Join Early Retirement Today

Hard lessons of FIRE: loss of identity....unbearable amount of free time.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Hard lessons of FIRE: loss of identity....unbearable amount of free time.

I saw these problems listed towards the end of the article, and chuckled at how stupid these problems seem. "Loss of identity," maybe, but has anyone suffered an "unbearable amount of freetime?"
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/im...iteid=yhoof2or
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2020, 10:03 AM   #2

Loss of identity? "Unbearable" amounts of free time? ROFLMAO!!!
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:09 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The loss of identity lesson is something I can really relate to. I woke up the first Monday after I retired and looked in the mirror at someone who had such a huge grin I could hardly recognize myself.

As to unbearable amounts of free time, you do have to suck it up and learn to endure it. I've spent the past 15 years suffering in silence and hope to continue without complaint for many years in the future.
Old 12-17-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

It's Marketwatch, the author is maybe 40, probably younger.

pass....
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:20 AM   #5

Unbearable amount of free time trump's accepting another steaming pile of crap from your boss. Lol. 5 years now retired and still waiting for the unbearable amount of free time. C19 slowed the roll this year doing stuff but still filled my day with things to do and be done.
bobandsherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
It's Marketwatch, the author is maybe 40, probably younger.

pass....

https://www.marketwatch.com/author/a...=MW_author_bio

Either a really old photo or a really young author!
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:49 AM   #7

Actually, I do understand. Some people's identity is totally tied up in their work. Especially at higher skill levels. In a way I envy those people. But it's certainly not my issue. I was always able to compartmentalize; work, family, friends, other organizations, etc.

And again, someone who commits a very large percentage of their time to one activity (like w*rk) is likely to feel adrift if they suddenly don't have that. Again, not me. I always tell people "I don't know how I ever found time to w*rk." I now have time for all the other things I used to have to squeeze into evenings and weekends.

I can admire those who specialized to the point there's very little else in their lives. But I'm sort of glad I'm not one of them.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I can relate to too much free time and that’s why I do some consulting and teach a online college class.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
I saw these problems listed towards the end of the article, and chuckled at how stupid these problems seem. "Loss of identity," maybe, but has anyone suffered an "unbearable amount of freetime?"
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/im...iteid=yhoof2or
HAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
As to unbearable amounts of free time, you do have to suck it up and learn to endure it. I've spent the past 15 years suffering in silence and hope to continue without complaint for many years in the future.
Same here (21 years). Sigh!
Old 12-17-2020, 11:34 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Try listening to "The Money Guys" on You Tube always putting a damper on the FIRE movement. The big problem with the fire movement...the huge downside to the fire movement...the major cons of the fire movement and the hard truth about the... And they are supposed to be helping people to build wealth. I think they are financial advisors.

They suggested it was not a smart decision to retire early when you're at the peak of your earning potential. I think Mr. Money Mustache should give them a piece of his mind. People seem to like their advice but I find them quite annoying. They make it sound like achieving financial independence is soooo hard and that you would have to scrimp and live on nothing to get there.
Blue531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I can relate to too much free time and that’s why I do some consulting and teach a online college class.

I’ve had too much free time too, but I’ve found a new hobby to fill the time. Napping!
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:41 AM   #12
Administrator

What is this thing called “free time”?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:44 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
What is this thing called “free time”?
That should be obvious. It's the time you donate (free) as a moderator on E-R.org.
Old 12-17-2020, 11:47 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I've never had an identity, but in 11 days it'll be 32 years since I had to announce my name when answering a telephone.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

The only identity I want to keep is to be known as a good husband/father/brother/friend. Other identities are just transactional to me and I am ready to move on from them. Free time? I want it all while I still can since I cannot buy it
Green Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I know some retired folks who have loaded up with volunteering. It seems that they get their self-worth from what they accomplish during the day.

I did get lots of things from working: high blood pressure, heart disease. Since retiring, I have been focused on my health #1. And doing things I never had time for when working for the dollar.
Old 12-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I had to check the calendar - is today April 1st?

I had plenty of free time while riding the trains to and from work for 23 years (though not always 5 days a week). I'll take my free time, and more of it, NOT on those dang trains!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 01:00 PM   #18

Free time is better than time in endless meetings. How is this a problem?
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue531 View Post
Try listening to "The Money Guys" on You Tube always putting a damper on the FIRE movement. The big problem with the fire movement...the huge downside to the fire movement...the major cons of the fire movement and the hard truth about the... And they are supposed to be helping people to build wealth.

I ran across this two days ago, it tweaked me enough to send her a message about what I think was wrong with it. The big, but not only problem is she used (or made up) extreme positions and then argued against them. Like saving 75% of you income! The article states "He (as in Pete) told me that to be truly Fire, I should limit the number of children and pets that I have, as both are expensive. (OP here, very possible) But that is not enough. Fire involves extreme austerity, significantly limiting the amount you spend, and saving hard — up to 75 per cent of your income." I can't tell if she really talked to him or if that was poetic license.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/article...rom%20%251%24s
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2020, 03:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I know some retired folks who have loaded up with volunteering. It seems that they get their self-worth from what they accomplish during the day.

I did get lots of things from working: high blood pressure, heart disease. Since retiring, I have been focused on my health #1. And doing things I never had time for when working for the dollar.
Yes indeed. Health is the #1 priority .