Happy Veteran's Day

JOHNNIE36

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Here's to all you military people out there, both active duty and retired. Happy Veteran's Day. I've had my flag out since Saturday. Thank all of you for your service.

A time for thanks, and for memories... of what is, and what might have been.

Attachments

• Veterans Day .jpg
    Veterans Day .jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 3
Please keep those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in your thoughts today. I served for 22 years in the Navy and know 43 shipmates who gave all in that time. May they rest in peace.

I was thinking of making year end charity contributions. What is the best veterans charity to give to? I'm thinking it should be a well known, national, low admin expense charity. Also is there a way to make it one time and not get on a mailing list? I don't want solicitations.

I found this link: charitywatch.org Veterans Deserve Better from Charities
Seems that there are not that many good charities for vets and the situation is more complex then I would have thought:
Why are these large stockpiles of reserves not going to aid the vast numbers of homeless veterans? Because most of the homeless vets do not meet the armed forces charities' eligibility requirements. For instance, AER states that it only helps active duty soldiers and reservists and their dependants, soldiers retired from active duty due to reaching age 60, or "longevity," usually defined as 20 or more years of service, or physical disability. AER also helps surviving spouses and children of soldiers who died while on active duty or after retirement from the military. Since poverty is the major cause of homelessness, the veterans eligible for AER assistance due to having obtained Army retirement status and the accompanying Army benefits are not likely to become homeless.
Dug a little further and found this list of charities: CharityWatch Top-Rated Charities
There is a veterans section there with grade type ratings.

Going to go and put the flag out now ...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom