Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-18-2020, 10:17 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I ran across this two days ago, it tweaked me enough to send her a message about what I think was wrong with it. The big, but not only problem is she used (or made up) extreme positions and then argued against them. Like saving 75% of you income! The article states "He (as in Pete) told me that to be truly Fire, I should limit the number of children and pets that I have, as both are expensive. (OP here, very possible) But that is not enough. Fire involves extreme austerity, significantly limiting the amount you spend, and saving hard — up to 75 per cent of your income." I can't tell if she really talked to him or if that was poetic license.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/article...rom%20%251%24s
Oye, what a painful article to read. The author said,

Quote:
I am not, then, a Fire fan. But in retrospect, I may have been Fire before the term was even invented. I ‘retired’ from working in the City aged 29 in order to pursue what I really wanted to do: journalism.
But then in the VERY NEXT BREATH said,

Quote:
I didn’t have hundreds of thousands of pounds of savings, though. I always knew that I would have to work.
Oye, oye, oye. Changing employers and/or job titles isn't "retirement" in ANY sense of the word.

And this gem:

Quote:
For me, though, a full commitment to Fire sounds a miserable way to exist. Life is for living and part of that is going out to eat with the family, meeting up with friends for drinks and a chat, going to the cinema to see the latest blockbuster, or having my hair highlighted and cut (£140 in my case).
Personally, what I find miserable is w*rking. As my signature suggests, I *did* go back to w*rk (I admit to being a bit bored w/ COVID, but I have figured out I would rather be a little bored than to w*rk again!!!) but it's a miserable thing and I look forward to being full on FIREd again next week.

I also never saved more than 60% of my income. Granted, I *do* get a decent pension that more than pays our normal expenses, but still...saving 75%? That's unreasonable for I would guess a majority of folks...with or without having kids and/or animals.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am attempting to achieve an Out of Body experience so I can travel more for less money. So far, I have not been able to project my soul much farther than the kitchen or the bathroom.

OOB experiences must be done with care. There are hazards. One Chinese mystic laid his body down in a farmer's field and projected his soul on a very long trip. The farmer came along, and thinking the man had died, burned the body as is the village custom. There is no word on what happened to the soul.

Maybe I'll stick to long walks

On a more practical note, my identity changed from a working stiff who was also a father. I became more of a father, much more of a grandfather, and what I will describe as a single, older, gentleman of modest but independent means.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:40 AM   #43

I do understand a little bit about "loss of identity". When I retired at 50, I cringed when I met someone new and they immediately asked me "what do you do?" or "where do you work?". It was hard for me to say "retired". Now, that I'm old enough to collect SS, I don't have that problem anymore, thankfully.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
"what do you do?"
"What do I do? Well, right now I'm talking to you, and then the rest of the day's my own."

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #45
Administrator

What makes my free time “unbearable” is the fact that others, including some family members, extended family and (former) friends have viewed it as free to them.

My time is free to me, but no one else. And not for sale, although on occasion it does make a nice gift. . I think the author in the linked article doesn’t get that and probably doesn’t have much free time.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #46

Ditto. Did not miss a thing. No identity crisis. Got busy and moved forward-with my health and with our lives. Looked at it as an opportunity to change our lifestyle, our residence, and enhance our travel opportunities.

I guess we have always believed in moving forward, adapting, and getting on with it. So that is exactly what we have done and it has worked for us.

So no, did not and do not miss it one iota! No interest in the rear view mirror when there is so much to see in the windscreen.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #47

Quote:
"what do you do?"
My stock response is "As little as possible".
CoolRich59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I feel sorry for people who don't have hobbies. I had so many that I wanted to quit as soon as possible to persue my hobbies.
I tend to agree. There is something pure, and really great, about being engrossed in something simply because you enjoy it, and not because it is profitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
But I do know people w/o hobbies, so I can relate I guess.
We often thought of our Dad as not having any interests outside work, but that wasn't strictly true. He enjoyed his time in the garden. While he didn't think of it as a hobby, he did like his time there. To me, that counts.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 09:00 PM   #49

Quote:
"what do you do?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
My stock response is "As little as possible".
Great minds think alike. Note the tagline:
Old 12-20-2020, 07:42 AM   #50

Quote:
For me, though, a full commitment to Fire sounds a miserable way to exist. Life is for living and part of that is going out to eat with the family, meeting up with friends for drinks and a chat, going to the cinema to see the latest blockbuster, or having my hair highlighted and cut (£140 in my case).
Wow. That person is probably the exact opposite of me. Eating out bores me, meeting up with friends costs nothing and I haven't been to a cinema for years. A the current exchange rate, I probably spend £140 on haircuts in something like 3 years. And I'd gladly learn to cut my own hair if that ever became an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
...my identity changed from a working stiff who was also a father. I became more of a father, much more of a grandfather, and what I will describe as a single, older, gentleman of modest but independent means.
This is more like it. I like the phrase "modest but independent means." There don't seem to be too many of us left on here who would fit that description.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:56 AM   #51
Administrator

If you start saving modestly early enough to use the magic of compounding, you can live an enjoyable life now and in the future without scrimping.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:07 AM   #52

Shortly after the market closes, I awaken from my nap and see if I am richer or poorer. If the internet is fast I can do it in five minutes.

I know. it's tough but rarely boring.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #53

I was on the FIRE path since I started my career 30 years ago, so my mind was fertile ground when all the FIRE blogs emerged ten years ago. I found many of them motivational and helpful. Inevitably, other writers in the marketplace of ideas started to find a niche criticizing FIRE. Others are in the middle. Oh well. It’s a free country.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Loss of identity? "Unbearable" amounts of free time? ROFLMAO!!!
'nuf said!
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:59 AM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I ran across this two days ago, it tweaked me enough to send her a message about what I think was wrong with it. The big, but not only problem is she used (or made up) extreme positions and then argued against them. Like saving 75% of you income! The article states "He (as in Pete) told me that to be truly Fire, I should limit the number of children and pets that I have, as both are expensive. (OP here, very possible) But that is not enough. Fire involves extreme austerity, significantly limiting the amount you spend, and saving hard — up to 75 per cent of your income." I can't tell if she really talked to him or if that was poetic license.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/article...rom%20%251%24s

I just read the article you quoted and I actually think she made many good points. She talked about reducing consumption, saving money (so you have options) and that you also need to live your life while saving. And that she believes in FI, just not RE.

Panda
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #56

The number one thing if I could go back in time, is start saving and investing earlier and understand the power of compounding at an earlier age. I started investing and saving at age 25, which seems early enough, but it was really luck that it happened and not anything I can claim credit for.

A bank representative back in 1995 encouraged me to buy a mutual fund and I am very grateful she did. That started me on the road to saving and investing. I do not have any idea how things would have played out if she had not of done that because back in 1995 saving and investing was not even on my radar. All that changed after she talked with me.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #57

No loss in identity of not working because of identity has nothing to do with what you do and what you have.
Old 12-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Great minds think alike. Note the tagline:
I just tell people I'm unemployed...and then sit back to see how they treat me.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 05:52 PM   #59
Moderator Emeritus

How did I miss this thread? What fun to discover it and to read so many uplifting posts. (Thanks, everyone!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I've never had an identity, but in 11 days it'll be 32 years since I had to announce my name when answering a telephone.
OMG, it has only been 11 years since I retired, but I had completely FORGOTTEN about doing that like a robot each time I answered the phone at work! Oddly I don't miss it one bit.

If I had always known what it is like to be retired, I would have majored in "Pre-Retirement Studies" in college. Then I would have taken a job as "Entry Level Retiree" and worked my way up the retirement ladder, sleeping in later every day and procrastinating more and more as I perfected my retirement skills.
Old 12-20-2020, 06:13 PM   #60

No loss of identity for me and I have to almost fight with myself to go to bed at a decent hour, because I just want to do one more thing. Some days I don't even have time to watch tv, because of all of the reading that I do on the computer, kindle or books. I love being retired and being able to spend the majority of my time doing exactly what I want to do.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote