Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2014, 05:13 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I would be blue at this inside temperature.
Yes, sometimes it makes me sad, too. Then I put on another layer.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 05:28 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would be blue at this inside temperature
65 degree burr. My house is several degrees cooler than rest of Honolulu, so it may have dipped below there but so far stayed above 65. It looks like 64 will be the low this Wed. time to drag out my ski parka.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only thing that we spend money on is travel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-20-2014, 05:40 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

We haven't bumped up our fun spending. In fact it's down quite a bit from when I quit working. We moved to the West Coast 2 years ago and our housing costs have gone way up while our fun spending has gone way down. Yet we do more fun stuff now! The beach is free. Hiking is free. Many events in the city are free.

P.S. I wish I could bring the temperature in our condo down to 65 (my ideal sleeping temperature)... But it's January and even with the windows opened all night, we can't bring the temperature down to 65!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #45
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
I would be blue at this inside temperature
60F in Ohio, 65F in Florida.
Old 01-31-2014, 12:50 PM   #46

Yeah ... new car, trip to Costa Rica (done), trip to Alaska (planned & paid for), and other frivolous items. Pura Vida.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 04:57 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Yeah ... new car, trip to Costa Rica (done), trip to Alaska (planned & paid for), and other frivolous items. Pura Vida.
I am ahead of ya bought a new truck, went to Costa Rica last winter, Alaska for 2 weeks in June, cruising Hawaii very soon, working on the Galapagos Islands already.🐢

Old 01-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
I am ahead of ya bought a new truck, went to Costa Rica last winter, Alaska for 2 weeks in June, cruising Hawaii very soon, working on the Galapagos Islands already.🐢

... parallel universe does exist! Just put Galapagos in my bucket list recently after reading another thread.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:39 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I have bumped the thermostat up to 74 lately, 75 at bedtime, and still I need my trusty wool socks to keep my feet warm. I never used to keep the house this warm. The older I get, the more sensitive to cold I seem to be. My last natural gas (heating) bill was $51, which I think is the highest it has ever been.

I think I'll file this under, "reasons why staying in New Orleans might not have been such a bad idea, after all"....
Me too. Born in New Orleans, I have no problem with heat and humidity. I've lived in places where it gets very cold and just dealt with it. That was when I was younger. Now, I just hate it and my thermostadt is up, too. We have had a real winter this year here in the Metroplex. In summer I hear many locals whining about the heat. Not me.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:46 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I think moving into a penthouse in 1997 was the most outrageous unplanned expense.

An unplanned benefit was a heightened desire to eat in and entertain at home.

Plus now we can rent it easily while we escape winter in Mexico.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess I would have to say "yes". Recently we went to an Eagles concert:

$362 (2) tickets
$ 80 Dinner out
$ 8 Parking (before and during dinner)
$ 25 Parking at the concert venue
$475 TOTAL for one night out

They've lost a little in the vocals area, but were still pretty darn good considering they're a bunch of old guys and they can all still flat out play. It was an awesome concert and and awesome evening.

Now to pick the next artist/group that we want to see.
misty57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:53 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43 View Post
Me too. Born in New Orleans, I have no problem with heat and humidity. I've lived in places where it gets very cold and just dealt with it. That was when I was younger. Now, I just hate it and my thermostadt is up, too. We have had a real winter this year here in the Metroplex. In summer I hear many locals whining about the heat. Not me.
You know exactly what I mean, then! I love the climate here, even though by the end of September each year I am ready for summer to end. Right now it is 71F outside, and not even noon yet. Still a little chilly but I am sure the northerners here would not think that was the case.

I am so glad that last week's hard freezes, sleet, and cold are gone for a while. That was brutal!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:06 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You know exactly what I mean, then! I love the climate here, even though by the end of September each year I am ready for summer to end. Right now it is 71F outside, and not even noon yet. Still a little chilly but I am sure the northerners here would not think that was the case.

I am so glad that last week's hard freezes, sleet, and cold are gone for a while. That was brutal!
It is a beautiful day here compared to the winter we have been having so far. When it got up to 48 degrees we went for a 45 min walk and it was so nice with the sun shining. You would have frozen!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 05:57 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I wouldn't call the process "fun", but we waited til after retirement to drop a bundle on a needed new kitchen. Now that it's complete, NOW it's fun.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Hmmmm - current car is 9 years old. I started evaluating my options today!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 PM   #56

Well after an inkling of a little bit of tinitus (64 this year) I bought a new tube amplifier and large panel speakers - It's now or never! (had been thinking about it for years)
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

All right! These are the kind of things that one should enjoy while he still can.

Are these speakers electrostatic? I have read that their principle of operation allows the lowest distortion in music reproduction, compared to the common electromagnetic speakers. However, I have not listened to one.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:41 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
All right! These are the kind of things that one should enjoy while he still can.

Are these speakers electrostatic? I have read that their principle of operation allows the lowest distortion in music reproduction, compared to the common electromagnetic speakers. However, I have not listened to one.
No, they are planar-magnetic http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_16

Amazing sound
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post

Amazing sound
One of my perennial favorites! I currently have their "desktop" system combined with a small SVS subwoofer and an old Carver amp that's great for music while I'm on the computer, or even better for video games.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 12:42 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post

Amazing sound
I've also got the Maggie 1.6QRs, purchased shortly after the first reviews came out, summer 2000.

I had shopped on/off for new speakers, but always came away confused over which sounded best, and analysis paralysis set in. I read these reviews, which were outstanding for a speaker in that price range. I loved them when I heard them. So transparent. Been very happy with them.

They are similar to electro-statics, in that both are 'planar' speakers. Basically, almost the entire front surface of the speaker moves. It is a thin mylar sheet, with copper traces imprinted on it. A magnet array is all across the back. With so much surface area, it barely moves, so it can be more linear in that it isn't moving far away from the magnetic field. A standard driver is moving much more distance, as it is smaller so has to pump the air further for the same volume. Not having high voltages floating around like an electro-static is an advantage.

Fantastic speakers, IMO (and many others).

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote