Join Early Retirement Today

H&R Block Tax software
Old 09-14-2021, 12:09 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

H&R Block Tax software

I've used H&R Block for years (hometown allegiance) and this year is the first problem I've encountered. When I attempted to electronic file, I was unable to because my 2019 AGI didn't match IRS records. When I followed the steps to reconcile with the IRS I got caught in an endless loop of bureaucratic 'page not found' and assorted bad links. I'm blaming it on Covid, as calling the IRS also proved impossible.

I mailed my return and it took four months for my refund to be snail mailed. Sort of defeats the purpose of buying tax software and doing an E-File.

Anyone else have problems like this with other software. or is it just Blocks? Just SO looking forward to tax season, so I thought I'd get a jump on gathering info.

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I tried H&R Block one year. Never again. I got two letters from the IRS because of it, for different problems, and each required filing an amended return. Back to Turbo Tax for me. I know a couple people have had problems with TT and won't use it either so I guess it's like a lot of products: if you don't hit any problems it's a great product, but if you do, it's trash.

My experience is documented at https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2064377
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:45 PM   #3

I've used H&R Block TaxCut software for filing my taxes for years and have never had a problem filing electronically as you described. Did the IRS adjust your prior year return which changed your AGI vs. what you inputted for e-filing your 2020 tax return?

In fact, this year, I filed an extension and then filed my taxes in early August. I have all returns (Federal and 2 states) accepted within 2 days and my Fed and 1 state refunds direct deposited in my account within 2 weeks.
Luvtoride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 12:49 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
... When I attempted to electronic file, I was unable to because my 2019 AGI didn't match IRS records. ...
I had the same problem and verified my 2019 AGI by checking my return. Did the software fill out its electronic form wrong or is the problem on the IRS end? I dunno but I certainly wouldn't jump to blaming the software. I just mailed the return and forgot about it as I was applying my overpayment to 2021 taxes anyway.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:13 PM   #5

I've also used Block for years and haven't had a problem e-filing right through the tax year 2020. But I filed months ago so possibly a problem with updated software or with IRS. A friend is battling the IRS over a payment that was made and came out of his bank account but a mistake was made for which year to apply it to and now IRS claims no record of receiving it although their records still show the year it was applied to.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 01:19 PM   #6

Quote:
I mailed my return and it took four months for my refund to be snail mailed. Sort of defeats the purpose of buying tax software and doing an E-File.

Anyone else have problems like this with other software. or is it just Blocks? Just SO looking forward to tax season, so I thought I'd get a jump on gathering info.
Delays in getting IRS tax refunds were the norm this year. I mailed in a paper return by snail mail, but return was set up for direct deposit to my account. Took about five months to get my tax refund deposited.

IRS was repeatedly reported as being way behind on processing returns. At one point they were sitting on 35 million untouched tax returns. It was even taking two three or four months before filers could even see acknowledgment that IRS was reporting at their online status check---"Return being processed".

All this was independent of which tax software, if any, filer had used.

So, I would not blame HR Block for that. I have used HR Block tax software for over fifteen years. Always works for me. But I always print out and mail paper return, do not do electronic efile due to return complexity.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:38 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I tried H&R Block one year. Never again. I got two letters from the IRS because of it, for different problems, and each required filing an amended return. Back to Turbo Tax for me. I know a couple people have had problems with TT and won't use it either so I guess it's like a lot of products: if you don't hit any problems it's a great product, but if you do, it's trash.

My experience is documented at https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2064377
Pretty much the opposite experience for me. I'm going back to Block and will never try TT again. I guess it just depends on the hand you draw. I ended up resolving my TT issue by using the Block support program.

I seem to recall the "last year's AGI" challenge question is associated with logging into an online account. I think I usually efile without having to provide that info. Some problems I encountered with TT is that the various versions have very different procedures and work-arounds. That could be true for Block also but I never had any issues to work around.

OP, were you using download or online Block program?

It's been over 4 months since I filed our paper return and IRS says they haven't logged it in yet!
Old 09-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post

OP, were you using download or online Block program?

It's been over 4 months since I filed our paper return and IRS says they haven't logged it in yet!
Download.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #9
Administrator

I have used the HR Block software (or its predecessor) since the 1990s. My financial life is simple by design and I usually already know what my taxes will be before I even open the software. What the program does for me is make sure I have not forgotten anything and make sure I don't make math errors. But I don't just take their black box output as gospel truth; if their number doesn't match what I already have calculated, I search until I find the reason it doesn't . Over the years, I have discovered errors in the HR Block program twice - in the program first released in November, which is when I buy it and run my first cut of a tax return. Both times, I contacted them and told them about the problem, which was fixed in the next update.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:56 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I've used H&R without any big issue for years, ever since TT wanted to charge extra for needed forms.

I did find one error in their software this year, but it didn't stop me, I just claimed an extra $2 income and it was solved.

Since the program autofills the previous year AGI, I wonder if OP double checked the AGI was the correct amount.

In the past I have played with the software after filing, and had uncertainty of which file was the accurate/real one. I have since become more careful

I print to pdf, my filed returns, so I have a record of what was actually sent.
Old 09-15-2021, 08:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

Since the program autofills the previous year AGI, I wonder if OP double checked the AGI was the correct amount.
Yes, I did. I even tried typing it in while standing on my head. Nothing worked. And the real issue was there was no way to contact the IRS to rectify the situation. If they did change my AGI, I never received any documentation to that effect. So, it's a mystery. We'll see what happens this year. I'll stick with them.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:31 AM   #12

H&R Block is cheaper especially if you need forms which used to be standard in the lower end TurboTax products but now are only found in the more expensive TurboTax versions.

I've used H&R Block's Tax Cut since 2015 to prepare my kid's returns.

My taxes are still complex enough to require an accountant because of some alternative investments I foolishly bought years ago.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:57 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

I prefer H&R Block over Turbotax
qwerty3656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:44 PM   #14

I used H&R Block's download software earlier this year. When do they typically make the software available for the next tax year (i.e. 2021)?
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 11:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
I used H&R Block's download software earlier this year. When do they typically make the software available for the next tax year (i.e. 2021)?
I believe sometime around mid December is the earliest I have seen it for coming tax year. But even then, one usually has to wait to maybe late January/early February for updates to incorporate latest IRS rules, and perhaps later to get availability and update on some software for some states. .
Old 09-17-2021, 04:36 AM   #16

Quote:
I never really thought of the benefit of tax software as getting my refund quicker. I buy tax software to do the taxes. I can’t imagine keeping up with every nuance of the tax code and then finding the forms and filling them out manually. Once done, whether I mail them or e-file make little difference. I only e-file because it’s free and I don’t have to do anything other than sit at my computer.

I’d certainly give any software a pass for last year. The IRS was a mess and I’m sure that also impacted the software development.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My financial life is simple by design and I usually already know what my taxes will be before I even open the software. What the program does for me is make sure I have not forgotten anything and make sure I don't make math errors. But I don't just take their black box output as gospel truth; if their number doesn't match what I already have calculated, I search until I find the reason it doesn't .
+1 The only difference is that after I make the rough calculations I take my papers to AARP and they use their software. I have been doing this for more than a decade and never a problem. Gives me peace of mind to have 2-3 people looking over the calculations and making sure the information is correctly entered. I also make sure I haven't overpaid so that I am not waiting/trusting for a refund. Since I pay quarterly based on an estimate from the previous year and the dividends from some investments vary I usually have to send a small check. Works for me.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 09:35 AM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

IRS.gov get my transcript on line, will have a transcript for free , downloadable from home with the line entries on the filed tax return. This will show the AGI on file with them. You need to register for an account., jump. thru a few identify hoops
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 10:04 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsoft View Post
It is available in November every year. The best price is almost always on Black Friday.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #20

I use H&R online, then for a few extra bucks have their tax pro review what I did. Usually they change a thing or 2.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote