He is so frugal he......

We keep rice and macaroni in a couple glass Tang containers that are at least 40 years old.

I still have 35mm film containers (plastic cylinders) in the basement just in case I find some use for them someday.

We keep rice and macaroni in a couple glass Tang containers that are at least 40 years old.

I still have 35mm film containers (plastic cylinders) in the basement just in case I find some use for them someday.

These are just the right size for any stash of quarters you might keep in the glove compartment, for parking meters or vending machines or toll roads. I'll bet they would work for earbuds, too (although we have always used the metal Altoids boxes instead).

I still have (and use for beverages) those plain glass jars Welch's grape jelly had been sold in during the '60s. These days non-wasteful frugality goes by different name: "green".

I only have one really wealthy friend. He is steeped in frugality, and has a story that he tells about his mom, who recently passed away at age 96. Despite her wealth, and I remember this from college years... she washed Saran Wrap, and hung it out on a clothesline.

How silly... we use a steamer to flatten it, and dry it on a towel. :blush:

My parents were born in the early-mid 1920's and like many folk from that era, were particularly frugal by modern standards. On top of that, my father was quite pre-occupied with neatness. Nowadays, he would probably be referred to as OCD, or something similar. Like many other frugal people, very little was thrown away and all manner of items were re-purposed. In the case of my father, his obsession with neatness, and his desire to maximize efficiency and always use space in the best way possible, led him to take a great deal of care when packing trash into the garbage can (or rubbish bin as I think we used to call them in England). Trash of different types (food or non-food, and also sorted according to size and shape) would first be packed, as it was being generated, in old milk cartons, tin cans, bags etc. Then, just before trash collection day, he would carefully pack them into the plastic bag that fitted into the rubbish bin. IIRC, larger, flatter items were packed at the bottom to evenly distribute the weight of the trash along the bottom of the bad and prevent it from bursting, then everything else was packed in, according to his fairly stringent pre-determined rules. I won't even attempt to guess what some of them were!

This isn't so much a story about frugality, as it is about OCD-type behavior. It somehow fits in with my parent's frugality though, as this extreme attention to detail and neatness by my father led both my parents to achieve all kinds of savings throughout their lives. One of these days I should write a small book!

All those little frugal habits add up. 25 frugal habits each saving 15 cents a day is $14,600 in ten years, not including interest. That is like getting a decent used car for free every ten years.

Yep. I think that was my parent's thinking too. If you're naturally pre-occupied with small details, then extreme frugality is not a hardship at all.

I just cannot believe how many of the big spenders here are buying lunches at McDonald's! Bringing your own lunch is frugal. There is not a shade of doubt that this Igloo cooler has saved me well into five figures over the years. Not a bad ROI for a $12 cooler.

When my sisters and I were cleaning out Mom's house prior to her moving we were amazed at how many plastic butter dishes and plastic bags were stuffed under the kitchen sink. It seemed like thousands but it was probably only hundreds. We had to be sneaky about throwing them out and made sure some made the move to her apartment.

I think it was REWahoo who pointed out that the day may come when we regret doing that when the grocery stores are awash in butter but have no plastic dishes to put it in.

Attachments

• Lunch_box.jpg
    Lunch_box.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 30
Yep. I think that was my parent's thinking too. If you're naturally pre-occupied with small details, then extreme frugality is not a hardship at all.

One of my friends laughed at me when I made something that generated $4 a day in royalty type income after a few afternoons of work. She started sending me job leads for internships and minimum wage jobs because she thought we must be broke because I was so excited over $4. I tried to explain about passive income but she never quite got it, so I ended up just thanking her for the leads.

My little venture has made $12K to date through the years for a few afternoons of work. Not a big killing moneywise in any given year but the nickles add up over time, and per hour of work I made around $1K per hour.

I've got a work colleague who cooks up some large pasta dish full of everything on a sunday at home and he brings portions of it to work for the first 2/3 days of the week and microwaves it at lunchtime. I just waste money on fancy sandwiches everyday.

My wife likes to eat out for breakfast.

She orders her breakfast and I eat her hashbrowns. A side of toast is almost $2 and I buy a whole loaf for $1 at the $.99 store. So I make 2 hashbrown sandwiches with the toast I smuggle in.

How can you claim to be frugal if you buy butter in a tub and cool whip ? What, real butter and cream are not good enough for y'all?:D

I have recently started to bring my own beer into a pub, I'll buy the first beer but then start filling the glass from my own supply which I have smuggled in when I'm out of range of CCTV. This isn't simply to save money but partly because I like good quality beer and some of the pubs that I go to serve crap beer.

One of my best investments when I was working.

Attachments

• thermos.jpg
    thermos.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 445
My wife likes to eat out for breakfast.

She orders her breakfast and I eat her hashbrowns. A side of toast is almost $2 and I buy a whole loaf for $1 at the $.99 store. So I make 2 hashbrown sandwiches with the toast I smuggle in.

I love the smuggled toast!

We went to a bagel place for lunch with an entertainment coupon so our sandwiches were 2 for 1. I of course didn't want to spend more, so I packed my lunch bag with 2 cans of pop which we drank in the car afterwards.

I've seen/heard folks using pliers to get the last milligram of toothpaste out of the tube.

I remember, back in the day...

...those were very popular, at one time, for keeping a green/brown vegetable matter...which was also very popular in my circle of friends.

Pb4uski,
My Grandmother raised a family through the depression, and she was always very frugal.
For example:
- She would sit in the dark with all of the lights turned off. I stopped to visit, thought she was out, but she would answer the door when I knocked. I asked her why no lights, and she said she was just thinking, and didn't need to waste the electricity. She proudly told me that the electrical company had stopped over one day to see if anyone was living in the house, because her usage was so low.

- She also would double dip the tea bags. First into her cup for a short moment, and then into my cup. I balked when I caught her trying to start with a used tea bag.
Note: She could afford tea bags.

Kind of funny.

JP

My dad, who was born in the mid-20s used to pick up nuts and bolts that he'd find in the gutter or on the sidewalk. Run a die over the bolts or a tap through the nuts and he considered them as good as new. My mom didn't want them after he passed away, so I now have a cabinet in the garage that is full of jars of assorted nuts and bolts.

Along similar lines, I will stop and pick up a penny or any other denomination that I might encounter while walking. I once encountered a quarter that was epoxied to the sidewalk. I suppose someone nearby thought that was a funny joke to play on passersby. The location was near my workplace, so I just went back to work, grabbed a hammer and chisel, and that quarter was mine.

My wife reuses the good plastic containers. The good jar-sized and sturdy ones are repurposed to store pasta or dry goods. The smaller ones are good to let dinner guests take home leftovers, and they do not have to worry about returning them. And as we host big family get-togethers all the time, that is frugal and practical at the same time.

About reusing ziploc bags, my wife would rinse out and reuse the bags for vegetable once more to store meat. Then, they get discarded.

Yeah, I've always wondered why most people only use one side of the toilet paper. Wasteful in the extreme!

Sheesh! We get so many threads like this that inevitably lead to the Four Yorkshireman ...

Once upon a time in a swamp far far away - shut off the electricity only use it in a compressed period to run the water pump, wash, and cook. Cut up swamp wood(blown in by storms and hurricanes for heat, forget A/C wear a sweater at work so your body can take La heat. Clothes line - dryer not needed. Beater car - car pool when you can.

No breakfast, and Sam's Club type granola bars during day and Red beans and rice types for dinner.

heh heh heh - great theory which I violated on a irregular basis - after all it was New Orleans. However did max deduct 401k/IRA and lived on the rest. :cool: Makes a huge difference when total utilities are less than $50/mo for electricity and dial up phone - no property tax because of 75K homestead exemption. Garbage pickup was free because we lived in urban unimproved - the official moniker for slum. :LOL: :D

Back
Top Bottom