Has Scrooge been wrongly demonized?

I am cheap/frugal when it comes to spending on myself, but generous when it comes to spending on others.

Examples:

I get my hair cut at Great Clips, but I leave a generous tip for the person who cuts my hair.

I take my lunch to work 98% of the time, but I contribute a nice gift to each baby shower, wedding shower, etc. at work.

Regarding the OP, the only area in my life I refuse to be cheap is the heat. I spent decades with the thermostat down, and for my 60th birthday I decided I am "too damn old to be cold" any longer! :D :LOL:

When I am home, it is 72 during the day and 70 at night. Frugality be damned - I'm going to be toasty! I cut back in other areas to offset it (no cable, etc).

If I were your visitor, I would have rented a hotel room for my visit, and met you in well-heated venues - that's a win-win.

Oh, and I probably would have gifted you some nice warm socks. :D

Calico, this should make you feel better about how you treat yourself. My BF's dad is well off but is cheap to himself. Has given away 6 figures to my BF, his son, and freely gives to his church. BUT... Didnt turn the AC once last summer, and MO heat isnt life in San Diego. Boarded up two rooms because they are not needed and saves on heat bill in winter. Beef is too high to buy, but curiously he always has a brand new vehicle to drive. It probably is worth more than the house is. He is happy so that is all that matters.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's a widespread feeling that it's bad to be careful with money, mean, frugal.....to be like Scrouge in Christmas Carol. Of course it's bad to treat others unfairly and I see generosity to others as a positive character trait. But is it bad to be frugal when it comes to your own spending? Some people seem to think so. For example I keep my heating at 62F and a visiting friend recently said my house was cold and I was being "too mean", but I bumped the temperature up to 68F for her because I wanted her to be comfortable......it went back to 62F when she left.

The thing is I like being frugal. It's a sort of game to see how little I can spend and still be comfortable. So I cut the cable cord and found other ways to watch programs; I cook and bake a lot which is cheap, fun and tasty and now. I just had an unexpected $11k expense for new furnaces which consumed a third of this year's budget and I could dip into reserves, but I wonder if I can trim spending by 33%. I'm going to try and even if I only do 20% or 10% it will be worthwhile and an enjoyable challenge....I do actually mean enjoyable.

It's fine to have a hobby, and keeping spending down is one. As someone else stated, it can also become an obsession (so can many other activities), and that's not good. Do what you want, but pay attention to how you are perceived by others. If you start picking up the "crazy" vibe, you might want to step back and reconsider. And if you have friends who won't come by because your house is too cold, you might be starting to push the limit. Or maybe having hot flashes.

Sorry to say that my DW would be turning up the temp big time if she was with you...

Our temp downstairs is 74 and upstairs 72... really upstairs does not turn on much as the temp from downstairs does the job....

I do agree that if you want to be that frugal, then that is fine.... but if you kept the temp at 62, I would only come to your house once... I am not willing to come if it is that cold... my mother likes it very warm... like 78... she turns it down when I come over and back up when I leave... sure, it is YOUR house and you can keep it at any temp you like.... but if I am uncomfortable I also do not have to stay....

You miss my point. I turn the heat up when people visit so that they are comfortable. I try not to be frugal with my consideration for others.

It's fine to have a hobby, and keeping spending down is one. As someone else stated, it can also become an obsession (so can many other activities), and that's not good. Do what you want, but pay attention to how you are perceived by others. If you start picking up the "crazy" vibe, you might want to step back and reconsider. And if you have friends who won't come by because your house is too cold, you might be starting to push the limit. Or maybe having hot flashes.

I already have the crazy vibe with my friends because I retired early.

I've lived on the Canadian prairies my entire life and am no stranger to -40 with -55 wind chills. That being said, 62 is too cold in my house unless I'm on the treadmill.

But, as long as you're not cheap with others or making needless sacrifices, enjoy saving as much as you can.

I'm probably an outlier. I admire people who are frugal. Visiting with friends whose thermostat was turned down wouldn't bother me in the least. I understand the "hobby" nature of reducing expenses. It's an intellectual exercise and a personal challenge to some people, and it holds appeal for people who admire efficiency.

Calico, this should make you feel better about how you treat yourself. My BF's dad is well off but is cheap to himself. Has given away 6 figures to my BF, his son, and freely gives to his church. BUT... Didnt turn the AC once last summer, and MO heat isnt life in San Diego. Boarded up two rooms because they are not needed and saves on heat bill in winter. Beef is too high to buy, but curiously he always has a brand new vehicle to drive. It probably is worth more than the house is. He is happy so that is all that matters.

That's too extreme for me - I throw caution to the winds and heat EVERY room in my small house. Oh, the horror! :LOL:

I'm all about happy mediums these days.

Personal frugality is fine as long as you don't impose it on others. Turn the heat up for visitors. Don't cheap out (skipping appetizers, drinks) when at a group dinner out, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I'm all for LBYM. But I have to be physically comfortable. I can't deal with living in less then 74 degrees. Anything below that I cannot function. The sleeping level is at 69 degrees though. we heat with gas and my budget gas bill is only 41 per month right now. I can hang my frugal hat on that I guess. As far as saving money, I'd rather live in a 2100 sq ft home at 74/69 degrees than a 3500 sq ft home at 64 degrees. That, and I don't want to deal with SWMBO (oops, I meant DW). I also have one of the lowest electric bills in my area according to the electric company. Except at Christmas time with all the lights, or when I heat my garage for working on a project. There, I keep it at 55-60 degrees when I'm in there. I do wish I had a gas heater in the garage though.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with being extremely frugal with your own living arrangements. Why should it bother you or anyone else?

I think about the guy who died last year in Vermont. Worked at a gas station and was described as extremely frugal (and in Vermont that's saying something). Left millions to local worthy causes. He was happy, lived life on his own terms, and did a lot of good with what he didn't spend on himself.

Here's how a janitor amassed an $8M fortune

You miss my point. I turn the heat up when people visit so that they are comfortable. I try not to be frugal with my consideration for others.

But according to your first post you didn't turn up the heat until your visitor commented on it.
I have a friend that keeps her house very cool in winter. I never say anything about it. I just dress warm. When she come to my house she makes an elaborate gesture of taking off her coat and saying "whew". She claims she never comments about how "hot" other peoples homes are. I don't think my friend's mean. She's frugal and likes it cooler. She also doesn't like you to wear your shoes in the house because you'll get her carpet dirty or scuff the wood floors. She is my friend and you take your friends warts and all.

OK, thanks for the pointing that out... you did say you turned it up for your friend, but I do not remember you saying you did it before she arrived...

You might be like one of my sisters... lives up in Oregon in the mountains and has no problem with it being in the 50s inside... the rest of the family who still live down south do....

Personal frugality is fine as long as you don't impose it on others. Turn the heat up for visitors. Don't cheap out (skipping appetizers, drinks) when at a group dinner out, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Except that is not imposing it on others.... why should I pay for an appetizer or a drink if I do not want one:confused: Just to fit in? Nope....

I am also not a big fan of everybody go out and order anything you want and split it equally between the people... there was one time that happened when I worked in the UK and the bill came out to be about 150 pounds per person... some people did not have the money which meant other had to pick up the slack... (we are talking lower paid people here).... it was a big surprise, but people just kept on order stuff....

I am also not a big fan of everybody go out and order anything you want and split it equally between the people... there was one time that happened when I worked in the UK and the bill came out to be about 150 pounds per person... some people did not have the money which meant other had to pick up the slack... (we are talking lower paid people here).... it was a big surprise, but people just kept on order stuff....

I used to work at a place that had a few big drinkers who easily consumed on alcoholic beverages alone twice what I spent on an entire lunch out, they always wanted to split the bill equally. :nonono: After the first time, I kept track of what my meal and drink cost, added a generous tip, and tossed in just that amount. After the third time, I avoided this group entirely and went to lunch with a colleague who supported a wife and three kids. He was always very frugal :)

That's too extreme for me - I throw caution to the winds and heat EVERY room in my small house. Oh, the horror! :LOL:

I'm all about happy mediums these days.

I have been retired 6 years. When I first retired in winter thermostat was 69 in winter and 75 summer. Now its up to 72 winter and 73 summer. Whats funny is although my best friends dad wont even turn a/c in summer, he sets his at 59 degrees at night during summer. His poor wife freezes to death at night in summer.

I'd probably put the temp on 62-64 if it was just me, but there's a wife involved that screams when it goes below 68 (unless she's working out or doing chores). So I acquiesce and don't worry about the extra $100-200 we spend each year on heating.

I find frugality to be like a game too - I'm always optimizing somehow. If it's tedious I don't fret over pennies or dollars but I love nothing more than figuring out how to spend a fraction of what most spend and still get adequate service or products (like free cell phones, free home phone, nearly free TV entertainment, dirt cheap PC/video games, tablets 1/10th the cost of ipads, etc).

I'd probably not go out routinely with people that wanted to order all kinds of stuff at a restaurant. I value the time with others, not getting smashed and overindulging (when I'm paying full price).

Maybe that makes me cheap/mean/scrooge-like.

I prefer to host dinner parties, give away food and drink (usually some decent beer, wines, champagne, top shelf liquor), and have a good time. I probably spend no more hosting 10-15 people than I would at one of those dinners out at a swanky restaurant ordering a bunch of apps and drinks and splitting the tab for DW and me with others at the table. And we can hang out for many hours instead of just 1-2 at a restaurant.

Don't cheap out (skipping appetizers, drinks) when at a group dinner out, etc.
Skipping appetizers and drinks is a personal choice and not something I'm imposing on other people (and really something the doctor prescribed - light meals and avoid alcohol). I really don't see how this is considered bad form.

Mind, usually when we get together to eat out, only one person/family pays. The others pick the tab on the next get together. For the most part, everything evens out.

I think scrooge was fine living his life before. If Bob didn't like his job he could quit, not scrooges fault he had kids he couldn't support. If he doesn't want to spend on himself or others he doesn't have to. He was right they had poor houses for the poor he didn't need to support them. I don't hand out money to bums either and don't pay more generously than needed when I hire people. I do what I want with my money and can be cheap, frugal or generous but have trouble with wasteful or taken advantage of and only help those who help themselves.
People can get caught up in supporting all the people they know because they started it, some still support able bodied children that are over 30 because the children decided to not have a career before having children and need a good lifestyle even if they live off parents who can't save for retirement.

I think the problem Scrooge had was lack of a support group. If he'd had access to this forum he probably wouldn't have changed even after the ghostly visitations. He'd have just posted about it and gotten dozens of posts telling him it was just an undigested bit of beef.

I think scrooge was fine living his life before. If Bob didn't like his job he could quit, not scrooges fault he had kids he couldn't support. If he doesn't want to spend on himself or others he doesn't have to. He was right they had poor houses for the poor he didn't need to support them. ..........
If you ever get tired of retirement, there is a future for you in politics.

But according to your first post you didn't turn up the heat until your visitor commented on it.

That's true, I had not anticipated the cold snap we had or that she would be cold. As soon as she mentioned the temperature I turned it up and it stayed up for the week she stayed with me.

I have been retired 6 years. When I first retired in winter thermostat was 69 in winter and 75 summer. Now its up to 72 winter and 73 summer. Whats funny is although my best friends dad wont even turn a/c in summer, he sets his at 59 degrees at night during summer. His poor wife freezes to death at night in summer.

I don't have central A/C, I have a window unit in the bedroom that is set to 68 I I use fans in other rooms. I live in the north east so it's only really hot an humid for a few weeks.

I don't have central A/C, I have a window unit in the bedroom that is set to 68 I I use fans in other rooms. I live in the north east so it's only really hot an humid for a few weeks.

That is my one nod to frugality. During summer I install a bed room
A/C unit and blast it all night and shut off central air. Saves quite a bit on energy bill. However, I am not a big fan of bugs, and them little boogers can squeeze through every crevice around it and in it. So I may ditch it this year. I do not like unannounced "guests" in my home. :)

Back
Top Bottom