Join Early Retirement Today

Guessing at Medicare Costs in 2035
Old 05-27-2022, 05:57 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Guessing at Medicare Costs in 2035

I'm in the process of re-evaluating my own guess as to what amount I should budget for spending in 2035 for Medicare when I and my spouse turn 65.

A recent T Rowe price article suggests that a 90th percentile cost for Medicare parts A,B, and D as well as Medigap and out of pocket expenses is currently $11,500 per individual. So that's $23k per couple.

Now if I run that number out for 13 years with let's say 5% inflation (healthcare inflation that is) then looks like we'll be paying $41,500 annually.

Am I even remotely close as to how this would be estimated?

MercyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2022, 06:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercyMe View Post
I'm in the process of re-evaluating my own guess as to what amount I should budget for spending in 2035 for Medicare when I and my spouse turn 65.

A recent T Rowe price article suggests that a 90th percentile cost for Medicare parts A,B, and D as well as Medigap and out of pocket expenses is currently $11,500 per individual. So that's $23k per couple.

Now if I run that number out for 13 years with let's say 5% inflation (healthcare inflation that is) then looks like we'll be paying $41,500 annually.

TRowe is full of you know what with that number. MY DH and I have top of the line coverage including all the things you mention and pay less then the 11500 for both of us. It's a moving target except for the part B and D and what you choose for Medigap.BTW part A is free with Medicare.

Sorry I know that probably doesn't help you much..for a placeholder number that far in the future I don't know what number you should use.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 07:07 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

why not determine the avg annual % increase in Part B premiums for the past X-years, add an inflation factor and apply that going forward? as for us... we have trad. medicare wirh a BC/BS supplement and a BC/BS Part D drug plan (silver). in 2021 we spent just under $11k for all of that. i pay for my dental out-of-pocket, wife has insurance through her retirememt system. total dental last year was $340.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 08:08 PM   #4

I pay around $500 a month for Medicare parts B and D now, for myself only.
Let's assume it goes up 10% per year.
So 13 years from now, I'll be paying $1730 per month, ruffly.

Does that seem about right?
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Heh, heh, being 75 does have its advantages. I don't worry a lot about 2035 though my "plan" does extend to 2046. But seriously, I don't think we can project much about MC in 2035. That's at least 6 election cycles away. Depending on how many of us senior voters are still around, it's likely things will change a lot - especially around the health care system in general and MC specifically - but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:20 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

As the Part A fund will be exhuasted in ~4yr and the Social Security Trust Fund will be exhausted in ~11yr, it is very likely that there may be a lot of changes coming to both programs. This makes it difficult to predict costs in 2035.
"... the astrologer who lived in a tumbled old tower up the valley, and put in his nights studying the stars. Every one knew he could foretell wars and famines, though that was not so hard, for there was always a war and generally a famine somewhere."
-- Mark Twain, The Mysterious Stranger
Turbo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:55 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

It's really anyone's guess.

It depends on two things: (a) how much Medicare premiums increase for medical costs, and (b) your Medicare MAGI in 2033, because that is what will impact your IRMAA for 2035 and thus impact your overall Medicare premiums for Parts B and D. Oh, and (c) whether or not you get a Medigap, and (d) whether or not you're on traditional Medicare or choose Medicare Advantage.

For (a), my spreadsheet assumes a 7.7% increase. I think that's because that is the 2021 to 2022 increase. I think historically that was on the high end, because of the new Alzheimer's drug that might have been approved and used by a lot of Medicare folks. I read an article the other day saying that Medicare premiums for 2023 might even decrease because the Alzheimer's drug isn't going to be a thing for whatever reason.

For (b), I can guess sort of well on my 2023 Medicare MAGI, but that in turn depends on my RMD plans, ACA, a possible inheritance and other things. Based on my current plan, I'll be in the IRMAA base tier that year. But based on your situation and plans, it could be different for you.

As part of (b), if you think you'll be subject to IRMAA, you also have to predict what the IRMAA bracket inflation rates will be over that period. I just use a CPI guess of 3%.

I don't plan on a Medigap plan personally, and I'm not sure about Medicare Advantage but right now I think not.

The end result of all that is a guess of $5,314 a year for me for B and D in 2035.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:08 PM   #8

I hadn't paid attention to the cost of Medicare A+B plus all the additions until recently. I feel bad for anyone trying to live on Social Security. I always thought Medicare was cheap.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:04 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I hadn't paid attention to the cost of Medicare A+B plus all the additions until recently. I feel bad for anyone trying to live on Social Security. I always thought Medicare was cheap.
DW has another year to go before Medicare. She currently pays about $14,000 a year with a $3,000 (I think) deductible.

My Medicare B, D and supplement costs me about $2800 a year total, so, yeah, I'd say Medicare is cheap, and in many ways, better than what DW is paying big money for.

As far as the OP, a lot can happen, change and evolve over the next 13 years; any projections are pure speculation IMO. In our fast changing world today, 13 years may as well be 50 years from now for all we can predict.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:19 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm 56 and retired 5 years. I pay $0 for health insurance thru ACA. I will have to get rich by 65 I guess.
Digger1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:21 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Pretty sure mine will be zero by 2035... Hopefully, YMMV.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger1000 View Post
I'm 56 and retired 5 years. I pay $0 for health insurance thru ACA. I will have to get rich by 65 I guess.
How is it 0? Just curious.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 01:27 PM   #13

According to TMF:
Part B monthly premiums have risen by an average of 7.7% per year since 1966 but there are a number of considerations, not least of which is IRMAA.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:40 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercyMe View Post

The two of us pay $19,891.68 for Parts A, B, Plan N supplements and Part D Aetna plans (I have a $70/mo no deductible plane) and are in the top IRMAA tier this year because of large Roth conversions during the March 2020 market slump.

Other than paying for a higher cost Plan G, we pretty much pay as much as anyone can in my zip code. T Rowe Price is out to lunch!!!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:30 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
How is it 0? Just curious.
My income is low enough. Where I live an income of 30k gets you a $0 premium. Some areas of the country your income can be even higher for $0 premium.

https://www.healthcare.gov/see-plans/#/

p.s. I have everything I want or need for way less than 30k a year.
Old 05-31-2022, 06:31 PM   #16

Quote:
My income is low enough. Where I live an income of 30k gets you a $0 premium. Some areas of the country your income can be even higher for $0 premium.

More power to you for living on $30K a year. I wish I could do that.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:19 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Heh, heh, that's just about my Paradise Premium. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:17 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
More power to you for living on $30K a year. I wish I could do that.
I've been living on less than 14k a year for 3 of the 5 years I've been retired. I have never hit 17k. I am living the same way I always lived pre retirement. Will probably go up to 20k with inflation lol. The 2 years that were over 14k were because I moved one year and had hernia surgery another year. I traveled 365 miles to have the hernia surgery since I have a 8k deductible/max out of pocket and the total for everything including motel and $60 in tolls came to $2400. My total spending that year was under 16k.

It helps to keep spending down since I pay $0 state and federal income tax. Well this year I had to pay for the 1st time to federal, $21.00 since a little of my dividends were not qualified. But I figured out how to not have to pay that $21, I will just covert $500 less a year to a Roth. I've been converting over 14k a year since I retired, and still paid no tax.

I do not own my own home. I rent in a big city. And I am not a cord cutter.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:10 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I've been living on less than 14k a year for 3 of the 5 years I've been retired. I have never hit 17k. I am living the same way I always lived pre retirement. Will probably go up to 20k with inflation lol. The 2 years that were over 14k were because I moved one year and had hernia surgery another year. I traveled 365 miles to have the hernia surgery since I have a 8k deductible/max out of pocket and the total for everything including motel and $60 in tolls came to $2400. My total spending that year was under 16k.
It helps to keep spending down since I pay $0 state and federal income tax. Well this year I had to pay for the 1st time to federal, $21.00 since a little of my dividends were not qualified. But I figured out how to not have to pay that $21, I will just covert $500 less a year to a Roth. I've been converting over 14k a year since I retired, and still paid no tax.

I do not own my own home. I rent in a big city. And I am not a cord cutter.
Wow, Inquiring minds want to know (okay nosy know-it-alls want to know) how you do it. Anything you'd care to share about your spending would be, well, interesting.

Old 06-01-2022, 09:22 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Wow, Inquiring minds want to know (okay nosy know-it-alls want to know) how you do it. Anything you'd care to share about your spending would be, well, interesting.
Not the person you asked, but I'm at a bit under $16K all in for the past six months actual excluding my kids' college expenses (paid from a separate college fund), which would be a run rate of about $32K.

And that's with "fluff" in my budget. It looks like my annual bare bones nothing but the bare necessities budget would be about $24K.

And that all is with my eldest son living with me during that entire time, and my other two kids living with me the past month or so.

Paid off house in suburban Boise and a paid off old car. Electricity is a lot cheaper here than leeward Oahu also.

Happy to answer specific questions if anyone is interested.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote