Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Today is my 12 years retired anniversary. We've been through 2 extremely nasty bear markets during that time period. I'm hoping this one is more in the "market correction" scenario as I think companies are way more sound than they were in 2008 (the unsound ones have already failed) and were already set up for our high unemployment slow economy. I think it's just that the markets finally paid attention to what the economy watchers had been warning us about for a while. Or maybe it's just that the stimulus keeping the asset prices up finally ran out.

I spent quite a bit of money today. A good chunk on wine.....

I reviewed our short-term funds and just realized I'd socked a good chunk away earmarked "Special Travel Fund" - I'd forgotten I did that earlier this year! A nice cushion.

Not sure that we're really going to cut back much. My gut says it might be better to spend more now if the future is going to be worse anyhow. You never know how much time you have or what nasty thing might be waiting around the corner.

Besides, if we really do get deflation, things will just keep getting cheaper...

Now if fuel prices would just keep coming down.....

Audrey
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

No so much inspired by the recent falling market. Mainly inspired by the prospect of both of us reaching full retirement soon, yet still spending too much. So we need to improve LBYM regardless of the market. Using less gas, electricity, etc - we're making a little progress.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:04 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No - we are following through with our home improvement plans - and continuing to score discounts and deals along the way as well. This economy allows for better deals than when everyone is feeling financially-fat! Vacations are always booked with FF miles...
Old 08-10-2011, 06:12 AM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
It's a little late for us. We have already booked our flights and hotels for a trip to Seattle and Vancouver. We may refrain from spending too much there.
Hey! We just got back from seattle and Vancouver! You are going to love it!!!
novaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:52 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
It's a little late for us. We have already booked our flights and hotels for a trip to Seattle and Vancouver. We may refrain from spending too much there.
If someone already has a tripped planned, just go and enjoy it! Ignore the market shenanigans. You never know what is around the next corner. It's important to really enjoy each trip, because who knows if .... Don't let stupid market events distract you from enjoying your life.

If you truly can't turn off the daily market noise, then build yourself an extra cushion during the less volatile times so that you can enjoy yourself without feeling like you have to hold back during those times that have been designated for max fun!

Audrey
Old 08-10-2011, 10:51 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBmadera
yes, we had the enhanced "austerity" discussion this past weekend. we are cutting back by about 10%....no NFL Sunday ticket for me...:-(
JBmadera- Life isn't worth living without the NFL Sunday package. Call and threaten to cancel. I did that last week and they dropped the monthly fee from $53 to $33 a month. Buy cheaper beer to drink while watching and you still met your austerity guidelines!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Moving made 2011 an expensive year, but I am now more or less back to my previous relatively frugal ways. I have a better schedule and am doing more home cooking, which is both healthier and cheaper. I am spending more on gas because my commute is longer, but I have not bought a new car, which I had planned to do. I am planning to use frequent flyer miles for my winter vacation. I have allocated myself a budget for the remainder of 2011, which I have never done before. That will be a good test of my ER budget. I have bought golf clubs and am taking lessons, but a girl must have some fun!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote