Hard to live on 100K per year ?

My single, 39 year old son lives in Seattle and can't seem to get by on $80K a year. His apartment rent is $1K, maybe a touch more. It was $900 about two years ago. His wages are about to get garnished for something or other. We've always been LBYM so leading by example doesn't always work. I'll blame his biological father.

$100K..less income and FICA taxes...less retirement and college savings...other costs associated with kids. Not as much as you might think. Not saying they aren't spending on things they shouldn't, but $100K working wage is not the same as $100K retirement withdrawals which may be lightly taxed.

I have to agree. A lot of it depends where one lives. I pay 16k in property taxes and about 14k in medical. We have enough but 100k will not allow a luxury life. We clean our own house, mow our own lawn, fix most of everything that breaks in our old house. :greetings10:

I used to use Hotwire to book an overnight stay near the airport. Now I am more selective: breakfast and a free shuttle. Some offer a shuttle but it is not free. Some do not offer breakfast because they have no restaurant. Others are on a public transit route. It is complicated.

Actually most places in the Holiday Inn express/Hampton Inn/Comfort Suites bracket don't have restaurants attached, just a dining room, and a prep area with fridges/freezers and microwaves. There are doors that are open in the morning to the prep area and close when breakfast is over.

When I lived in San Diego (1977-1984), everyone that I happened to know there vehemently insisted that food was the same price there as everywhere else.

When we moved to College Station, Texas, in 1984, our food bill went down to about half or two thirds what it was in California, despite no sales shopping, buying the same stuff, and about the same level of grocery store in both places. I don't know why, but anyway that was really nice, whatever the cause. :)

Did you miss the weather any? I hear it is A+

Gorgeous! I could get used to that view immediately and never want to leave.
Yes the views are spectacular. There are more but the video was too big. There is an Indian burial ground behind the building and the homes on Sentinel Hill behind are at eye level so we get lots of birds for the feeders.

But when the clouds and rain move in, it is tough to endure when you no longer need to be there. ergo PV for 5+months.
Actually most places in the Holiday Inn express/Hampton Inn/Comfort Suites bracket don't have restaurants attached, just a dining room, and a prep area with fridges/freezers and microwaves. There are doors that are open in the morning to the prep area and close when breakfast is over.
Yes but I like the option of dinner in the hotel. Or close by. Airport hotels sometimes have restaurants that are a long walk.

In Strasburg, the HI City Center was 3 trams stops from city center. It did have a restaurant though.:dance:

With that view and the space you have I'd say you are getting bargain for what you pay.

Wait, you spend 5 months somewhere else?

But still pay for the vacant apt?

Wait, you spend 5 months somewhere else?

But still pay for the vacant apt?
We did. But after a few years and experience doing home swaps, we decided to hire REMAX to rent it for us. Our offer is below market because we insist on the tenants meeting our conditions (mature senior couple with no pets or kids). It has worked well and we have met some interesting people. The most common tenant is a rich couple with a nice 3-level home that wants one floor to recuperate from hip/knee surgery for few months. We leave many things for their use (e.g. my workshop and computer/printer) but have an owner lockoff.

I have to agree. A lot of it depends where one lives. I pay 16k in property taxes and about 14k in medical. We have enough but 100k will not allow a luxury life. We clean our own house, mow our own lawn, fix most of everything that breaks in our old house. :greetings10:
The upside of Illinois is they don't tax retirement income (pension, IRA, 401k).

Still, some of the property tax burdens can be eye opening. 15K in taxes would get you a $2M mansion in many places. In Chicago area, not so much. Dad lived in a condo and was paying almost $8k. A $160K condo, without a view of the pacific ocean. :)

A 16k property tax in Chicago must be close to a $1Million house in a nice part of town. Not too shabby.

Cheers!

We did. But after a few years and experience doing home swaps, we decided to hire REMAX to rent it for us. Our offer is below market because we insist on the tenants meeting our conditions (mature senior couple with no pets or kids). It has worked well and we have met some interesting people. The most common tenant is a rich couple with a nice 3-level home that wants one floor to recuperate from hip/knee surgery for few months. We leave many things for their use (e.g. my workshop and computer/printer) but have an owner lockoff.

Is it legal to to restrict tenant on age and if they have kids? I thought that was illegal?

Is it legal to to restrict tenant on age and if they have kids? I thought that was illegal?
Yes it is. However the price point eliminates many problem tenants. We had one couple from Shanghai with a 13 yo son. He caused a bit of damage but it was more than covered by the damage deposit.

Their cooking caused some cleaning problems in the kitchen but the high-powered exhaust fan and a special cleaning solved that.

A 16k property tax in Chicago must be close to a $1Million house in a nice part of town. Not too shabby.

Cheers!

Or a $650k new construction townhome in the NW burbs. Property tax for new construction was 2.5% in Lake County when I looked for something. Lots of problems with needing to build new schools. I paid $8k on a $300k 30 yo colonial in a burb that would be considered below average. Now you move into something in Skokie in a nice neighborhood you were looking at more like $25k/yr on a $1M home.

Or a $650k new construction townhome in the NW burbs. Property tax for new construction was 2.5% in Lake County when I looked for something. Lots of problems with needing to build new schools. I paid $8k on a $300k 30 yo colonial in a burb that would be considered below average. Now you move into something in Skokie in a nice neighborhood you were looking at more like $25k/yr on a $1M home.
Exactly. This is truth.

A sibling has a very nice home in Lake County assessed near $1m. I spit my coffee out when it was mentioned property tax was $23k.

But when the clouds and rain move in, it is tough to endure when you no longer need to be there. ergo PV for 5+months.Yes

Seems a lot of rent to pay for 7 months of the year. I know why you do it though. BS Healthcare requirements right?

Did you miss the weather any? I hear it is A+

I don't do well in such low humidity. Not only is it uncomfortable in my respiratory tract, but also my face bleeds badly in low humidity, despite using huge quantities of chapstick and lotions. So I am not all nostalgic for the weather. I love the humidity here in New Orleans - - it's great for my skin.

Sounds great!

The place we like in Monterey with the balcony on the bay so close you can spit in the water not to mention enjoy the constant slosh of the waves on the rocks and watch marine life for hours is $350 / night and worth every penny.

But it's not like we go there often, maybe once a year. But when we go I know where we'll be staying - :)

And where is that? Since you only go once a year maybe you won’t mind sharing.

Have never been to Monterey but always wanted to go.

Seems a lot of rent to pay for 7 months of the year. I know why you do it though. BS Healthcare requirements right?
Yup. Plus we love Vancouver in the summer. But it is an ongoing topic of conversation. We could move inland in Mexico to the cool mountain towns in the summer and make a couple of trips north. Local medical insurance would be cheaper but I would give up medical/dental/pharma coverage from megacorp. Our out-of-pocket medical expenses is $14500/yr for two of us after all the above contributions.

It is all a part of increasing the VPW. We can afford to do anything and that makes it tougher to choose. We use numbeo but the data is inadequate for the Mexican mountain towns.

We tried to do a home swap into Pacific Grove and nothing was available for 2 years. We are at the stage of not buying green bananas, so that was out of the question. But it sounded just like Robbie is describing. We have stayed in Pacifica (Rockaway) though. Not rocks but sand.

And where is that? Since you only go once a year maybe you won’t mind sharing.

Don't know where Robbie stays, but I've stayed at the Monterey Plaza Hotel and it's great. If you get an oceanfront room, waves are breaking right under your balcony. And everything in town is walking distance.

Back
Top Bottom