Join Early Retirement Today

Guess what
Old 09-19-2005, 12:25 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Guess what

Another darn hurricane appears to be headed to the gulf. "Rita" is her name and destruction is her game. Weather channel says it could be a cat 1 or 2 by time it enters the gulf. Better go fill up your tanks, oil already up $4 today.* This is getting old.*
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Guess what
Old 09-19-2005, 12:35 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

October natural gas futures are up almost 11% today Makes me glad I put off converting from heating oil...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah I've been watching it for the last few days.* Worst place to hit would be refinery/chemical coast here in Texas.* If refinery coast gets hit, coupled with the continued outage of many of the LA refineries, there will be gigantic shortages all across the country.* It will be like early 1974, where it was I'll pay any price for some gas, any gas.

On the people side, there just isn't any room in North, Central and East Texas to absorb a major Texas hurricane outflow of people from the Texas Gulf.* No room at the inn.* Full up everywhere.* About every apt. that couldn't be rented before is now occupied.* TX has absorbed all the people it can.* State and local goverments will be going into the deep red if the Feds don't come through with supplemental evacuee funding real soon.

We need Rita to take a liking to Fidel, and chase him and his cigars around the island*

Old 09-19-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Funny how when we had all those hurricanes in the past 5 years, we did not get this oil price increase in such a drastic manner. Could it be price gouging (sp) on behalf of investors? also the Oil company profits now are so huge you think they would do something to kurb prices. No, they love it.

SWR
Old 09-19-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider
Funny how when we had all those hurricanes in the past 5 years, we did not get this oil price increase in such a drastic manner. Could it be price gouging (sp) on behalf of investors? also the Oil company profits now are so huge you think they would do something to kurb prices. No, they love it.
Of course, the gap between supply and demand is much tighter now, which does have an effect.

If I were selling something, I would sell all the market could bear. When selling a house, I attempt to maximize my profit. I try to maximize my salary. If I had an oil well, I wouldn't be cutting prices.
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

SWR
Some very smart people who have been following oil& gas for more years than I have been working have explained at length the economics of the industry. In a nutshell:

- There is no more pumping capacity to get more crude out of the ground
- The entire infrastructure of getting oil to refineries is stretched (check out oil tanker rates)
- Nobody has built a new refinery in my lifetime
- The infrastructure to get the refined product to the end user/consumer is strained and torn up by Katrina
- Demand has grown tremendously while supply has not. Also, demand is VERY inelastic (i.e. people will pay anything for gas)

Add it all up and you get a very tenuous supply-demand balance that sees prices shoot up at the slightest supply constriction. Ain't gonna change unless demand slows, which will only happen if the global economy slows.

- George Orwell

Old 09-19-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
October natural gas futures are up almost 11% today* * Makes me glad I put off converting from heating oil...
I wish I had a wood or pellet stove
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Let's just hope we don't have shortages. Higher prices are painful, but I am not eager to be freezing in the dark simply because there is no fuel available.

- George Orwell

Old 09-19-2005, 02:50 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I stopped at the gas station on the way home from errands today and then called DH and told him to do the same.

And for the last three days we've been cutting, splitting and stacking firewood for next yr. The current year's stack is already in the woodshed. We always try to stay one year ahead of the game. (and we actually enjoy the work)
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 02:57 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz
I stopped at the gas station on the way home from errands today and then called DH and told him to do the same.

And for the last three days we've been cutting, splitting and stacking firewood for next yr.
T-Al, has the stuffed beaver started gathering nuts for the winter?

Old 09-19-2005, 03:04 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Went out at lunch today to start building my hurricane kit. Mostly worried about trees falling on my house.

I don't drive much -- I haven't bought gas in more than a month -- so I don't pay much attention to gas prices. I had to pay $2.26 a gallon today.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL!
I had to pay $2.26 a gallon today.
LOL,
Where are you from?

LL

LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:19 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
Better go fill up your tanks, oil already up $4 today.* This is getting old.*
Yeah, but it's great for my stock portfolio since I'm long in energy stocks and income trusts.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:19 PM   #14

Thinking fears were overblown, I didn't get gas when Katrina hit and that cost me about $0.80/gallon to wait a couple of days until my tank was empty.

If I wasn't near-full I'd fill up today.

I hope gas doesn't go crazy because I'm hoping to move in November. At least heating bills won't be as much an issue in Texas. (That's not why I'm moving.)
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:19 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I live near Houston, TX.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:27 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
I hope gas doesn't go crazy because I'm hoping to move in November. At least heating bills won't be as much an issue in Texas. (That's not why I'm moving.)
After all the warnings JG, Ol_Rancher and I have given you about living in TX and you're moving here?!

Old 09-19-2005, 05:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
After all the warnings JG, Ol_Rancher and I have given you about living in TX and you're moving here?! *

Not only that, but I just today got my first electric bill for the condo...........
25 days, mostly unoccupied - $130??
What the hell is that?

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:33 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

SWR
Please, Please, Please! I beg you! Do not, I repeat, do not, wish for price controls, excess profit taxes, or any of the other nonsense that wrecked the economy in the 1970's.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:43 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go
Please, Please, Please!* * I beg you!* * Do not, I repeat, do not, wish for price controls, excess profit taxes, or any of the other nonsense that wrecked the economy in the 1970's.*
There is no such thing as price gouging, obscene profit, excessive
compensation, hate speech, hate crimes, etc. These are all inventions of
leftist PC busybodies who don't have a life. It's all nonsense!

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:49 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
There is no such thing as price gouging, obscene profit, excessive
compensation, hate speech, hate crimes, etc. These are all inventions of
leftist PC busybodies who don't have a life. It's all nonsense!
While I find so-called hate speech to be disgusting, I find the "regulation" of it to be a violation of the right to free speech.

moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote