Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've never understood the desire to have family or friends stay overnight in our house. I wouldn't dream of staying with family if I was visiting. It's awkward, uncomfortable, and there's no privacy. I would always get a hotel room.

Besides, a hotel room is cheaper than it costs to build that extra room, heat it, clean it, etc. for the rare times someone stays overnight.

That said, even though we haven't had a guest in years, my wife wanted to be able to host someone if they visited. So I built her a desk/crafting table that can double as a guest bed if the need arises. June 13, 2020 - Building a Craft Table/Guest Bed

So far, only my daughter used it once when her car broke down. My wife insisted she stay overnight instead of driving her the 10-15 minutes to her own apartment.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2021, 09:00 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
That said, even though we haven't had a guest in years, my wife wanted to be able to host someone if they visited. So I built her a desk/crafting table that can double as a guest bed if the need arises. June 13, 2020 - Building a Craft Table/Guest Bed
Good stuff there, Softy!
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:04 AM   #23

mountainsoft--that video was great and the table/bed looks fantastic.

We have a two other bedrooms--one is now a kids toy and play room, the other one is for grandkids bedroom /guest room. The only guests we have now are our kids/grandkids.
Adult friends who come from out of town stay in hotels.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:22 AM   #24

Wow. We hosted family and guests quite often before Covid and things have picked up again for us starting in late Spring. We are hosting some friends from FL now as I type. We have 4 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms and figure it out. We love having friends and family stay with us and our guests seem to enjoy visiting.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
In my "perfect world", we'd have a reasonably sized home on the water with a boat that sleeps a couple or 2, an RV that sleeps a couple or two, and a pool house that sleeps a couple or 2.

Those alone would give us flexible accommodations for 3 to 6 couples, and I'm sure we'd have one or two guest rooms in the main house.

The boat & the RV would be fun toys for adventures & they'd also be fun housing for guests. It would inspire our guests to travel, with us perhaps, and would always keep past & future travels as topics to chat about.

Guests seem more comfortable with a separate space to retreat to, and hosts also seem to enjoy it. I think it would be a nice way to host folks, giving everyone the opportunity to interact in a more comfortable pace and setting. The variety of settings would make for a more relaxing visit, without the stress that can occur when folks feel confined to being under a single roof. Longer visits would be encouraged because guests & hosts alike would feel more relaxed and comfortable.

It looks like I've made a list of my wants in a home. I wish hunting for it, and selling off the ones we currently own wasn't such a chore. I wasn't really looking for more chores...

I love these extra bedrooms!
tb001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:14 AM   #26

We enjoy having relatives and friends stay over in our lakeside home. One of the most commented on items we provide is a little bedside card with our wifi password.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
We enjoy having relatives and friends stay over in our lakeside home. One of the most commented on items we provide is a little bedside card with our wifi password.

Great idea!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:00 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRDave View Post
Wow. We hosted family and guests quite often before Covid and things have picked up again for us starting in late Spring. We are hosting some friends from FL now as I type. We have 4 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms and figure it out. We love having friends and family stay with us and our guests seem to enjoy visiting.

Same for us. When we lived in our beachfront condo, we had a small third bedroom that was just big enough for a queen inflatable bed. Family members came and stayed, but friends generally didnít as most friends live nearby enough to drive home.

We moved out to the desert and now have a guest suite with a king sized bed and a nice bathroom. Pre-COVID, we had frequent guests and we have several visits planned already for June and July despite the desert heat. We feel we get better quality time with friends who now visit for 2-3 days, vs the occasional dinner out that we shared with friends before.

One key to enjoyable visits for us is guests with their own transportation who are happy to do their own thing part of the time. Takes the pressure off us for constant entertainment of our guests and gives us and our guests some alone time during visits. Luckily we live in a resort environment with plenty of options for guest activities.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:02 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRon View Post
I noticed another thread on saving money veered off a bit into having room for guests in your home and thought it deserved some discussion. What accommodations do you supply for visiting guests?

We built a small 4 bedroom house, but have dedicated the 3 bedrooms other than the master for other personal uses of ours so we donít have a guest room. We donít have overnight visitors very often - the last being about 3 years ago. We decided in the future we would put them up in a nearby hotel if needed.
I now live in a 3100 square foot house with three bedrooms and a den useable as a fourth bedroom, and I am all by myself.

I am contemplating downsizing, so for myself I only need one bedroom/one bath. But I would like to be able to put up an occasional guest, be it a kid or a grandkid or a friend. So, I will likely end up with a 3bd/2bth house, probably in the 1400 to 1800 square foot range. Enough smaller than where I am now to be more efficient economically (property tax, upkeep, heat bills), but still big enough to not feel cramped to me---I am used to the large spaces of my current "dream home".
Old 06-12-2021, 05:43 AM   #30
Administrator

We have a master bedroom and one large guest room. We have two other small bedrooms that have now been turned into a sewing room and a walk-in closet, respectively. I enjoy having family and friends stay here when they come to visit.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:19 PM   #31

Grew up in a large home with detached (well behind the home) two-story, 3-car garage.

For some extra cash my parents converted the upstairs into a 1-bedroom apartment & rented to local medical school students.

Years later I visited the home for a charity event & got to talking to the dad.

He had updated the apartment & made relatives stay out there when they came to visit...my hero.

Said people still called (decades later after mom sold it) wanting to rent the apartment.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:36 AM   #32

Wow, some of you have quite the guest accommodations. I was always concerned about making the guests feel too comfortable and they would not want to leave . Perhaps that is why we rarely get overnight guests these days .

When we had a house full of the kids, the accommodations were a fold-out couch in the living or family rooms, a daybed in the finished basement (It is in the "man cave" area so at least lots of entertainment options), air mattresses, or sleeping bags (tents at times when the younger guests wanted to camp out in the backyard). With an empty nest, the largest bedroom (about 15 x 20) that has the least amount of DW's clutter hobbies is available. Common bathroom on the 2nd floor (at least it is large and has 2 sinks).

That is it, nothing fancy. When I am the guest, I preferred staying in a nearby hotel (Blow That Dough!). Some of DW's relatives took this as an insult, but I always preferred having an option to distance ourselves from the family drama du jour .
Old 06-13-2021, 07:50 AM   #33

We have a guest room with a bath that's where I sleep.

The wife watches completely different television shows (than me), and we keep completely opposite hours. With her recent surgery(s), she's up on and off all night. It's nothing personal.

If we have guests, we'll put them into the grandson's room as he's just here every other weekend.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 08:08 AM   #34

When we moved full time to Az we anticipated visitors from the North on a frequent basis so when we were doing our remodel we added a 1000 sq ft Casita/Guest Wing with living room, kitchenette, master bedroom and bath. Sleeps five comfortably with a couple of blow up beds.

Unit has a separate entrance so guests can come and go as they wish without tromping through the main house. Really has been a great decision for us.

Also have a guest bedroom in the main house with ensuite bath and an office that can be used as another bedroom if necessary. Any more than that and there's a Hilton down the road!
Old 06-13-2021, 09:12 AM   #35

Quote:
I've never understood the desire to have family or friends stay overnight in our house. I wouldn't dream of staying with family if I was visiting. It's awkward, uncomfortable, and there's no privacy. I would always get a hotel room.

Besides, a hotel room is cheaper than it costs to build that extra room, heat it, clean it, etc. for the rare times someone stays overnight.
+1

This is basically how I feel about having guests stay over for more than one night. I've never liked having roommates and made a conscious decision to live alone (first in apartments, then in a house) for the vast majority of my adult life.

Having said that, I do have a dedicated guest room here in my house. And I'm sure my fiancť will insist on having at least one or possibly two guest rooms/suites in any future house we purchase down the road. She is the kind of person who firmly believes that friends/family should stay with us while they are in town visiting... as long as it's not for too long.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #36

We have a small 3 bedroom house and don't have a spare bedroom. We use one as a man cave and one as a walk in closet.
Personally I prefer staying in bedrooms as opposed to at friends or family's homes. I can relax better in my own room than at someone's house plus I can sit around in my underwear or less, if I feel like it. Just feel too on guard at someone else's house.
garyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyt View Post
We have a small 3 bedroom house and don't have a spare bedroom. We use one as a man cave and one as a walk in closet.
Personally I prefer staying in bedrooms as opposed to at friends or family's homes. I can relax better in my own room than at someone's house plus I can sit around in my underwear or less, if I feel like it. Just feel too on guard at someone else's house.
Exactly. There are some subtle power dynamics involved although I can't seem to intelligently articulate what they are. Anyway we really don't prefer to stay in someone's guest bedroom if there is an option to stay in a hotel or motel instead.

My former home had 3 bedrooms. One was my bedroom and one was my home office. The third bedroom was a guest bedroom which was used only once or twice in 13 years.

My present ("Dream") home has only 2 bedrooms, so I have my bedroom and my home office, and never set up a guest bedroom after moving here. Have not missed it a bit.

My daughter and SIL were happier staying in the Marriott instead of in a guest bedroom, and they have been my only out-of-town visitors so far. In their case, they wanted to walk through the French Quarter, see the sights, eat some New Orleans style food of their choice, and hear some local music later in the evening. They were able to do that while based at the Marriott, instead of going to bed early as would have been the case here at my house.
Old 06-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #38

I am to the point where the only person I want to host is my step-son. We have always kept and bedroom for him since he was a kid. And he has his own bathroom to use.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:44 AM   #39

Quote:

So far, only my daughter used it once when her car broke down. My wife insisted she stay overnight instead of driving her the 10-15 minutes to her own apartment.
I used to watch House Hunters International, and heard all these people saying they needed an extra bedroom for guests. The need for the extra room drove up the cost of housing, and I said the guests could stay in a hotel for much less.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 04:42 PM   #40
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a beautiful guest bedroom and I love it. I enjoy having guests, both friends and family. I just completed a mini-makeover on my guest room and itís even nicer. I installed an updated ceiling fan with an LED light on a dimmer. Got a new lamp. Rearranged some wall art. And hung a TV and hooked it up to cable and antenna.
TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote