wear.

Now itís my turn!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #5

I get it, but I spent my career getting paid for exactly what I had always wanted to do. I'm sure Ken Fisher's quote applies to a lot of people, but it doesn't apply to me.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

As a kid my dad mandated frequent buzz haircuts. Then I join the Air Force for 20+ years and had to keep it short. Now finally I am retired and can enjoy the luxury of a long, wild hair style....except now I'm bald!
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #7

What if you started your own business like I did?
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
That's a fair take, but I read it more as the opportunity to spend your time doing things that define who you are. Doing things that have meaning to you. Most jobs/career don't offer that. Didn't for me anyway.
Yes.

I get that you can have a job that you enjoy and have satisfaction from. But if your work doesn't at all constrain who you want to be or what you want to do with your life, why retire early?
Old 09-26-2019, 03:49 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowballCamper View Post
Yes.

I get that you can have a job that you enjoy and have satisfaction from. But if your work doesn't at all constrain who you want to be or what you want to do with your life, why retire early?

then I guess keep working.

To clarify, I enjoyed my working years, but it certainly didn't "define " me...

In my 28 year working career I was in sales---I sold financial products, then talent for TV commercials and then print..they were sales jobs.....~50 hours a week that was my focus....

now I'm retired
my focus now is numerous volunteer projects --helping immigrants study for their GEDs, teaching chess to young children, helping the elderly with creative writing and engagement, and I also do work helping animals . So FOR ME--these activities are more in line with my values...I'm not stating this to brag , but just that has been my experience.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #10
gone traveling

Quote:
Spend time defining who you are. You get to decide who you are after you retire. When you were working, your company, position & coworkers limited your self-definition. View retirement an opportunity to think through who you want to be.
I understand the sentiment. But I've always chosen my workplace based on who and what I wanted to be. So, at least for me, I don't need to redefine myself now that I'm retired.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:54 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
As a kid my dad mandated frequent buzz haircuts. Then I join the Air Force for 20+ years and had to keep it short. Now finally I am retired and can enjoy the luxury of a long, wild hair style....except now I'm bald!
Grow out the back with a ponytail. lol
Old 09-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #12

Quote:

You lost me at Ken Fisher. Just got another mailing from Fisher investments today.

I suspect he would add to the quote, "and don't forget to invest your money with me"
Old 09-26-2019, 04:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I put it another way: Since I was six years old, someone has told me when to awaken, when to sleep, when I can eat, when I can go to the facility, and often what clothes I could/should wear.

Now itís my turn!
The flip side of that was expressed by Red, "Forty years I've been asking permission to p*ss. I can't squeeze a drop without say-so. There's a harsh truth to face: no way I'm gonna make it on the outside."
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
I was gonna grow my hair long, grow a beard and try pot after I retired from the Navy. Found I couldn't stand going for more than a couple of months without a haircut or about 5 days without a shave. By the time I had nothing to lose smoking pot (e.g., security clearance) I was no longer interested.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:31 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Work has never defined me.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:49 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

FISHER INVESTMENTS are crooks. Period. They used to (over 20yrs ago)exclusively sell annuities, all different kinds, to supposedly "qualified applicants,(people whom knew no better usually pumping up their self assessment as being qualified) ....except SPIAs.

Now.....they're falling in line & adjusting.
This I know as fact, despite whatever you find online.
Good luck!
Old 09-26-2019, 05:54 PM   #17

Actually, an annuity originating from over 20 years ago might look pretty darn good about now, given that few back then correctly saw how far and low interest rates would drop, and for how long.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:10 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
Actually, an annuity originating from over 20 years ago might look pretty darn good about now, given that few back then correctly saw how far and low interest rates would drop, and for how long.
A 1yr treasury bill was 5.78 back then(2000), there are multiple benchmarks.

My point was I had a" FISHER INVESTMENTS " client office in an office bld. They were there ONLY to maximize profits from clients with life insurance & annuities retirement models .
Best wishes....
Old 09-26-2019, 08:45 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt View Post
A 1yr treasury bill was 5.78 back then(2000), there are multiple benchmarks.

My point was I had a" FISHER INVESTMENTS " client office in an office bld. They were there ONLY to maximize profits from clients with life insurance & annuities retirement models .
Best wishes....

They used to sell ONLY annuities?

do you have a source for that claim?
thx
Old 09-26-2019, 09:18 PM   #20

Glad I don't know this KF person.

gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote