Join Early Retirement Today

Group in S.F. goes a year without shopping
Old 01-03-2007, 09:00 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Group in S.F. goes a year without shopping

This guys are on a sure path to FIRE.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070103/...ing_sabbatical
camberiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Group in S.F. goes a year without shopping
Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"The San Francisco group... exempted food, essential toiletries like toothpaste and shampoo, underwear and other purchases that fell under the categories of health and safety from their pledge."

"[Rachel] Kesel broke down only twice. [she bought a travel guidebook : and a coffee mug : ]".

These guys are probably vegetarians too. The kind of vegetarians that don't have a problem eating chicken, turkey, pork, fish, shrimp, shellfish, etc. if the mood strikes them.

justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I take it that you find them to "softcore" for you taste?
camberiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
"The San Francisco group... exempted food, essential toiletries like toothpaste and shampoo, underwear and other purchases that fell under the categories of health and safety from their pledge."

"[Rachel] Kesel broke down only twice. [she bought a travel guidebook : and a coffee mug : ]".

These guys are probably vegetarians too. The kind of vegetarians that don't have a problem eating chicken, turkey, pork, fish, shrimp, shellfish, etc. if the mood strikes them.

So you're castigating someone for striving for a goal and failing to reach it? Or am I missing something?
peggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife and I have been trying to consume less lately, so this article was a good example of the extreme side of things. I am going to check out Freecycle.com as it is probably a good complement to our already strong Craigslist forages.
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggy
So you're castigating someone for striving for a goal and failing to reach it? Or am I missing something?
Yes I am castigating these folks and no I don't think you are missing anything.

I just read another story about "The Compact" folks who apparently also are allowed to buy unlimited second hand stuff.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Yes I am castigating these folks and no I don't think you are missing anything.

I just read another story about "The Compact" folks who apparently also are allowed to buy unlimited second hand stuff.
Okay. I just didn't (don't) understand why you'd castigate them. Is it something I'd want to do? No, but if it works for them, more power to them. I do think, though, that their compact was motivated more by concern for the environment than by money, and so I think camberiu's slugline that they're on a sure path to FIRE is inaccurate.

And the linked article specifically says they wouldn't buy anything NEW, so my lack of understanding is growing.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #8

peggy,

Plenty of us LBYM folks buy stuff used/free off of craigslist or freecycle. I just think the idea of joining this "Compact" group to wear one's "save the earth" attitude on their sleeve is laughable. I generally don't buy much stuff new anyway, but not for environmental reasons. Mainly I ask myself "do I need this?" and the answer is usually no and I usually come to the conclusion that whatever I have is just fine and it isn't worth the hassle of acquiring the new item and learning how to use it and disposing of the old item.

I'm guessing a lot of these folks drive across town frequently in their expeditions (or other gas guzzler which consumes NEWLY PURCHASED gasoline) in order to buy a used widget instead of making a single trip to walmart to buy the same widget.

And then they have the wiggle room for food, health and safety items. Well, a wide range of things could arguably fit within these categories. A new car with better airbags and safety equipment - yep. New shoes that are ergonomically sound and contour to your feet - yep. New cell phone - yep.

These folks probably think nothing of taking their car into the shop and having new auto parts installed - ie if the transmission or other system were to fail.

But hey, it's their time and money, so I really don't care what they do.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
peggy,

Plenty of us LBYM folks buy stuff used/free off of craigslist or freecycle. I just think the idea of joining this "Compact" group to wear one's "save the earth" attitude on their sleeve is laughable. I generally don't buy much stuff new anyway, but not for environmental reasons. Mainly I ask myself "do I need this?" and the answer is usually no and I usually come to the conclusion that whatever I have is just fine and it isn't worth the hassle of acquiring the new item and learning how to use it and disposing of the old item.

I'm guessing a lot of these folks drive across town frequently in their expeditions (or other gas guzzler which consumes NEWLY PURCHASED gasoline) in order to buy a used widget instead of making a single trip to walmart to buy the same widget.

And then they have the wiggle room for food, health and safety items. Well, a wide range of things could arguably fit within these categories. A new car with better airbags and safety equipment - yep. New shoes that are ergonomically sound and contour to your feet - yep. New cell phone - yep.

These folks probably think nothing of taking their car into the shop and having new auto parts installed - ie if the transmission or other system were to fail.

Thanks for the explanation -- honest. Now I understand where you're coming from and, to a certain extent, agree.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
peggy,

Nice job! I agree with you wholeheartedly.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #11

As an example, I'd go out and buy flourescent light bulbs during my regular weekly run to walmart if I needed them. Not to save the earth, but because they save me money. I suppose a Compact member would have to find used (?!) light bulbs somewhere and use them. Now what are the odds that the Compact member will be able to find flourescent bulbs which are much more energy efficient and less waste (1 bulb and packaging in trash every 8 years w/ flourescent vs a dozen incandescent bulbs and all the associated packages).

Compact - a case of chopping off your arm to spite your hand?

I find it funny when people champion a cause in name mostly - I saved the whales! by buying this t-shirt for $25, of which $0.10 went to actually promoting whale protection. Or the folks who drive around in their expeditions and then donate to save the rainforest funds each year.

I'm no environmentalist, but I drive a rather gas efficient (and emission friendly) vehicle, keep said vehicle in good operating condition (maintains emission levels within low specifications), reduce my gas and electricity consumption (by having a small-ish house), and reduce what I consume to save money. I chain my trips together to reduce miles traveled (home-bank-store-work-restaurant-daycare-home). I walk to local shops, the grocery store, the bank, the library, etc. instead of driving (for health benefits of exercise and to enjoy the outdoors, plus a very small monetary saving).