Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How about going back to the main topic of this thread. Or tell us how much fun spending you are doing on audio stuff.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
How about going back to the main topic of this thread. Or tell us how much fun spending you are doing on audio stuff.
Agreed, I was thinking that also. We got a little carried away:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1417155

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:11 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Agreed, I was thinking that also. We got a little carried away:

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1417155

-ERD50
Thank you. This thread was getting a little tedious for non-audiophiles. FWIW I still have the stereo I bought in Kmart in 1986. It's good enough for me as my hearing is bad.

I have bumped up my travel budget following my first year of ER. I overspent my travel budget in 2013 but underspent in other categories. When my car is paid off 18 months from now, I will probably bump up my travel budget again. I am finding that I have little desire for "stuff" and more for experiences.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 PM   #104
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

ER is still a few years off for me, with a floating target of 2016-2020. But I figured I'd still bump up the fun spending a bit this year, and try to enjoy life along the way, while still w*rking.

Starting in 2011, I've been going to Aruba for a week, every November. Probably about the most extravagant vacation I've ever had, with the exception of maybe 1994 when I went to Paris with my two best friends once we all graduated college, or back in the 70's and 80's when I went on long camping trips with my grandparents.

Well, for 2014 I figured I'd bump it up a bit, to TWO weeks in Aruba! I probably should get out and see places other than Aruba, just to get more variety, but I do like that place...it's easy to get through customs, the people are friendly, and it's easy to get around even when you're not very good at any language other than English. It always seems like one week in Aruba is never enough, and goes by way too quickly. But I wonder if, after two weeks, I'll be sick of the place? And possibly, sick of my travel companions, as well?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:34 PM   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Every other week cleaning lady.

Paid to have both cars detailed last fall. Both covered in salt now, inside and out. Grrrr.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:30 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Sorry that I tend to get carried away, and I realize now it's not the 1st time. I have done that with RV'ing earlier.

Anyway, I started to tell how I have revived a past interest in my youth, and it does not really cost a lot of money. It takes a bit of time, and that should be what retirees now have more of. I am sure other people have similar hobbies that they can now spend more time pursuing: gardening, sewing, biking, etc...

About the only thing that costs a lot of money for me is travel. Anything else is only a couple of grands at most, and that can keep me occupied for a long time.

The point is that we do not necessarily have to spend a lot of money. It's the available time that can be spent on an hobby that allows us to get into more depth in any activity than when we were still working. One can spend the time to learn to prepare and cook a special dish to perfection, for example. That does not take any additional money, as we already have to eat.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Spending money on fun stuff.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:53 AM   #107
Dryer sheet aficionado

Spending money on fun stuff.

Retired in spring of 2009 and decided we would not spend the whole winter in Ohio again. We are now in Sanibel Island for the month of February and do not regret spending our money. Compare weather between the two places and you see why. Planning on coming back next year maybe for two months.
golfersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

A few people have mentioned that buying stuff and spending is not important to have fun. I totally agree and like to be conservative in spending.

I started this thread as a counterpoint to some of the frugal threads and the SWR fear postings. If the analysis says you can spend X% and you are on one of those up-and-to-the-right curves we see in FIRECalc, then why not spend that X% ?

If your portfolio is growing and your plan says to spend X%, then you should feel guiltless in spending it. Plus it helps others through more or fuller employment so you are doing a social good.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #109
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersailor View Post
Retired in spring of 2009 and decided we would not spend the whole winter in Ohio again. We are now in Sanibel Island for the month of February and do not regret spending our money. Compare weather between the two places and you see why. Planning on coming back next year maybe for two months.
If you decide on two months I would suggest Feb & March . January is usually an iffy month in Florida .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #110
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfersailor View Post
Spent 6 weeks on Pine Island; should have stayed until March.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:02 PM   #111
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Didn't realize there was an audiophile thread; from God's lip to my ears.

However, I think some is on topic--and the payback on audiophile equipment (or similar expenses) for me is usually 10-20 years of enjoyment.

I'm not dissing travel; in June, we're going hiking in the English Lake District to celebrate our 30th and meet with our youngest in London at the end. But that's a one time splurge. I can play Miles's Kind of Blue a 1000 times with the audio equipment, so the longterm payback is better. Different strokes. . .

(On splurging on audio/video. . . I bought a high end Sony receiver for the upstairs study 3 months ago to replace the decidedly low-end Sherwood amp up here that I'd used for 10 years. Good investment. And a 100 dollar Blue Ray to run through the amp. The Jamo's I bought at close out for 299 a couple years ago, with a center and two surrounds which I gave to my youngest when he moved to Seattle. With the new amp, I can biamp them and they really shine. They sounded just decent with the Sherwood. And I bought another pair of Sennheiser headphones when my wife goes to bed early as she often does. Kind of penny-ante splurges compared to travel, actually.)

Finally, the real question is whether to replace the 2010 Outback with a new model (or Forrester) in June if my wife gets a bonus, in hopes of having a vehicle that will last 8-10 years of retirement or whether to keep the Outback another 4 years. If she gets the bonus, we'll probably splurge on the replacement, with the aim of not getting another vehicle for 10 years in FIRE. If replaced, we'll probably sell the older Outback to our oldest at a considerable discount, as a reliable AWD vehicle particularly for the drives to Colorado for skiing. We worry about him, his fiancee, and our youngest driving from Cali to Colorado a couple times a year.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote