Harder than I thought it would be

I had a friend that was 10 years older then me tell me that when you are ready to retire you will just know. She was right and I retired shortly before my 58th birthday. 7 months later I was offered a chance to teach an online college course that I love. If I had not been retired I would not have taken the job. If I ever find that I don't like doing that I will quit. I have had friends die in 50's and early 60's. I did not want to work f.t. until I die.

Don't underestimate the risk of someday wishing you'd retired earlier.

+1
CaptTom: is than an original on your part? If so, bravo!

All that talk of "risk" got me thinking about my old (plagiarized) saying about nobody every lying on their death bed wishing they'd spent more time at the office.

It sort of just came out from that.

My decision was a bit different. I liked my job and I think I was still good at it but I was looking at how much time I wanted to have for retirement. OMY meant OLY for retirement. So I pulled the pin and they were able to organize my orderly departure 6 weeks later.

But it is a personal decision!

Every once in a while, we think a bit about this, even though I'm already retired. We know that we have enough, but once in a while, the chat turns to fulfillment and those kinds of things, then inevitably, how much extra savings a couple more years would have brought enters the conversation. Truthfully, I'd love to be able to afford a million dollar second home in Hawaii, and to have my own plane, and..., and..., and...,. But when I think of those things, and what I already have going on in my life, and I wonder when I'd ever have time for those things. Especially now with DW's medical problems, I simply wouldn't be able to use any more that I already have. Given that, DW and I are convinced that me being able to retire early is one of our greatest blessings, especially since she needs someone to be with her almost constantly, until we get her issues under control.

So, think again whether you have enough, whether you will be happy with what you have (or if only more will give you the satisfaction you seek), and if you have what you need to be satisfied and happy until the end, why not pull the plug?

Well said! It has become increasingly clear to me that further savings accumulation for the sake of luxury doesn't make sense. I could easily fill my days with simple activities and enjoyment of the possessions I already own.

Well said! It has become increasingly clear to me that further savings accumulation for the sake of luxury doesn't make sense. I could easily fill my days with simple activities and enjoyment of the possessions I already own.
Plus I think much of the pleasure of owning very expensive things is for an ego boost. I'm past that.

So.....I am not alone in this delima:confused::confused: Hurray, so glad for this thread. I'll be 62 in March. So tired of the pressures of my job.....medical device sales.
:greetings10:

OK I'm also in sales and though off topic, can't resist the chance to get input. Over the last 5 or so years. Sales has really begun to suck! :facepalm:I'm making money (not as much as I would like:D), but can't get appointments, or returned e-mail and phone calls. Just landed prototypes on a $800K piece of business after an 8 month gestation. Couldn't even get a return call to discuss our proposal prior to sending the quote. :confused::confused:

But they ordered.:dance:

I constantly look at my time through a cost lens, and get down right angry:mad: when a low $$$ customer needs a vist, and I lose $$$ on the trip. I'm also an independent contractor so I own the cost center.

General observations seeking guidance::greetings10:
1) Trend towards direct employees to handle sales if there is any demand for the product.
2) General lack of activity for outside sales personnel.

General observations seeking guidance::greetings10:
1) Trend towards direct employees to handle sales if there is any demand for the product.
2) General lack of activity for outside sales personnel.
I think you have been evolved out of a job! Change industries or ER?

I think you have been evolved out of a job! Change industries or ER?

Confirmed with a guy yesterday who had been working large networking IT sales for a local cable company. He indicated over the years they had been replacing technical sales guys with "car Rental" type people for several years now. ER is on the horizon 1 way or another :(

P.S. For many reasons it feels like being kicked out of the club.

I've been in the OMY club for a few years now. I've cut back on work and "tested" retirement and its great. But its very final for me. Once I'm out for a year or two it would be almost impossible to get back into what I do.

I'm only 52. I have what most would call "a lot" of money but I have a large family and spend a lot. My wife is 43 and does not work. For a 52 year old and 43 year old to be done working forever is a fairly scary prospect. I know we can do it because if we need to adjust our lifestyle down a notch or two we can, but I still continue to wring my hands over this.

Make the right choice for you (just don't die with too much money leftover).

I've been in the OMY club for a few years now. I've cut back on work and "tested" retirement and its great. But its very final for me. Once I'm out for a year or two it would be almost impossible to get back into what I do.
Yes, this is my experience too. Looks like DW may try ER first and I follow. We were going to sync up. Instead, we may ease in steps.

Once I quit, there is no coming back. Tech moves too fast.

"just don't die with too much money leftover"

This is definitely my approach. I have no objection to spending down my savings. My net worth is many times greater than the estate tax exemption so its better to spend it than give it to the gov't. [mod edit] I have no concerns about being "bored" in retirement. I'm so busy with wife, kids, hobbies its ridiculous. The issue for me is that I have a 43 year old wife and young kids. If my kids were older and in college I would already have moved full time to my Florida house. I've never known or even heard of anyone in my situation so I literally have nobody to discuss it with to see what their experience was.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once I'm out for a year or two it would be almost impossible to get back into what I do.

+1

I once had a coworker who saved up vacation for years so he could take his family on a cross-country "See America" trip. He was gone for three months.

I thought if I ever didn't have to go to w*rk for three months I'd be spoiled forever. Once I FIRE, I intend to spoil rapidly.

I'm kind of in the same boat. I'm going to pull the plug next year, and I think about the fact I know I am going to get a raise, and the job I have is pretty desirable by people in my field (and not easy for people to get). With that said, work is highly stressful and I know I am ready to do the semi-retired thing (working part-time contractual stuff). In making the decision, I know I have enough funds to cover my lifestyle as is. Any money earned in my semi-retired life will be to fund trips and little "niceties". I also have different interests and want to go in a completely different direction from what I have been doing for almost three decades.

I thought if I ever didn't have to go to w*rk for three months I'd be spoiled forever. Once I FIRE, I intend to spoil rapidly.

I had the same thought. I'm quite sure I could have negotiated a three-month sabbatical. But the more I thought about it, the more sure I was that I wouldn't want to come back. I still feel that way, 9 months later. YMMV.

I retired December 31, 2015. In the next year, my first retired, I lost 10 pounds without trying, rediscovered a hobby I loved as a teenager, spent a lot more time outdoors taking in sunlight and nature, did a larger share of housework and got points for it from DW, had time to research and implement cost saving steps and more. I regret nothing! Also I've been offered two jobs both part time. I declined the first, too many hours for too little pay. I've accepted the second but it hasn't started yet. I'm ambivalent about it but think it may work out well. We will see.

I've met anymber of people while vacationing in Hawaii that are clearly early retirees. I met two people at a beach/reef who volunteer to teach us tourists about snorkeling and about the fish. I was taking to a man in his sixties and found out he maintains a home in Ohio but just bought a condo locally to spend the winters. His daughter and grandkids live here. He mentioned he was retired for "many years." I shared that we were from California but moved to PA for the lower cost of living and better schools, allowing early retirement. That led to a high five. We're out there. Not every early retiree is on the forum.

With losing weight and lower blood pressure, I'm relaxed. Unless forced by economic circumstances, I could never go back. Health insurance is the only thing that could send me back to work.

Just semantics but I associate spoiling with something negative. In retirement, I see people blossoming into their natural selves. It is wonderful to behold...

Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything negative. I intend to evolve into a form so advanced it will be unsuitable to my original application of w*rking.

How about "metamorphose" instead of "spoil"?:)

Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything negative. I intend to evolve into a form so advanced it will be unsuitable to my original application of w*rking.

How about "metamorphose" instead of "spoil"?:)

Yeah, a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis sounds a lot better than mold growing on a mushroom. :)

Yeah, a butterfly emerging from a chrysalis sounds a lot better than mold growing on a mushroom. :)

An Alchemist's delight. :LOL:

@lem1955. Sincere good luck with the part-time work. The beauty of it is knowing you can take it or leave it.:cool:

I've been keeping a list of ideas myself for the things I am going to start working on once I leave the workforce. Fixing stuff around the house is definitely on the list. One item that I just remembered recently, a previously nearly finished non-fictional book I wrote in 2003. Time to finish that thing and get it published!

Back
Top Bottom