Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-24-2020, 11:23 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

C_G, good news on the recovery progress! Your story is one that demonstrates how fragile life can be. Going great one day and then all hell breaks loose another. Sepsis is a very bad thing and glad to hear that the doctors and lab figured out an effective antibiotic to treat your wife.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2020, 12:37 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post
...The most amazing thing happened last night.

Yesterday I dropped off an ipad mini in an easy to hold case. Last night DW's best friend in the US called me in a bit of flutter saying that DW was texting her. She initially thought I might have been playing a bad joke.

Nope. DW had opened imessage, clicked the right chain, & texted her. Her friend called her back on Facetime. DW can't speak due to the tube, but they connected for 20 minutes.

Her first step back towards normality. She reached out to friend.

Amazing.
The beginning of a Christmas miracle I hope!

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:46 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I'm so sorry for what your family's been through. The sepsis could happen to anyone after surgery. We'll put her on our prayer list.

My wife's having mid foot arthritis surgery 12/31. This will be her 7th surgery in 2 years. She's going to be in the hospital 3 days and in rehab 3 weeks. The surgeon said this will be the worst surgery she's ever experienced as she cannot walk for 2-3 mos. And her arthritis is the worst he's ever seen.

Our opinion of the NHS is not so good. We were in Weybridge visiting our niece, and she shortly thereafter underwent treatment for uterine cancer. The NHS should have done surgery before chemo/radiation. We brought her back to the U.S., and she didn't make it--44 years old. Had she come home for treatment, we think she'd still be alive.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 01:51 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Bamaman: What can be said? So sad about your niece. Hope your wife will be running and jumping in three months though!

Hang in.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 11:20 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Our opinion of the NHS is not so good. We were in Weybridge visiting our niece, and she shortly thereafter underwent treatment for uterine cancer. The NHS should have done surgery before chemo/radiation. We brought her back to the U.S., and she didn't make it--44 years old. Had she come home for treatment, we think she'd still be alive.

With some types of cancer, the protocol is to do chemo+radiation prior to surgery to shrink the tumor before excising it. Then, a more extensive adjuvant course of chemo is applied after the surgery to kill any stray cancerous cells that they miss.

Without knowing the details of your niece's treatment, I just want to mention that pre-surgery chemo+radiation is also done here in the US for certain cancer types.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
With some types of cancer, the protocol is to do chemo+radiation prior to surgery to shrink the tumor before excising it. Then, a more extensive adjuvant course of chemo is applied after the surgery to kill any stray cancerous cells that they miss.
This is exactly what M.D. Anderson did for my next door neighbors uterine cancer this past several months. She is now almost through with the second round of chemo after her surgery,
Old 12-26-2020, 08:58 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Great post! I'm so happy that you DW is pulling through, Closet_Gamer. Your story is inspiring, and has lifted my spirits as we spent Christmas alone with our cat rather than gathering with the family just down the road a bit. We're so ready for the vaccine.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:10 PM   #48

Quote:
I'm so sorry for what your family's been through. The sepsis could happen to anyone after surgery. We'll put her on our prayer list.

My wife's having mid foot arthritis surgery 12/31. This will be her 7th surgery in 2 years. She's going to be in the hospital 3 days and in rehab 3 weeks. The surgeon said this will be the worst surgery she's ever experienced as she cannot walk for 2-3 mos. And her arthritis is the worst he's ever seen.

I am so very sorry about your niece.

Hope you're wife's surgery comes together without incident!
Old 12-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #49

Closet Gamer; I have no advice or stories for you but wanted to express my prayers and good wishes for you, your family and DW.
Old 12-26-2020, 02:40 PM   #50

Quote:

Bamaman; So sorry for your loss.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:37 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to hear your wife is recovering.
Another reason to do the things you really want to do and not think you can just do it in a few years, especially us older folk.
JJpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:28 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The insurance point has occured to me on several occasions.

There is also the unseen costs that crop up. I've had to jump the train into London several times. Usually with DD or my brother who came to help. £40 round trip tickets, £10 to park. Easy enough for me, but really a burden for lots of people. I'm hiring some help around the house for when I go back to work in January. Totally not even an option for most people.

The whole thing has me thinking about how to better support people in these situations. A $500 debit card to a family with a sick loved one could be huge.
A friend of mine was at UC San Francisco for a month. They charge like $20 a day for parking. I think that is criminal. I can see it for non family visitors but it seems like the hospital should give a parking pass to each patient. Another friend of mine had retired from UCSF a few months before my friend got sick. She had a ton of free parking stickers (I think some were for days and some were for free hours). She gave them to my sick friend's wife who used them every day for a month. She swears she used the last one on the day they transferred him to rehab.

At the time, I thought that the hospital should have a fund for cases like this. It is one thing to be in the hospital for a day or two (though that could be a hardship for some) but for a month, it is a hardship for many! I think my friend saved over $700 by having the parking stickers.
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 03:11 AM   #53

Hi everyone.

I thought you would enjoy a happy update:

DW came off of the ventilator! All of the life threatening issues appear to be in the rear-view mirror. Still some hard yards ahead, but a major victory.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!
Old 12-30-2020, 04:14 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi everyone.

DW came off of the ventilator! All of the life threatening issues appear to be in the rear-view mirror. Still some hard yards ahead, but a major victory.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!
YAH!! I agree about 2020.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:32 AM   #55

Quote:
Hi everyone.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!

The best kind of update!

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:41 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hi everyone.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!
Great to hear. Onward to 2021.
Old 12-30-2020, 04:44 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hi everyone.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!
Yay! Great news!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:09 AM   #58
Administrator

Great news to end the year with.
Old 12-30-2020, 06:57 AM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hi everyone.

2020 can stick it.

On to 2021!
Tremendous news! Yay!
bobbyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Great to win one once in a while! Keep up the good work!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote