Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-12-2018, 02:20 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I always figured that is what money is for.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I know this will sound stupid but does anyone else feel guilty about buying themselves nice things ?
Not at all! At least not usually. I wish I had more ideas of nice things that I might actually want.

I did buy this house, but do I feel guilty about buying it? Nope, I'm not, just in 7th heaven every day that I live here.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:46 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I looked around the other day and realized I was the only person on the train using an Ipod. And it was loaded with Freegal music from the library. I do have a smart phone but it is a cheap one without a lot of memory so I keep the Ipods for music and audio books.

I don't feel bad about spending money on things we enjoy, but even then I usually shop for bargains. The bargain part is half the fun for me. .....
So funny, I just reloaded my MP3 player because I was too cheap to buy an Ipod, and the music was also from freegal , because I'm too cheap to buy/re-buy music I already bought in a different format (33's, etc).

I am thinking of upgrading to a large capacity, but tiny mp3 player, if I can stand the guilt
Old 03-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Nope
Old 03-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I wouldn't say I feel "guilty", but I always have that internal conversation with myself about "Do you really need it?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
I don't feel guilty, but I don't buy a lot either. If I see something I want, I would get it.
That's pretty much how I see it as well, although I balk at the price of some things because less costly alternatives are readily available. Flannel shirts, for example. I need/should buy some because the most recent ones are ~5 years old and the cuffs and collars are starting to fray. DW will soon tell me I have to buy some new ones when she notices that and thinks I'm embarrassing. But while I dislike cheap flannel shirts there is no way I'm going to pay $50 for a shirt online to assure I'll get good quality so eventually I'll have to go to the B&M store. It'll be as long as I can put it off though because I hate shopping.

But over the last 30 years I've spent thousands on R/C airplane stuff and that didn't bother me a bit.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
I don't think so, it is on Verizon but when I'm home I have it set up to use wifi for surfing the net.
I just brought it up because that might motivate you to get a newer phone, but if you have excellent cellphone reception where you live it probably doesn't matter.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:01 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe in delayed gratification, and at age 71, have delayed loooong enough.
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

I just got the quote for the kitchen redo with quartz counters and a built in sink with the same quartz as the back splash going all the way to the cabinets.

Thirty two grand!

Blow That Dough -
Old 03-12-2018, 07:47 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

At that price, it'd better be complete with all new appliances and cabinets.

Maybe even a new floor? Lighting?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

New cabinets with solid wood dovetailed drawers all the way back to the wall on long heavy duty ball bearing self retracting sliders, lazy Susan corner swing out, plumbing and all that lovely beautiful quartz!

No new appliances.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Robbie

If you’ gonna do all the rest- - at least BLOW THAT DOUGH on some new appliances...another 10k will hardly be missed
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:03 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

==. spent some on an outbuilding... poured foundation, electrical, heating....
== also got a new truck last year (250 4x4 crew cab, long bed)....

we’ve already been to all 50 and to quite a few other countries {liked Aruba and Hawaii much more than Monaco / like Paris more than London, but Barcelona is very nice too, as is Dublin / didn’t really care for Rome or Istanbul ... Athens was better... } so we haven’t totally deprived ourselves... but now that we have the time we still have a few places to visit ( Oz and New Zealand, Galapagos and Machu Picchu, ...) we’ll spend the money on those trips and revisit some sites we liked

not to even mention the views we have on our back deck... the tourists will be here soon enough to enjoy them also

regret....nope

(still haven’t gotten even above 2% WR in retirement ; haven’t started SS yet ... so will have even more then)
FI_RElater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:16 AM   #53

Quote:
Yes, I feel guilty. And then I get over it.
I'm kind of here. RE one year this month. I still feel the urge to not spend, but I'm getting over it. We only need a 1.5% WR, so we have plenty of room to spend.

You might look at the threads on "Blow that Dough!"
Old 03-13-2018, 05:02 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

+1 Not spending on myself is how I got here. And, I realize that spending freely retirement is a process.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #55

Gradually breaking the shackles. We can afford to travel business class (especially since DW resumed work full time with a job she loves) but have limited ourselves to long haul only and I recently purchased a 400 year old map.

Still hesitant about it but the big test will come in October when I plan to buy a car for the first time ... the financially sensible option is no car (not needed where we live), the next option is a cheap small car but I'm currently drooling over a BWM 4 series convertible (or Audi A5/Mercedes C200). We can afford it and would enjoy it but it's a lot of money for something that's a "want" rather than a "need."
Old 03-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #56

Everything in moderation. I would not have retired if I couldn't feel good about buying a few nice things. Conversely, I could not have retired if I bought every nice thing I wanted. I feel pretty good about the balance we've struck.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Yes I feel guilty and I have bought things (vehicles) I wish I hadn't. LOL I never over buy and always try to get the best/sale price I can if I absolutely need the item. LOL

In life I rarely bought myself much of anything that I didn't need but wanted.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Still hesitant about it but the big test will come in October when I plan to buy a car for the first time ... the financially sensible option is no car (not needed where we live), the next option is a cheap small car but I'm currently drooling over a BWM 4 series convertible (or Audi A5/Mercedes C200). We can afford it and would enjoy it but it's a lot of money for something that's a "want" rather than a "need."
When I look at getting that dream car - now I realize that it may be my last chance to get something like that and really enjoy driving it for many years. At some point you are too old to really enjoy it.

But we’ll probably settle for an Acura or Lexus.

We’ve had the funds to buy a nice new car for years now, and poor DH keeps updating his research. But we can’t quite get to the pull trigger stage mostly because there are so many other things keeping us really busy.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

For us, the deterrent from buying a luxury auto is similar to the deterrent from buying a luxury home. While we might be able to swing the purchase price, the "Everything that goes along with the purchase" costs are just too high, and don't carry value for us.

Car: Insurance, maintenance, repairs - much higher for a luxury make.

Home: All of the above, plus you almost always have to join a clubhouse (which interests us not in the least), contribute fees toward Other People's golf and tennis, etc. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traineeinvestor View Post
Gradually breaking the shackles. We can afford to travel business class (especially since DW resumed work full time with a job she loves) but have limited ourselves to long haul only and I recently purchased a 400 year old map.

Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:28 AM   #60

I wouldn't say I feel guilty about it, I just don't do it much for myself.

I find it incredibly easy to spend money on DW and I often pick up the tab when out with a group of friends (fortunately, they have the same habit so it more or less evens out).

I have loosened the purse strings when it comes to vacations. DW wants to spend about 10K on the house this year too. I kind of gulped when she outlined all the things she wants to do... then smiled and said the best words in the dictionary.

Yes, dear.