Have you sold diamonds lately?

fern

Dryer sheet aficionado
Anyone have a positive experience with a particular company selling diamonds? Seems like practically everyone will buy your gold these days, but i'm having trouble finding a local outfit (CT) who buys diamonds, and i'm interested in unloading one.

Anyone have a positive experience with a particular company selling diamonds? ... but i'm having trouble finding a local outfit who buys diamonds, and i'm interested in unloading one.

haha's been posting a lot of marriage-related questions lately....:D

I think that you will find that diamonds are sold, not bought. Good luck.

If you are within a day trip of NYC, there is an entire jewelry district of people who would love to see you.

We have an internal "trading" forum at work. People are always posting used diamond jewelry at what they insist are "bargain" prices, citing "appraised value" as proof. (Some of the sellers' terminology is funny - "engagement ring with 3 carrots total weight," anyone?)

Their real aim is to sell it to some new sucker for just about what they paid for it themselves, or a bit less than Zales or Kay Jewelers sells it for new. I don't know how successful these sellers generally are, but the engagement ring ads rarely appear more than a couple weeks in a row.

Amethyst

LOL.. that is what I was thinking....

And if you do get someone who will buy... they will tell you how crappy yours is and how little it is worth... and offer you 50% of the retail cost...

If you are within a day trip of NYC, there is an entire jewelry district of people who would love to see you.
Also in Chicago since we don't know where you are...

They get some nice appraisals on the Antiques Roadshow, which causes me to scream "Sell, sell!" at the screen.

Maybe get it appraised and then donate it for the tax writeoff.

From another thread
Most annuities in this country are sold rather than being bought. Generally, an insurance salesman, or financial "helper", invites you for a free financial consulting.

Maybe it could be traded for an indexed annuity?:D

+1 on all the comments bashing the diamond industry.

To add to the financial pain inflicted by the diamond industry is insurance - having to pay insurance premiums based on the inflated "appraised" value. The sad reality is that most people would be better off having their diamonds stolen rather than sell them.

Of course, if I tried to sell any of my wife's jewellery, she would probably put my kidneys on e-bay.

Several years ago....my 2 ct diamond was appraised by a jewelry store. The appraisal came back and the diamond had a crack in it (princess cut..crack under one of the prongs). It was insured. Interesting thing..that the store that appraised it then wanted to "replace" it for me when I received the insurance money. Of course they did .....but it made me suspicious...especially since I became suspicious as to how that crack got there.

So I took the insurance money turning the ring over to the insurer. It was the most I ever received for a diamond. I became so disenchanted with return on value for jewelry that I stopped buying it.

Diamonds are unfortunately not really worth much, the entire diamond industry is a marketing trick.

Amen. Which is why I do not waste my money on them. Don't get me wrong I like, scratch that, love bling as much as the next woman but the fakes have gotten so good I save my money and buy them instead.

Back
Top Bottom