Guilt about spending money on yourself !

... I want (but don't quite need one) a new phone and am feeling guilty about buying a new $700 iPhone. Stupid and no good reason but just doesn't seem right.

I know first world problems ! :facepalm:

I would ask myself if the new phone has some features that I could not do without. Most of the time, it is not. It's "nice" and is incrementally better, but not essential. So, I do not even want it, let alone having to feel guilty about anything.

My sister-in-law has no qualm about upgrading every time a new phone comes out. It's of course better, and that's all she has to know.

To make my story even more ridiculous my son and DIL got me an iPhone 5S about three years ago and put me on their company plan, they own a small business. So I haven't paid squat for the phone or phone service. Just seems outrageous to pay that much for a phone. My 5S is acting up but I'm going to milk it as long as I can. Yes, I know I'm a cheap unreasonable bastard. Even with a new phone I'm still on their plan and will pay nothing for service.

Sometimes. When I remember how often DW and I scrimped and denied ourselves and now that I can afford it she's no longer here to enjoy it. Still haven't visited a few places we didn't get around to when she was healthy because I know I won't be able to enjoy them.

To make my story even more ridiculous my son and DIL got me an iPhone 5S about three years ago and put me on their company plan, they own a small business. So I haven't paid squat for the phone or phone service. Just seems outrageous to pay that much for a phone. My 5S is acting up but I'm going to milk it as long as I can. Yes, I know I'm a cheap unreasonable bastard. Even with a new phone I'm still on their plan and will pay nothing for service.

Do you get WiFi calling with your iPhone 5S?

I don’t feel bad because I know I could spend way more! :D

As long as we are spending less than our retirement income each year, I don’t feel bad.

We give pretty generously to immediate family members and have buildup quite a stash in our DAF that we give from every year.

Our spending very much aligns with our personal priorities. We still shop for deals when we need something. When something is not a priority we spend little. We have no trouble splurging on travel though and readily spend on upgrades that increase our convenience and comfort.

Last edited:
About not throwing things away, we do not upgrade just to have the latest stuff. Hence our toys are outdated.

I looked around the other day and realized I was the only person on the train using an Ipod. And it was loaded with Freegal music from the library. I do have a smart phone but it is a cheap one without a lot of memory so I keep the Ipods for music and audio books.

I don't feel bad about spending money on things we enjoy, but even then I usually shop for bargains. The bargain part is half the fun for me. We could spend more but DH wants to max out our years qualifying for ACA, so we intentionally limit our MAGI for now. In a way this has been pretty enlightening, as we are spending less than we used to and less than otherwise could if we weren't concerned about the ACA limits, but we haven't been any less happy so we will probably not increase our spending much even when we are on Medicare.

Last edited:
RobbieB - would you like to share your thoughts? :cool:

Of course.

I feel guilty when I'm not buying nice stuff and having big fun. I feel guilty for not blowing more dough before my wife died so she could enjoy more fruits of her labor.

I'm not going to make that mistake again.

I don't feel guilty, but I don't buy a lot either. If I see something I want, I would get it. Selling on eBay has made me realize how much stuff I still have and how much the value goes down once purchased.

Of course.

I feel guilty when I'm not buying nice stuff and having big fun. I feel guilty for not blowing more dough before my wife died so she could enjoy more fruits of her labor.

I'm not going to make that mistake again.

It's really about doing what makes yourself comfortable.

If I were to die soon, I would not regret not having bought or enjoyed something. I don't care for fancy cars, so the thought of missing out on the ownership of a Ferrari would be the last thing I regret on my deathbed. Any material thing would not cross my mind.

Even for travel which both of us still like to do, I have traveled enough that I would not feel deprived.

I might regret being mean to somebody in my family, my wife, my kids, or not sharing things with them. Those are the things I have been trying to avoid. So, I have been sharing plenty.

Last edited:
Me too.

Never had kids so I helped support my girlfriend's son get through MIT when his dad decided that he had paid enough and was done paying. It's nice to be able to help people that need it.

Her Daughter will be going off to school this year and I'm sure I'll be helping with her too.

When I buy that brand new Lincoln, not a speck of guilt will be felt, more like a reward and just bask in the smooth & quiet as I motor on over to Reno to blow some more dough - :)

All right! If giving your money to the mob makes you happy, then that's what you should do. ;)

I do not care for fancy cars, but spending on travel is something I do not regret. The only thing that worries me is that this desire seems to be fading. If that happens, it will be sad as I do not have many things left that I desire, to spend money on myself.

Last edited:
Me neither especially since I fly first class now.

Before I had to travel (job) in the cheap seats, now when I want to travel it's up front!

I always figured that is what money is for.

I know this will sound stupid but does anyone else feel guilty about buying themselves nice things ?

Not at all! At least not usually. I wish I had more ideas of nice things that I might actually want.

I did buy this house, but do I feel guilty about buying it? :D Nope, I'm not, just in 7th heaven every day that I live here. :dance:

I looked around the other day and realized I was the only person on the train using an Ipod. And it was loaded with Freegal music from the library. I do have a smart phone but it is a cheap one without a lot of memory so I keep the Ipods for music and audio books.

I don't feel bad about spending money on things we enjoy, but even then I usually shop for bargains. The bargain part is half the fun for me. .....

So funny, I just reloaded my MP3 player because I was too cheap to buy an Ipod, and the music was also from freegal :LOL: , because I'm too cheap to buy/re-buy music I already bought in a different format (33's, etc).

I am thinking of upgrading to a large capacity, but tiny mp3 player, if I can stand the guilt :angel:

I wouldn't say I feel "guilty", but I always have that internal conversation with myself about "Do you really need it?"

I don't feel guilty, but I don't buy a lot either. If I see something I want, I would get it.

That's pretty much how I see it as well, although I balk at the price of some things because less costly alternatives are readily available. Flannel shirts, for example. I need/should buy some because the most recent ones are ~5 years old and the cuffs and collars are starting to fray. DW will soon tell me I have to buy some new ones when she notices that and thinks I'm embarrassing. But while I dislike cheap flannel shirts there is no way I'm going to pay $50 for a shirt online to assure I'll get good quality so eventually I'll have to go to the B&M store. It'll be as long as I can put it off though because I hate shopping.

But over the last 30 years I've spent thousands on R/C airplane stuff and that didn't bother me a bit.

I don't think so, it is on Verizon but when I'm home I have it set up to use wifi for surfing the net.
I just brought it up because that might motivate you to get a newer phone, but if you have excellent cellphone reception where you live it probably doesn't matter.

I just got the quote for the kitchen redo with quartz counters and a built in sink with the same quartz as the back splash going all the way to the cabinets.

Thirty two grand!

Blow That Dough - :)

At that price, it'd better be complete with all new appliances and cabinets.

Maybe even a new floor? Lighting?

New cabinets with solid wood dovetailed drawers all the way back to the wall on long heavy duty ball bearing self retracting sliders, lazy Susan corner swing out, plumbing and all that lovely beautiful quartz!

No new appliances.

Back
Top Bottom