Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-13-2008, 10:04 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

All his rationalizations sound like something you hear in one of those "Real Estate Seminars". I'll bet he's busy looking for another investment so he can fulfill his "passion".

As they say, a fool and his money are soon parted.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can you say "retard?" I thought you could.

At least when I read accounts like this one (and the iamfacingforeclosure.com moron), my own investing mistakes don't seem so bad.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
This guy stuck 10-40% down on the places and didn't bail out soon enough, or have the means to hold onto some of them (which i find odd). I don't know how the stock market is going to move, but have money in it anyway - don't see much difference.
If you have used margin to speculate on penny stocks that you know nothing about, then you're correct, there is no difference.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

My guess is that he really had short-term goals for this "investment". Something like a 50% return, rather than a comfortable S&P index. Taxes and maintenance would cost far more than fees and dividend expenses for stocks.

He can't really have thought much about this.
A854321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 02:21 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Brewer, I thought of the same thing. But, this guy one-upped iamfacingforclosure-casey. Casey only had 8 properties.

-CC
Old 05-13-2008, 04:04 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
Brewer, I thought of the same thing. But, this guy one-upped iamfacingforclosure-casey. Casey only had 8 properties.

-CC
Yeah, but Casey didn't sink $800k into them I wonder how much property value he controlled. Hard to burn that much cash if you have tenants, etc. unless you are really leveraged.

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 12:10 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

My favorite was the end quote
Quote:
Where I went wrong is I invested heavily in an area that wasn't my passion and I had a really demanding full-time job so I couldn't pay attention to nuances, the little indicators telling you the housing market was going soft," he said. "I was in over my head."

800K in stock options is pretty nice. I know plenty of people in Silicon Valley that worked for many companies over many years and made almost nothing on stock options.

I have zero sympathy for the guy because bankruptcy is not a victim less action. If you own an S&P 500 or total marketing index fund, some money he isn't paying back was supposed to go to companies we collectively own.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:35 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Can you say "retard?" I thought you could.

At least when I read accounts like this one (and the iamfacingforeclosure.com moron), my own investing mistakes don't seem so bad.
"mistake" is buying one bad home investment. "retard" applies for a half dozen or more.

There must be a burning "gambling passion" within seemingly rational folks that causes them to ignore risk and put so much concentration in one investment.

I met a customer yesterday - 60 years old, engineer, painfully logical and methodical, successful corporate career -- turns out he bought 6 houses/properties in Florida a couple years ago - each financed with multiple mortgages (a total of 12 mortgage companies involved).

There's clearly individual "investing blind spots" - maybe everyone has them - that's were bouncing ideas off a mentor, advisor, this board, your dog (well not dog...) might help expose them.
Delawaredave5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:01 AM   #29

Wonder what these people learned from this experience. If they tough it out - rather than throw in the towel via bankrupcy - the experience can be life altering.

Obviously they'll learn persistence and determination (something they missed as kids if bankrupcy is the first consideration). And honoring the contract you signed.

They'll learn to LBYM to keep the bills paid.

They'll learn a life time of plumbing, electrical and carpentry tricks because they'll have to service the units themselves.

But most importantly, they'll remain active enough in the RE market to identify a bottom (having bought at the top). This will present an opportunity to offset thier losses with gains from other property.

That's how it went for me.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:07 AM   #30

I think the concept- 800k invested into 10 different properties makes sense. The execution of the concept- using negative ammortization loans- was weak and not well thought out.

I could not see a negative ammortization loan ever helping, unless property appreciated faster than loan accumulated.

Why he just wouldn't raise rent to cover the true cost of the property is beyond me.

One person's stupidity is another person's job security. Why the bank would make a loan like this is well beyond me.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:20 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
I think the concept- 800k invested into 10 different properties makes sense. The execution of the concept- using negative ammortization loans- was weak and not well thought out.

I could not see a negative ammortization loan ever helping, unless property appreciated faster than loan accumulated.
Just a guess, but the neg am loans were probably the only way the cash flow from the properties could service the debt on those overpriced purchases.

- George Orwell

Old 05-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #32

Quote:
Why he just wouldn't raise rent to cover the true cost of the property is beyond me.
Presumably the rents were already at market rates. Or the tenants held relatively long-term leases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiMOh View Post
One person's stupidity is another person's job security. Why the bank would make a loan like this is well beyond me.
You've essentially answered your own question! There's no shortage of fools employed by the American banks.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #33

I feel sorry for the family.....he will always be chasing that next "get rich quick" scheme.
BTW....I am digging the hair!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Let me get this straight.
$800k / 9 properties = $89k on average
Why would he need an negative amortization loan, unless he didn't stand a chance on paying the bills in the first place (by tenants)?

I'm guessing that there was a little bit of "stretching the truth" on his part between each of the various lenders.

I honestly would hope I'd spend $800k in options better than this, especially after making statements like "On the surface it looks like total devastation but it's just the opposite. I'm confident our lives will be much, much richer as a result.".
Is there really that much money to be had out in CA?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself View Post
Let me get this straight.
$800k / 9 properties = $89k on average
Why would he need an negative amortization loan, unless he didn't stand a chance on paying the bills in the first place (by tenants)?
At the height of the bubble, rents would in no way cover property costs plus debt service at 80% LTV with even an interest only mortgage. Shmuckster did his deals with the only instrument that might work (for a while): negative am loans.

- George Orwell

Old 05-14-2008, 09:48 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by myself View Post
Let me get this straight. $800k / 9 properties = $89k on average Why would he need an negative amortization loan, unless he didn't stand a chance on paying the bills in the first place (by tenants)?

I'm guessing that there was a little bit of "stretching the truth" on his part between each of the various lenders.
I wonder if the alleged $800,000 in stock options ever existed in the first place. Any one who claims that bakruptcy will enrich his family's lives is capable of saying / believing almost anything.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:23 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Why the bank would make a loan like this is well beyond me.
Because they knew the government would bail them out with your tax money when the loans went bad.
Consult with only myself as your adviser or representative. My thoughts should be construed as investment advice of the highest caliber. Past performance is but a pale shadow and guarantee of even greater results in the future.
barbarus is offline   Reply With Quote