Join Early Retirement Today

Have you bumped up fun spending?
Old 01-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

After 5 good stock market years we are spending quite a bit more now on discretionary (fun) stuff. By discretionary I mean things like larger cost house improvements, travel, furniture, eating out more, etc. I try to have fun and resist the urge to conserve and the initial emotional guilt that might come with spending on fun things.

Also we have much lower expenses on the base living costs now. DS is out of college and earning his living, we have SS, medical is less then it used to be for us. I target now for overall 3.3% (of portfolio) spending.

My regularly updated spreadsheet points to us spending about 1.5% of our portfolio on discretionary stuff in 2014. Last year we spent at about this level but a third of it went to helping DS get started.

Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Yep, fun spending has been bumped way up, but on travel mostly. It would be very hard for us to eat out more.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely. 14 day Caribbean cruise over Christmas. Leaving tomorrow for 7 weeks in Thailand. Australia/Fijii cruise booked for next winter. And there will be something in the fall if I can convince DW to go.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We spent a fair amount last year on home renovations to freshen up the house. I'm not sure I would refer to it as "fun", but once it was done, we were pleased with the results.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I just bought a Concept2 Model D rowing machine about 10 minutes ago. So, my answer is an unqualified YES!!! And I am having fun doing it. Last year I bought a nice 55" Panasonic TV and stand to go in my home gym room, so I am keeping up my end in supporting the world economy, mostly in expanding my home gym.

I know I am not overspending because my baseline was on the way-too-thrifty side. I would not suggest spending more than one's plan allows.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
We spent a fair amount last year on home renovations to freshen up the house. I'm not sure I would refer to it as "fun", but once it was done, we were pleased with the results.
Doing the due diligence can be trying and not fun at all. As you say, getting to live with the results is the fun.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I just bought a Concept2 Model D rowing machine about 10 minutes ago. So, my answer is an unqualified YES!!! And I am having fun doing it. Last year I bought a nice 55" Panasonic TV and stand to go in my home gym room, so I am keeping up my end in supporting the world economy, mostly in expanding my home gym.

I know I am not overspending because my baseline was on the way-too-thrifty side. I would not suggest spending more than one's plan allows.
Glad you are "stepping out" there W2R. Those big TV's can be fun viewing. Sometimes I'm bowled over by the intense colors.
Old 01-18-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Against my better judgement, I probably just went totally crazy with fun spending (yesterday), but I'll leave it at that for now...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I'm treating 8 friends to a beach vacation. I also bought a "new" old acoustic guitar that I intend to play at the beach. My spending has increased, but I lived like a pauper while working.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:57 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Oh yes...

Even though we keep an eye on our spending, we are looking more to what gives us pleasure. Time seems to be flying by...we're gonna enjoy it while we can.
Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I've turned the heat up to 65 degrees for the winter.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

In my first 6 months of ER I've cut spending. My plan says I can spend considerably more than I am, but I'm too early in the journey and still in the gun-shy phase.
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My most expensive indulgence was the 2nd home up at 7000 ft for us to escape the summer heat, and I bought it 7 years ago. Other than that, the largest discretionary item in my list would be travel expense, meaning overseas travel in addition to domestic RV'ing. But I am not a perpetual traveler, so even that is self-limiting. I do not see what else that would bring me pleasure. And that's a good thing as I am trying to stay within 3.5% WR.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:39 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Compared to you we're wild spenders! 78° F here. When the house was built we paid for extra insulation and house wrap knowing that we like it warm. Also a major consideration when we bought was natural gas heat. And I'm still wearing thermals and a long sleeve shirt.
Old 01-18-2014, 05:31 PM   #15
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Much air travel, and setting up for marriage and move in next year or so. Expenses will go down with one combined household.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
+5
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

It has been drunken sailor spending the last year for me. New roof, new solar, new electrical all this for the new Tesla. Now a kitchen remodel which I'm about 1/2 way done spending for, but the work is just starting.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Looks like posters here have done their share of stimulating the economy. Excellent! We need to keep that money flowing. Instead of the money being stagnate in our accounts, let it flow to the tourist industry, our subcontractors, our restaurateurs, etc...

Voluntary wealth distribution is much preferred to involuntary ones. In fact, it is an exchange, not strictly a distribution. Besides, you cannot take it with you.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We're up to 65 on weekends and Mon-Fri when we're both home & awake - 6 hrs/day, but still 62 for the other 18 hrs/day. Brrrrrrrrr...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We're up to 65 on weekends and Mon-Fri when we're both home & awake - 6 hrs/day, but still 62 for the other 18 hrs/day. Brrrrrrrrr...
You are tougher than I am. It's just not worth it to me. Each year I guess my skin gets thinner. I'm up to 71 and 68 while sleeping. I live in cold MO and including a subzero stretch a couple weeks ago, the monthly heat bill was $125 ( natural gas ). I am kind of a tight wad, but $3 a day to stay comfortably warm is cheap to me!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote