Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, this is so scary, and also a warning to not just assume Covid when you’ve had recent surgery! I’m so glad your wife is pulling through and I wish her a thorough recovery. I’m so scared of ventilators but I’m glad they helped buy your wife the time to find the bacteria causing the problem. Sepsis is so scary, and Covid causes it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARS View Post
Having got sepsis myself after an operation I have come to the following conclusion: if you have surgery and anything remotely looking like chills or a fever afterwards immediately suspect Sepsis and push for blood work to confirm.

I have now read (and directly experienced ) too many stories that follow this same plot line.

That’s my advice...
Wow - thanks - I am now informed!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2020, 04:11 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

wow - what a story. Thank you for sharing some good news for 2020. Best wishes for an accelerated recovery to your wife. Hoping she sees the tennis court again soon.
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:14 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

This link might be of some assistance to the OP & spouse:

https://www.sepsis.org/education/pat...sis-survivors/

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow. That's terrifying. Glad she is on the mend. My uncle died of sepsis but he was quite a bit older. Thank goodness for the NHS, I can't fathom the medical bills you would be sorting through in the U.S. for something like this.
anothercog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Closet_Gamer, what a horrible experience for you, your DW and kids.... I am so glad to hear that NHS were able to find the right antibiotic and have things heading in the right direction. Godspeed to you and your family.

P.S. I miss London so much... hope to make it "across the pond" once this covid craziness is over.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:04 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

OP, thanks for sharing. Definitely a great reminder for many of us (my family and I for sure).
We are praying for a full recovery for your DW.
ut2sua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:32 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post

That website has information on wound cleaning that I didn't know: "rinse it and the surrounding area with clean (not soapy) water..." The "not soapy" part is new to me. And they don't mention "clean and dry" or the newer guidance "clean and moist." I thought petroleum jelly was good for wounds and that you shouldn't let them dry out. But I guess petroleum jelly could get contaminated just like soap. They do say "If desired, apply an antibiotic cream or ointment." I think I'll get some of that.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Many years ago, I lost my little sis due to sepsis. It went very fast. Best wishes and blessings to your DW.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:27 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I appreciate your post and will be thinking positive thoughts in your direction.

We also recently had a reminder that health is uncertain. It wasn't me or DH, it's our sister-in-law who is DHs brother's wife.

A few weeks ago she became short of breath. It had happened to a lesser degree earlier but suddenly it got awful. Turns out it's lung cancer. She has never smoked. The doctor called it Stage 4 but so far they have not found other sites. She is expecting chemotherapy and a long struggle but they are ready to take on whatever is needed.

Of all the DH's siblings and spouses she is one of the youngest. They live in NJ, outside NYC so they are in a good area for medical care. Her family is close by. Their 2 daughters are adults and her oldest is 29 and in a steady relationship with a guy the whole family loves. I'm hoping that she can get through this and see her daughter get married and I'm crossing my fingers that maybe she'd have a grandchild!

So yes, life is uncertain. And I wish they were in the UK because here in the USA they will meet their deductible for 2020 and certainly again in early 2021!

Closet_Gamer, please keep us posted on her progress.
I'm very sorry to hear about this. I hope she fights through it to see that wedding and grandchild! During DW's illness my sister-in-law told me not to underestimate what a Mom will go through to see her kids again.

Good luck & God Bless.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:34 AM   #30

Quote:
Considerably worse than my own bout with sepsis, (which was the worst thing I've ever experienced), and I thought mine was bad enough - be on the lookout for PTSD though, which is apparently not an uncommon after effect......my own experience with it was mercifully short lived, (depression, anger - though thankfully mine was internal and not directed at DW).

Good luck!
Thanks. Definitely on the lookout for mental health issues. We're already wrestling with them now. Her return to wakefulness has been quite difficult becuase she has no recollection of how she got there. Didn't even remember going to the emergency room. Due to Covid overload, the NHS hospital has had to use their facilities in unplanned ways. One was to use an ICU originally intended for short, overnight stays as a longer term room. DW really came back to awareness in a windowless ward with only flourescent lighting with 15 or so other patients + a vent/trach tube, needles, beeps, etc of the ICU. Its been brutal. She wasn't sure she was even still in England.

Due to the efforts of a wonderful dietician named Danni who became concerned about DW's emotional situation, last night she was transferred to a ward that was designed for ICU recovery. Still a ward, but she woke up this morning to sun and a of the Thames. I can't even keep track of the number of people who've invested their time to change my wife's life.

I'm speaking with a psychologist next week to understand how we best start laying foundations on the mental health front.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:35 AM   #31

Quote:

Thank you! Super helpful.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:38 AM   #32

Thank you to everyone for your kind responses and well wishes.

The most amazing thing happened last night.

Yesterday I dropped off an ipad mini in an easy to hold case. Last night DW's best friend in the US called me in a bit of flutter saying that DW was texting her. She initially thought I might have been playing a bad joke.

Nope. DW had opened imessage, clicked the right chain, & texted her. Her friend called her back on Facetime. DW can't speak due to the tube, but they connected for 20 minutes.

Her first step back towards normality. She reached out to friend.

Amazing.
Old 12-24-2020, 03:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Remember also that not at anytime were you worried about going bankrupt, or whether some insurance company would deny the life saving efforts of the NHS.
The insurance point has occured to me on several occasions.

Because of my career and the megacorp I work for, we've always had very good insurance. The usual hoops to jump through, but at the end of the day really fantastic coverage. If we were in the US, we wouldn't even have blinked at heading to the ER. Even moreso because our financial situation means that we could ride out a $25k deductible or several years of them back-to-back.

But so many people are not in that situation. It's occurred to me that in the UK, a plumber can pick up the phone, call 111 (or 999) and wind up with more-or-less the same experience we had. I'm sure there is some variation by geography but in the same situation and same mortality odds, the plumber's wife goes on ECMO, same as mine. The estimated cost of ECMO is $5-10k/day. DW was on it for 15 days.

There is also the unseen costs that crop up. I've had to jump the train into London several times. Usually with DD or my brother who came to help. £40 round trip tickets, £10 to park. Easy enough for me, but really a burden for lots of people. I'm hiring some help around the house for when I go back to work in January. Totally not even an option for most people.

The whole thing has me thinking about how to better support people in these situations. A $500 debit card to a family with a sick loved one could be huge.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:57 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post

Yesterday I dropped off an ipad mini in an easy to hold case. Last night DW's best friend in the US called me in a bit of flutter saying that DW was texting her. She initially thought I might have been playing a bad joke.

Nope. DW had opened imessage, clicked the right chain, & texted her. Her friend called her back on Facetime. DW can't speak due to the tube, but they connected for 20 minutes.

Amazing.
that is so cool! Wonderful news!
bobbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:06 AM   #35
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyr View Post
that is so cool! Wonderful news!
Indeed it is
Old 12-24-2020, 06:43 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thank you! Super helpful.
My brush with sepsis was ~ 18 months ago, (brought on by a bladder infection), and post-hospital/ post PTSD (where I actually tried to calculate how long it would take me to die if I stopped eating/drinking......do not underestimate the aftereffects of this condition), I read a number of personal testimonials.

One I recall, (not in exact detail, but close enough), was by a young, athletic, woman (31 IIRC), and it took her a year to get back to normal.

Me, I was stair climbing, using the elliptical, beforehand......post hospital the most I could do was 2 minutes at a time on the machine.

(DW was just reading over my shoulder and commented that, if I hadn't been treated semi-promptly, (I was slurring, stumbling, shivering), I would have likely been in ICU also. I was in ER the day before I was admitted, and sent home; next day, when I returned, someone recognized the symptoms.

Sepsis is not something to take lightly.)

All the best to you both!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Thank you for sharing your story. Best news is that against the odds she will recover. Iím sure youíre all still feeling itís been surreal. Like you said, she was healthy, blowing out birthday candles and almost overnight fighting for her life.

Never take our health for granted. Enjoy everyday.

May everyone have a healthy holiday season
Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

What an incredible story. Thank you for sharing!

Iíve also never seen that Rich, Broke, or Dead calculator before so thanks for sharing that.

Hereís to a full recovery and a return to ordinary daysósuch blessings in themselves.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:10 PM   #39

Quote:

Amazing.
Oh, this made me get all teary eyed. I'm so glad she's making steps on her way back to normal!

Quote:

The whole thing has me thinking about how to better support people in these situations. A $500 debit card to a family with a sick loved one could be huge.
That's exactly what we did for SIL. DH and his siblings texted back and forth about sending a flower arrangement and then one of them suggested a debit card instead. They will need it for tolls, hospital parking and meals when she has to go into NYC for medical appointments. We all Paypal-ed one sibling who took care of it and got it to them the day she got home from the hospital.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Amazing.
Wow, great news!