Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 08:53 AM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 7,451
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
So which brand of water bottle won the most? Inquisitive people need to know...

(I always have a bottle of high end vodka for guests who prefer it served on ice or with a dash of water.)
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 09:03 AM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
flintnational's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Atlanta Suburb
Posts: 1,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
So which brand of water bottle won the most? Inquisitive people need to know...

(I always have a bottle of high end vodka for guests who prefer it served on ice or with a dash of water.)
Years ago I kept a bottle of stoli in the freezer to make dirty martinis. Then I decided i liked dirty martinis a little to much. We don't keep vodka anymore.
__________________
"Oh, twice as much ain't twice as good
And can't sustain like one half could
It's wanting more that's gonna send me to my knees" - John Mayer
flintnational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alberta/Ontario/ Arizona
Posts: 3,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Yes I did, thank you! Groceries $40, wine $15, lunch with friends $25, flu shot.... oh wait, my flu shot was free!
Yes, I also got my free flu shot yesterday. More than made up for this “freeness” at wine store though. Our favourite Chardonnay (Rombauer) which we bought last week at Costco in Scottsdale for $29.95 was over $61 in Canmore. Yikes, got something a little cheaper, J Lohr and La Crema.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #144
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 7,451
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Yes, I also got my free flu shot yesterday. More than made up for this “freeness” at wine store though. Our favourite Chardonnay (Rombauer) which we bought last week at Costco in Scottsdale for $29.95 was over $61 in Canmore. Yikes, got something a little cheaper, J Lohr and La Crema.
So you paid for a part of your "free" flu shot. Good for you.

(I took a pass on the shot this year and then heard that its effectiveness is in question.)
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
So you paid for a part of your "free" flu shot. Good for you.

(I took a pass on the shot this year and then heard that its effectiveness is in question.)
Its effectiveness is always in question. It’s an educated guess which three strains to include the the vaccine, and sometimes there are gotchas. But I will be travelling over the holidays and long flights are one of the most efficient flu transmission environments. I will be using lots of hand sanitizer too.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #146
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
kcowan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pacific latitude 20/49
Posts: 7,451
Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
But I will be travelling over the holidays and long flights are one of the most efficient flu transmission environments. I will be using lots of hand sanitizer too.
Do you use the forced air at your seat? I often wonder if that spreads the germs quicker.
__________________
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
GravitySucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Syracuse
Posts: 3,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
It’s effectiveness is always in question. It’s an educated guess which three strains to include the the vaccine, and sometimes there are gotchas. But I will be travelling over the holidays and long flights are one of the most efficient flu transmission environments. I will be using lots of hand sanitizer too.


Just finished jury duty... Small room with 15 other people.
No flu but a darn good cold.

Planning on bumping spending next year as access to my tIRA becomes available, not due to the wealth effect. But since my fixed expenses also go down next year I'll probably stay near the same.
__________________
“No, not rich. I am a poor man with money, which is not the same thing"
GravitySucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:22 AM   #148
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Do you use the forced air at your seat? I often wonder if that spreads the germs quicker.
I haven’t seen any evidence to support that, but it seems plausible. I do try to avoid using forced air but there are times when it’s just too hot not to.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #149
Moderator
Walt34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern WV Panhandle
Posts: 22,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
Do you use the forced air at your seat? I often wonder if that spreads the germs quicker.
While some of the cabin air is recycled the air from the vents also comes from fresh air from outside (after it's been warmed and compressed by the engines). So the vent air would be somewhat diluted. That might help, but not by much.
__________________
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #150
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 29,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Hope you found something nice and appealing to you when you were out spending money!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Yes I did, thank you! Groceries $40, wine $15, lunch with friends $25, flu shot.... oh wait, my flu shot was free!
We were just back from a grocery errand to "spend money". Found a good deal on lamb short loin, so bought two. My sister-in-law who happened to drop by came along with us to the market, and she bought four. Now, I will have to learn how to cut them into loin chops.

I am all stocked up now, with a leg of lamb and a full rack still in the freezer. I like to cook and to share, but only my son-in-law and the husband of the neighbor couple up in the boonies home eat lamb, so these will last for a bit.

Food is not expensive in the US compared to whatever else, and I can only eat so much. It is reassuring to know that even if the market went down the tube, I should not have to worry about food cost. I do not need more than this to keep myself content. Life is darn good.
__________________
"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #151
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ugeauxgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Rural Alabama
Posts: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
So which brand of water bottle won the most? Inquisitive people need to know...

(I always have a bottle of high end vodka for guests who prefer it served on ice or with a dash of water.)
According to the kids, Dasani works best because of the shape and stiffness of the bottle.

We ARE willing to pay more for bourbon, which we mostly drink without mixers, but I drink vodka when my allergies are bad (it doesn't aggravate them) and since I'm going to put cranberry juice or something else in it, the brand makes no difference at all. My friends are all bourbon or beer drinkers- I'm the only one who drinks it here.
__________________
Projected retirement--2020 at age 48 (done!)
ugeauxgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #152
Moderator Emeritus
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 45,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Food is not expensive in the US compared to whatever else, and I can only eat so much. It is reassuring to know that even if the market went down the tube, I should not have to worry about food cost. I do not need more than this to keep myself content. Life is darn good.
Food cost would not be much. Don't forget property taxes. And yes, life is darn good and seems to get better for me as I grow older.
__________________
Happily retired since 2009, at age 61.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #153
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 30,446
I’ve never gotten a flu shot before, but will be flying on the 19th and maybe I should get a shot. Hopefully that’s long enough time to establish immunity.

Hmmm 2 weeks, but if I do it tomorrow I’ll have a 11-12 days. Probably good enough.
__________________
Retired since summer 1999.
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #154
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Food cost would not be much. Don't forget property taxes. And yes, life is darn good and seems to get better for me as I grow older.
In Oregon, once one gets to ahem! the proper age, property taxes will be deferred until transition to greener pastures if one is unable to pay so I suppose as long as SS covers the cost of food and utilities in a paid up house in Oregon party on! ( I suspect other states may have similar provisions)
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:04 PM   #155
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 29,850
OK, you made me look again.

Here in AZ, for seniors there's property tax freeze, then property tax reduction, then property tax deferral. These are in increasing value for the senior, in increasing level of financial hardships.

However, if we defer SS till 70, we will get more than $73K/year, in today's dollars. That's way above the income to qualify for any of the above treatments.

Here, the RE tax is only about $600/yr for each $100K of the home market value. Just give me my SS, and I will gladly pay RE taxes. I still have plenty left to eat lamb chops, then to drink Cognac after the meal.
__________________
"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #156
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,517
Oh, let's take a look/ Woops two properties, no senior discount. And no deduction......
__________________
Took SS at 62 and hope I live long enough to regret the decision.
foxfirev5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:03 PM   #157
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 6,854
Taxes are not something I worry about.
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:05 PM   #158
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 2,228
no... my retirement spending model assumes that the rate of return on my nut will be around 18% per year, which is what I plan on.

The poverty effect may kick in if there is a correction.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #159
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RobbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Central CA
Posts: 6,854
Yeah, good answer, me too!
__________________
Retired at 59 in 2014. Should have done it sooner but I worried too much.
RobbieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:10 PM   #160
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
OK, you made me look again.

Here in AZ, for seniors there's property tax freeze, then property tax reduction, then property tax deferral. These are in increasing value for the senior, in increasing level of financial hardships.

However, if we defer SS till 70, we will get more than $73K/year, in today's dollars. That's way above the income to qualify for any of the above treatments.

Here, the RE tax is only about $600/yr for each $100K of the home market value. Just give me my SS, and I will gladly pay RE taxes. I still have plenty left to eat lamb chops, then to drink Cognac after the meal.
Aha! All the more reason to take SS at 62 as we both did! I Just love to contribute to the SS at 62 vs 70 debate whenever I can
Oregon has limits of about $45K for income and 1/2 million dollars or so for NW so if I happen to need the program I suspect I'll qualify. I hope I don't ever need to...
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experts - Has your view changed? Mysto FIRE and Money 33 06-16-2010 12:17 AM
Has anyones plan changed? bitteroot FIRE and Money 18 03-19-2009 09:16 PM
Poll: how has your net worth changed since market highs? free4now FIRE and Money 115 03-23-2008 08:46 PM
Has anyone changed to Hartford? dessert FIRE and Money 17 02-18-2007 09:41 PM
are you FI or at least half way there and has your attitude changed toward work? maddythebeagle Young Dreamers 35 11-12-2006 01:01 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:51 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.