Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had to unfreeze my credit when I switched to T-Mobile cell phone. I had printed out the pin when I froze my credit, so no problem to that it. When I went to buy a car and write check for the car, the dealer needed to unfreeze my credit before they would accept the check. I wasn't prepared for that with the pin in hand, so didn't end up buying the car . I could have called the Credit bureau and dealt with it, but I didn't like the fact the dealer wouldn't call my bank. Still don't have a new car....
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Me too. When switching to Sprint. Unfreeze can be pain sometimes.
retired1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I needed to unfreeze at least one last year to open one of these social security MyAccounts. I couldn't get the SS account thing to work. I was thinking that SS just had a crappy system but after some research found that the way they verify you online with their list of questions is to hit your credit accounts. Fortunately the SS office in this town is about 2 1/2 miles down the road so I went in person with birth cert, DD-214, driver's license.
When I tried to see my history on line, social security denied that I was me.

I did call. The person online confirmed that I was getting credit for my earnings, but didn't have info about the online system.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:15 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
^^^^ if you are not online, they should be sending you paper every 5 years showing your contributions.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:30 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

To make it easier you can just get a alert. I had a storage unit broken into years ago where they broke open a file cabinet that has some personal info in it. I called the automated Experian phone number from online and went through the automated questions. It was something like do you think you are a victim of fraud press blank and so on. What it does is put a alert on your account that no one can get credit in your name unless Experian or the other 2 call the phone number you provided during the automated deal. Then a live person will ask you if you are applying for credit at so and so. If i say no then they stop the credit approval if i say yes they ask me a series of questions some of which are on my credit report some are ones i picked from a list. If i answer correctly i get approved if not i get denied. They shared this alert with all 3 credit agencies. Before this year it was a 90 day alert that i had to renew every 90 days and never cost a dime. This year it is still free but lasts for 1 year. When i am at a store and purchase something and find out i can get a discount or no interest if i open a credit card i go ahead and apply. The sales rep will put in my info into the computer and within a couple of minutes i get a phone call and answer the questions then seconds later i am approved. Less hassle than what it sounds like you guys are going through.
hopefullyoneday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:00 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Bottom line is that 2 worked painlessly, and one (Equifax) was a pain.
Going for a card with a monster sign-up bonus and thawed 2 painlessly, but, again Equifax didn't work. When I tried to sign-in, it says "We are temporarily unable to complete this request.Please try again later." I kind of doubt it will work "later" either . On the 18 minute call with Equifax last time, I was assured "it will work online next time".

The good news is that with just 2 thawed, I was immediately approved for the card, so now I just spend $3000 on it in the first 3 months to earn the $500 worth of travel.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:23 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

After years of credit freeze, I had the need to unfreeze when purchasing a Toyota. Despite my paying all cash, the dealer claimed their procedures required a credit check. Somehow, on one of the three sites I could not find my pin#. That was a pain in the butt requiring a couple hours of telephone and email buffoonery. Moral of this story, don't lose your pins#!
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:54 AM   #28

Quote:
... again Equifax didn't work. When I tried to sign-in, it says "We are temporarily unable to complete this request.Please try again later." I kind of doubt it will work "later" either . On the 18 minute call with Equifax last time, I was assured "it will work online next time".
Still doesn't work today. Is it just me, or can anyone else log into equifax on "https://www.equifax.com/personal/credit-report-services/" and thaw online? I don't even get logged on, so you could just try to log on (if you have created an account).

I do use a spamgourmet email address with them, since we know they can't be trusted with personal information. I suppose that could be throwing a wrench in it. When I click the password reset button, I don't get an email either, and it's not logged as coming through spamgourmet either.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I froze mine over a dozen years ago and it was one of the best things I ever did. My former employer, the DoD, compromised my information at least 3 times. They, like all others, claimed they took protecting personally identifiable information “seriously”, but their actions proved otherwise. I quickly learned that freezing really worked when my clearance was up for its renewal and the investigative service called me to please unfreeze so my credit could be checked. Unfreezing and refreezing has not been an issue. The only problem I had was when my homeowners insurance bill more than doubled over the prior year. It turns out my credit was tier 1 and the new policy was based on tier 21 (I have no idea of the tier/point ranges). When I temporarily unfroze my credit, the corrected bill was close to what I was paying. When getting quotes for auto & home insurance, you might want to unfreeze for the period that you are shopping for insurance.
retiredunder50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Have You Freezed/Unfreezed Your Credit Yet?
Old 02-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
After years of credit freeze, I had the need to unfreeze when purchasing a Toyota. Despite my paying all cash, the dealer claimed their procedures required a credit check. Somehow, on one of the three sites I could not find my pin#. That was a pain in the butt requiring a couple hours of telephone and email buffoonery. Moral of this story, don't lose your pins#!

We went through the same thing....credit check even though we were paying cash. I told them our credit was frozen and I didn’t have the necessary keys handy to unfreeze, so I “didn’t know what they were going to do about it” [emoji16]

Took them about an hour but they came back and said we were approved. I think they found some obscure credit bureau to clear us through, as were only locked down in the Big 3.

They want to sell the car bad enough, they’ll figure it out [emoji14]
KM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Last year I had the same experience with a car dealer. The money guy insisted I allow a credit check. I insisted that, since I was paying cash, my credit score was irrelevant. He would not budge. I asked to speak to the general manager and informed him that he had a decision to make - no credit check or lose a $40K sale. Guess what? He decided that they really didn't need a credit check after all. Threatening to walk away works wonders. And be prepared to do so. Refuse to be bullied by idiots who are following a script.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
Do you mean SS needs access to your credit?

But wait, my VISA tells me my credit score every few weeks. Do they not have access to it since I froze all three or do they have access regardless of freeze since I opened that CC before I froze?
I froze all 3 credit bureaus last year when my indent was stolen. I have decided that I will never need nor use credit again as my next move will be to the " home" where my only concern will be someone changing out the drool cup.... I pay cash for cars and already have all of the credit cards Ill ever need ( Amex and a debit)

I did find out that you can not sign up ONLINE for the MySocialSecurity thing when you have frozen the accounts and had to go to the local office. It was a snap doing it at the office and I have been able to do everything else online no problems. Like someone said they could care less about your credit score but need to access the security info contained in the credit file. (This is flaw that needs to be fixed).

When you freeze your files you will get a little note saying that existing creditors will still be able to access your files which is why you still get credit scores etc from you rCC provider and bank.

I did have some fun recently when some damn doctors office tried to collect on a $278 bogus bill for a test I NEVER had. The little office puke started to threaten me with " reporting me to the credit bureaus etc...blah blah..." I responded by telling her that "I could care less. For all I care my score could be ZERO since I no longer use credit and GO POUND SAND..report your little heart out ! " Never heard from them again.
aggie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Last year I had the same experience with a car dealer. The money guy insisted I allow a credit check. I insisted that, since I was paying cash, my credit score was irrelevant. He would not budge. I asked to speak to the general manager and informed him that he had a decision to make - no credit check or lose a $40K sale. Guess what? He decided that they really didn't need a credit check after all. Threatening to walk away works wonders. And be prepared to do so. Refuse to be bullied by idiots who are following a script.
Bought a new car a few months ago. Paid cash. The finance guy asked for SS#, told him NO.. none of his business. He said that any transaction over $10,000 required that they report to the feds ( damn stupid war on drugs) and ABSOLUTELY that's all it will be used for so I gave in. Came back few minutes later and said that they needed me to unfreeze. Again...NO... not using credit and my credit info in none of their business and I'm already mad as hell cause he LIED and used my SS# for a credit check... Take my damn check or save us both time and I will walk. I got a little loud deliberately. In a matter of moments some suit walked in asked what the problem was to whit I took over th conversation not allowing the finance clown a word. He asked us to step into his office, apologized and immediately finished the deal with no hassle.
aggie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredunder50 View Post
I quickly learned that freezing really worked when my clearance was up for its renewal and the investigative service called me to please unfreeze so my credit could be checked.
FYI, this is no longer required. We received an e-mail from our security person that a part of the law that made freezing/thawing free also gave access to the folks for clearance re-investigations.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Still doesn't work today. Is it just me, or can anyone else log into equifax on "https://www.equifax.com/personal/credit-report-services/" and thaw online? I don't even get logged on, so you could just try to log on (if you have created an account).

I do use a spamgourmet email address with them, since we know they can't be trusted with personal information. I suppose that could be throwing a wrench in it. When I click the password reset button, I don't get an email either, and it's not logged as coming through spamgourmet either.
Just froze my credit at the other big 2, but equifax STILL is not working correctly.
I go through the whole thing, answer the dumb questions, and it says they will mail me a letter or I can phone.
I phone, and lady answered pretty fast, but told me their system was down and to phone back in 30 minutes..
Heck with that, I clicked on the button "mail me a confirmation code" Let them pay $ to mail me paper
Old 02-09-2019, 07:29 PM   #36

I called Equifax and said I was unable to log on to the freeze/thaw account I had created. The rep said she saw the account, and that there was an error on their end. She said the problem was escalated to the technical support department and I should expect to get an email when the problem is solved. I'll believe THAT when I see it!
Old 02-10-2019, 05:04 AM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
After test driving a Subaru (with the internet sales guy), he asked for my phone number. Not necessary, I told him. "Well, we guarantee you will not be bothered by sales calls, etc." No. I said. He persisted, so I walked out.

Lots of excuses from these guys/gals to get your info so they can snoop around or make sales calls.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:25 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I had to unfreeze my credit when I switched to T-Mobile cell phone. I had printed out the pin when I froze my credit, so no problem to that it. When I went to buy a car and write check for the car, the dealer needed to unfreeze my credit before they would accept the check. I wasn't prepared for that with the pin in hand, so didn't end up buying the car . I could have called the Credit bureau and dealt with it, but I didn't like the fact the dealer wouldn't call my bank. Still don't have a new car....
Quote:
After years of credit freeze, I had the need to unfreeze when purchasing a Toyota. Despite my paying all cash, the dealer claimed their procedures required a credit check.
So far I haven't had a problem. I just switched to Cricket Wireless and no credit check required. I was thinking this might be my first stumbling block. Put my payment on cc autopay so maybe that is why. And purchased a new suv last summer with no hassles whatsoever. Just handed over a check and that was it.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I don’t have experience with freezing /unfreezing but wanted to report my experience with credit checks at car dealers. I was shopping for a used car while waiting for home refi to close. I told them no credit check. I’ll pay cash or use credit union loan which didn’t require credit check. I ended up writing a personal check for the car which they accepted with no hesitation. A few weeks later I get their disclosure letter stating they had checked my credit. I was furious but when I looked into it I learned that giving them a personal check was implicit authorization for them to check my credit. Everything worked out, dealer is not sleazy, just poor communication process, IMO.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I don’t have experience with freezing /unfreezing but wanted to report my experience with credit checks at car dealers. I was shopping for a used car while waiting for home refi to close. I told them no credit check. I’ll pay cash or use credit union loan which didn’t require credit check. I ended up writing a personal check for the car which they accepted with no hesitation. A few weeks later I get their disclosure letter stating they had checked my credit. I was furious but when I looked into it I learned that giving them a personal check was implicit authorization for them to check my credit. Everything worked out, dealer is not sleazy, just poor communication process, IMO.
I never heard of that, all they have to do is cash the check, if it bounces that will happen with good or bad credit.

Did you read that somewhere else, or was it the car dealer that claimed that ??