Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-26-2016, 01:36 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Shined my own as a kid and young adult. Later in my career I usually had them done in an airport while traveling.

Since ER only wear sneakers, sandals and slippers other than funerals and weddings and my dress shoes are looking good so no need.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2016, 02:12 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Still shining my own. Last time was...yesterday. Taught my 23 year old son how to do it a few weeks ago.
woodguy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I have several pair of cowboy boots. I keep them well shined and feel like a heel when they are not in good shapel
sanfanciscotreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I go in the oilfield on occasion. I have a pair of work boots with steel toes that are 30 years old (and look it). I have not shined them or put on any water repellent since new. DW has tried (unsuccessfully) to throw them out, but they got stopped at the door, so to say.

Those boots are a symbol and I'd feel like a newbie if I showed up at a well site with spit polished work boots. I would have no credibility either.

I had a pair of Johnson & Murphy wingtips for years that received new soles and heels a few times. I polished them frequently.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I shine up my work shoes 2-3 times/year. Never paid to have it done. I don't get obsessed over it, but do think a quick shine is lot better than buying new.

My working around the house and garage boots I treat the leather to keep them waterproofed mainly,but it should keep the leather softer as well.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:05 PM   #26

I have literally, never in my life, shined my shoes.

In my entire professional life I only wore shoes that even could have been shined perhaps 50 times over 30 years. Add in a few miscellaneous weddings and funerals and that has been my entire experience with dress shoes.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Have you polished your shoes?

I spent eight years in the military. Next question.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #28

I haven't shined a shoe in at least 50 years.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #29

Thanks for the reminder.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:40 PM   #30

I have a shine kit. Tennis shoes, shoe of choice, 85% of the time, so no need. I have a couple of leather shoes 1% use and they get shined. Oh, and the cow boy boots are spit shined. Just because it is a throw back to the military where boots are spit shined. Not so much anymore with the rough leather boots.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:03 PM   #31
Administrator

I enjoy polishing my shoes and always have. It is mindless relaxation, and a nice spit shine always makes me happy. When I was in the Navy, I eschewed the Corframs, because they make your feet sweat and are irrecoverable once scratched. Instead, I shined my leather shoes every day.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #32
Gone but not forgotten

The several references to shining military boots, reminded me of two hours spent back in 1957 when, as ROTC Cadets, we received our officer uniforms which included a pair of new combat boots... color Brown... It was the changeover from brown uniforms to green. The government still had hundreds of thousands of pairs of new boots, which were colored brown, so, we were issued cans of black dye to make the change. No matter how hard we tried, it was impossible to get the proverbial spit shine, so there were shortcuts to hours of rubbing in new wax to be acceptable to the OIC. Black gloss paint worked for about an hour, 'til your "buddy" scratched his name in the toe. The best answer was hair spray for a quickie "inspection" shine.

I think that qualifies me as being one of the last members of the old "brown shoe army".

From Wiki Answers:
Quote:
The switch to from brown to black boots, shoes & holsters etc began in late 1956 in progressed through early 1957. Brown shoes and boots were still being issued into the late 50's and soldiers had to buy black dye at the PX and dye them. I have heard of Vietnam soldiers who were issued brown boots, but that is consistent with Army policy over many years, to use what's found in the warehouses first. As in the combat boot in WW II, the double buckle boot replaced the hightop shoe and leggins as supplies became available in 1944 and into Korea, until finally everyone had correct issued combat boots. I was on active duty at that time and recall the hassle we had dying all the leather.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I can smell that Kiwi polish like it was yesterday. I always wondered about that funny looking bird on the tin can and whether it was real?
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #34

Yep, for work I have a variety of leather shoes and boots that I wear and I polish them a couple times a month. My husband wears leather shoes too and polishes them weekly.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:28 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I had my shoes shined exactly once. In Las Vegas once, the men's room attendant offered. Since I was on vacation I decided to treat myself to this perk.
Nowadays shoe polishing has been relegated to the same category as tie-wearing.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:49 PM   #36

I don't wear shoes that need shining.

OTOH, I had a shoelace break so I went by a shoe store to get a replacement. The clerk looked at me funny and told me, "oh no, we don't carry THOSE! You'll have to go to a shoe repair store, and I don't know where any of those are any more." Later I picked up some laces at Wally World.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:28 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Lots of shining in the Air Force days. On occasion I would splurge on the guy who hung outside the military hotel in Incirlik, Turkey. For about $5, you would get a shine that would last a month. Oh and the chicken tava...mmm, I did enjoy Turkey!

Sent via mobile device. Please excuse any grammatical errors.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:56 PM   #38

No I only wear sandals and flip flops. California culture.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-26-2016, 09:21 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
No I only wear sandals and flip flops. California culture,

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
How do you shine flip flops?
This!
Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Shined up a couple pair of golf shoes a few days back. I also shine my dress shoes every now and then, but they do not get the level of use like they used to.
Dwhit is offline   Reply With Quote