Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Half-Baked Investment Concepts for Retirees
Old 06-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Half-Baked Investment Concepts for Retirees

Has anyone seen this article by Still River Retirement Planning Software? It certainly puts my thinking in the "half-baked" category! What do you think?

http://www.stillriverretire.com/Down...r_Retirees.pdf
rogerc1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

OK, now what?
Old 06-27-2007, 02:17 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

OK, now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc1944 View Post
Has anyone seen this article by Still River Retirement Planning Software? It certainly puts my thinking in the "half-baked" category! What do you think?

http://www.stillriverretire.com/Down...r_Retirees.pdf

Well, the devil is always in the details. They provide a generality and then shown how this has been blown out of proportion.

What they don't do is offer many alternatives and/or suggestions on what SHOULD be done (instead of the half-baked ideas). Useless.

Again, it all comes down to doing the math.

Quote:
While life expectancies have increased considerably in the last cen-tury, little of this increase has occurred in the last decade. Meanwhile, inflation – another oft-cited threat to retirees – has been low or moderate for a quarter century, and seems much less a danger now than it did to retirees back in the ‘80s.
What would you rather have? a "short retirement" of 5-10 years, (short life expectancy) and 10% inflation... or 30 years of retirement with 4% inflation.

Then they go on to offer no solution. I can come up with crap like this before I get out of bed.

-CC
Old 06-27-2007, 02:18 PM   #3

I think I may be half baked too.

Of course when the whole world's gone crazy, you'd be crazy if you weren't a little crazy too.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
I think I may be half baked too.

Of course when the whole world's gone crazy, you'd be crazy if you weren't a little crazy too.

10 more minutes and some sour cream, butter, chives, bacon bits, etc. You'll be ready to eat!

-CC
Old 06-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerc1944 View Post
What do you think?
I think we're getting our retirement advice from people who have no credibility or experience with the subject.

Older retirees spend less. However that doesn't imply that they spend less when they're older because they have fewer needs, and it doesn't always mean that they spend less because they're impoverished. It doesn't even imply that they're telling the truth! They're just two more facts mistaken as causality.

It's equally likely that today's 80-something retirees spend less because they learned about their spending habits during the Depression. Wait until those spendthrift Boomers & Slackers get to that age.

I would say that if your entire ER success rate depends on the difference between average annual inflation being 3.5% or 4% then it's better to keep working for another year... or to invest for growth during retirement. I've made my choice.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:12 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
However that doesn't imply that they spend less when they're older because they have fewer needs, and it doesn't always mean that they spend less because they're impoverished. It doesn't even imply that they're telling the truth! They're just two more facts mistaken as causality.

You know, I have you so well trained, I almost dont need to post anymore...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Yanked my half baked potato off the grill and nuked for three minutes - got my T-bone done before the rain hit this part of NW Missouri.

Sooo - after the first 14 years of ER as a modest concession that I might not live forever and my investment plan is not necessarily uniquely brilliant(there are others just like me) - I retired my fixed 60/40 balanced index and did not leave 40/60ish value aka psst Wellesley on the table.

Lifecycle - autopilot. I'll be smarter than Vanguard with my mad money stocks - or not.

Soo - pssst Target Retirement - let Vanguard computers rebalance AND slide those asset classes as you age.

Party on(up to 5% variable) while you can still wiggle what you got.

heh heh heh - make use of modern technology - nuke the half baked!
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think we're getting our retirement advice from people who have no credibility or experience with the subject.
Kiyosaki, anyone??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 07:17 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I was not surprised that the ending was to call them up so they could give personalized advice.
bssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Breath of Fresh Air
Old 06-29-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Breath of Fresh Air

It's nice to see something written which is a little different from the drumbeat of conventional retirement investing advice. Allocate this, diversify that, stocks for the long this, index that, mpt this, swr that.

I personally start getting real uncomfortable when there is such widespread agreement about anything. I welcome alternative ideas, if only to quell the unceasing boredom.