Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2024, 08:24 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enuff2Eat View Post
Is it wishful thinking or greedy of me to ask my financial advisor to get us a higher return than the index SP500? The financial advisor says that "he can help me and manage my portfolio" . If not, what is the point of paying them? I could just stick with what I already have....

FA can't even beat sp500...so they hoover around 5-6%.... maybe I just buy CD ladder?

enuff2eat
I've never had a financial advisor with investing, but I dont think its a bad idea. Anyway, I invest in both CDs and stocks. CDs are still good rates right now compared to the last 15 years. I am considering selling additional stock for another medium term CD at 5%.

DollarSavingsDirect still has a 3-year 5% CD. Just opened one, and thinking about another. Especially with Fed reserve talk to start lowering rates again.

dollarsavingsdirect.com/securebanking/login.do
pc95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2024, 01:29 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

Look at the investment strategies by Paul Merriman that beat the S&P 500 - long term (as in decades). Alll of his strategies are based on academic study of returns over decades (of course, they cannot predict the future) This may also simplify your portfolio and the advisor may not be needed. You also need to consider your age and risk tolerance plus if you have enough money already and do not need to have higher risk.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 01:46 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnontrad View Post
Look at the investment strategies by Paul Merriiman that beat the S&P 500 - long term (as in decades). This may also simplify your portfolio and the advisor may not be needed.
I looked here: https://www.paulmerriman.com/these-7...-than-50-years These appear to be portfolios constructed by backtesting. To use backtesting to find winners is the easiest thing in the world. You just follow Will Rogers' advice: "If it don't go up, don't buy it."
Old 02-10-2024, 03:38 PM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I suggest that you fire your current FA and purchase 100% VG TSM fund then let 'er ride. If this does not work after 15-20 years, get back to me and I will come up with something else.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 04:04 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
A few years ago, I show my DFIL in the middle of the 30 pages year end statement of his Chase investments (full of legalise) was the fee they charged $2,000 on a $100K account.

It didn't include the fund charges for each of the many investments in the account.

Emphasis mine.

I noticed this in the account a parent had that was managed by Raymond James. The loaded funds and also funds of funds that RJ was putting their money in plus the AUM would have cut a huge chunk in their retirement balance had they not changed to just indexing at Vanguard many years ago.
WannabeRetired is offline   Reply With Quote