Join Early Retirement Today

Guess we're doing ok?
Old 06-02-2017, 02:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Guess we're doing ok?

Had our annual review with our Fidelity managed account portfolio manager (and earlier in the day our account manager). Many of you know that Fidelity currently offers a Retirement Preparedness Measure (RPM) score, based on your input of planned expenses, assets and income over retirement. The portfolio manager said that in the many years he has been doing this, ours is the first time he saw the RPM score peg the meter at 150+ (it doesn't go higher than that.)

Our account manager ran analyses that showed us croaking with $10-15M in assets (I think that's in future dollars, maybe $4M in today's) assuming a "significantly underperforming" market.

DW has been, historically, much more conservative and worried about risk than I have been, but she is finally relaxing and coming around to the view that we probably don't have to worry about running out of money. I am 62 and retired earlier this year, DW is 65 and retired in 2004. We have lived below our means for decades and saved, but we live comfortably. We were told that we really need to spend more, given that our goals are to spend everything down.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonat View Post
Had our annual review with our Fidelity managed account portfolio manager (and earlier in the day our account manager). Many of you know that Fidelity currently offers a Retirement Preparedness Measure (RPM) score, based on your input of planned expenses, assets and income over retirement. The portfolio manager said that in the many years he has been doing this, ours is the first time he saw the RPM score peg the meter at 150+ (it doesn't go higher than that.)

Our account manager ran analyses that showed us croaking with $10-15M in assets (I think that's in future dollars, maybe $4M in today's) assuming a "significantly underperforming" market.

DW has been, historically, much more conservative and worried about risk than I have been, but she is finally relaxing and coming around to the view that we probably don't have to worry about running out of money. I am 62 and retired earlier this year, DW is 65 and retired in 2004. We have lived below our means for decades and saved, but we live comfortably. We were told that we really need to spend more, given that our goals are to spend everything down.
Good for YOU - sounds like the well-earned result of good planning and appropriate lifestyle. congrats!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, time to blow some dough!

You don't want to die with 15 million eh? Can't spend a dime when your dead. Have more fun now while you still can.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

So what are you going to do about this excessive​ frugality?
We need to see a list of line items. Maybe dates too.
Summer vacation season is almost here.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:53 PM   #5

If you had your life to live over again, would you still work till 62?
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:43 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, time to blow some dough!

You don't want to die with 15 million eh? Can't spend a dime when your dead. Have more fun now while you still can.
+1 You definitely don't want it to be subject to any inheritance tax
evilanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 04:35 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Definitely time to enjoy now.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:57 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

We are already taking vacations - two this year and two scheduled for next year. Our wills have everything going to charity, so tax is not an issue. We're not the sort to significantly change our lifestyle at this point in our lives, but it does mean we can loosen up a little. Just this morning DW decided that she could now "afford" to buy brown eggs instead of white eggs at the supermarket (50 cents more.)

I had been telling people at work that I would probably retire at 66 or 67, as long as I enjoyed the work, the people, and that I was comfortable with the work environment. Then last year Megacorp decided that it wanted to shed >10K workers and offered very generous buyout packages for retirement-eligible employees (which I definitely was.) Oh, and if I stayed (which my immediate management very much wanted me to do), my commute would change from 5 minutes to two hours in horrible traffic, as they were "consolidating" sites. That's what pushed me over the edge.

I was worried how I would handle it psychologically, but it's been great so far. In some sense I'm busier than ever and enjoying it greatly. I have stayed involved in my field of work but on my own terms.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:56 AM   #9

You can only spend it or give it away, now or later. Sounds like you don't want to spend much more so why don't you start giving away more now? Would be a lot more satisfying to see the results of your generosity. Of are you just so "conservative" that you would rather see it pile up?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:45 AM   #10

It's hard to change a lifetime of LBYM even when Firecalc says you can spend much more than you are.

But so far this year we've needed to replace a water heater, purchase new furniture for the family room, and do a variety of small repairs around the house. I used to worry about that stuff but now I just don't any more. That's the nice part of having extra cushion.

And just last week, when we went out for my favorite Chicken soup with matzo ball and kreplach, I asked the waitress for an extra kreplach in my soup. It felt so decadent, but I figured it was worth it to splurge a little.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

We have already stepped up our charitable giving, but who knows what the future may bring, so we don't want to make significant inroads to the savings so early in our retirement. Ask me again in 15-20 years. DW is convinced she won't live much past her mid-80s, based on family history. I could go well into the 90s.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post

And just last week, when we went out for my favorite Chicken soup with matzo ball and kreplach, I asked the waitress for an extra kreplach in my soup. It felt so decadent, but I figured it was worth it to splurge a little.
No kidding those little things can be a lot of fun and stress free spending.

Yesterday we bought 2 replacement low flow Kohler toilets. The plumber will be installing both. Our old ones are 30+ years old and it seemed the best idea to get all the hardware fixed at once.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:05 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We are already taking vacations - two this year and two scheduled for next year. Our wills have everything going to charity, so tax is not an issue. We're not the sort to significantly change our lifestyle at this point in our lives, but it does mean we can loosen up a little. Just this morning DW decided that she could now "afford" to buy brown eggs instead of white eggs at the supermarket (50 cents more.)
Careful, that is how the big spending starts.

We are taking 2 upcoming vacations too. Then there was that trip to Death Valley in February.

What I did was to identify the minimum spending level we should shoot for. Then I split the spending into Basics and Fun/Discretionary. Basics are all the regular bills plus standard restaurant tabs. Fun/Discretionary are generally above $1000 and are things like vacations, furniture replacements, garden redesigns, car replacements, etc.

I just track broad monthly spending and the fun/discretionary stuff. I do not do a detailed breakdown of the Basics category. Just once a month totaling of the charge cards, checking account, and cash. Keeping it simple (I think) and not obsessing (too much).
Old 06-03-2017, 08:11 AM   #14

Quote:
We have already stepped up our charitable giving, but who knows what the future may bring, so we don't want to make significant inroads to the savings so early in our retirement. Ask me again in 15-20 years. DW is convinced she won't live much past her mid-80s, based on family history. I could go well into the 90s.
So what then is your issue? Just bask in the knowledge you are very lucky indeed?
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It's hard to change a lifetime of LBYM even when Firecalc says you can spend much more than you are.

But so far this year we've needed to replace a water heater, purchase new furniture for the family room, and do a variety of small repairs around the house. I used to worry about that stuff but now I just don't any more. That's the nice part of having extra cushion.

I love chicken soup with kreplach, but an extra kreplach in my soup is NOT extravagant !!! You've got to come up with something else.
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:45 AM   #16

Quote:

And just last week, when we went out for my favorite Chicken soup with matzo ball and kreplach, ....
Had never heard of this dish. Just looked it up. Yummy addition to our winter cookbook.

(If you couldn't tell: lifelong denizen of flyover country )
Old 06-03-2017, 07:08 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
So what then is your issue? Just bask in the knowledge you are very lucky indeed?
Did I say I had an issue? Lots of us here share stories of how we're doing, not everyone is in trouble. Sometimes a success story is of interest.

As for "very lucky", I prefer to assign it to making good decisions and sticking to them. Yes, luck was partially involved in my career path, but I know many who had the same path that made different choices and are struggling. Indeed, several of my colleagues who were made the same buyout offer said they couldn't afford to accept it.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:43 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Re post #8, I do not mind spending more if there is an added benefit, but there is no difference in brown and white eggs.

Retired poultry scientist.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I find that brown eggs have a more yellow yolk. They just look better. Besides they are more expensive and we need to;

Blow More Dough
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I find that brown eggs have a more yellow yolk. They just look better. Besides they are more expensive and we need to;

Blow More Dough

[emoji23]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote